Trip to Japan (Help)

FinestRyeBread

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

2 minutes ago, FinestRyeBread said:

Are there like dorm like things instead of the traditional hotel?

Dorm and hostel?

http://www.hostels.com/tokyo/japan

try this

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

12 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

Dorm and hostel?

http://www.hostels.com/tokyo/japan

try this

Looks like something that would work

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

1 hour ago, FinestRyeBread said:

More questions may pop up

The thing with traveling is you must travel light. When I backpacked it through europe I saw so many travelers with big heavy bags that rolled on wheels. I'd say about 60L backpack is good for long stints, one with lots of pockets. Use a garbage bag for dirty clothing. Whatever you buy send back home in the mail. For accomodations, hostels are the best way to go. Buy a travel book, make a plan and rip out the pages you wont be using.

MEC Serratus 85 Backpack - Unisex

4 hours ago, Jack the Stripper said:

The thing with traveling is you must travel light. When I backpacked it through europe I saw so many travelers with big heavy bags that rolled on wheels. I'd say about 60L backpack is good for long stints, one with lots of pockets. Use a garbage bag for dirty clothing. Whatever you buy send back home in the mail. For accomodations, hostels are the best way to go. Buy a travel book, make a plan and rip out the pages you wont be using.

MEC Serratus 85 Backpack - Unisex

60L packs are magical. Just my experience from hiking, but they store all you need and some room for power bars. Much easier to walk around with too. 

- snip-

A hostel is a cheaper alternative to a hotel, and while I can't help much on the sightseeing and shopping this thread might help with some information (although you might be better off asking for more current information as that thread is at least two years old) plus there would be certain places that are used as locations in certain anime that you can visit.

17 hours ago, FinestRyeBread said:

places where I can buy gaming/anime stuff.

I should first disclaim that I have lived in Japan for half a year, but it was about 20 years ago and I haven't been back since. I might be out of date on some things.

There is a chain store called Animate and you can find them pretty much everywhere. They do all sorts of merchandise. Manga stores are also pretty much everywhere.

If there are certain games/anime you like, it is worth checking if there are places of interest. For example, there's the ghibli museum, and pokemon centres. There are various themed cafes also. Akihabara is still a significant location and worth a visit if you are in Tokyo area.

16 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

also when traveling on buses and train.

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT TALK on your mobile phone.

The spacing is a bit odd there, but to clarify, are you only talking about not speaking on phones on public transport, or more in general? They didn't exist while was there, but I do understand it is not the done thing to talk on a phone on public transport.

16 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

mobile phone signals are known to affect pacemakers and other medical equipment that some elderly folks uses.

Medical equipment on a person would be designed to cope with day to day activities including mobile phone usage in close proximity. This is NOT the reason to not use it.

I missed the quote on speaking English... in my experience most wont have any useful speaking level. I didn't find Japan any more difficult to live in than other places I didn't know the language. It can help to learn some basic words and phrases before going.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I suggest to read this exact Quora answer(link below) and read other answers to the same question, the answers have been given by people that moved to Japan, went on holiday or anything like that. it are a total of 28 answers, each with their own story. the one that I linked is the best rated answer by viewers.
since each answer has different tips I suggest to read them all, I picked the most convenient once to link with most general/all-round information, but there is certainly more!

exact answer:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-hardest-adjustments-to-make-when-visiting-Japan/answer/Graham-D-Brown?srid=aNCE

question in general:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-hardest-adjustments-to-make-when-visiting-Japan

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 hour ago, porina said:

I should first disclaim that I have lived in Japan for half a year, but it was about 20 years ago and I haven't been back since. I might be out of date on some things.

There is a chain store called Animate and you can find them pretty much everywhere. They do all sorts of merchandise. Manga stores are also pretty much everywhere.

If there are certain games/anime you like, it is worth checking if there are places of interest. For example, there's the ghibli museum, and pokemon centres. There are various themed cafes also. Akihabara is still a significant location and worth a visit if you are in Tokyo area.

The spacing is a bit odd there, but to clarify, are you only talking about not speaking on phones on public transport, or more in general? They didn't exist while was there, but I do understand it is not the done thing to talk on a phone on public transport.

Medical equipment on a person would be designed to cope with day to day activities including mobile phone usage in close proximity. This is NOT the reason to not use it.

I missed the quote on speaking English... in my experience most wont have any useful speaking level. I didn't find Japan any more difficult to live in than other places I didn't know the language. It can help to learn some basic words and phrases before going.

my trip to japan was a few years back but the no talking on the mobile phone still stands in public transport be it buses or trains. Yes modern medical equipment are suppose to tank the bombardment of mobile phone signals but we do not know if the person next to you is carrying or using any sort of sensitive equipment. In general, if you are talking loudly on your mobile phone it still considered rude and its frown upon. You are attracting a lot of stares. If its an urgent call, move to in between the carriages area to speak to the other party.

their grasp of english confuses me sometimes, i was quite surprised the younger generation have difficulty forming a sentence when they speak to us. I do need to use gestures and pointing to certain direction or items for them to understand. Although they are really helpful and try their best to point to the right direction when i was lost.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

4 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

my trip to japan was a few years back but the no talking on the mobile phone still stands in public transport be it buses or trains. Yes modern medical equipment are suppose to tank the bombardment of mobile phone signals but we do not know if the person next to you is carrying or using any sort of sensitive equipment. In general, if you are talking loudly on your mobile phone it still considered rude and its frown upon. You are attracting a lot of stares. If its an urgent call, move to in between the carriages area to speak to the other party.

their grasp of english confuses me sometimes, i was quite surprised the younger generation have difficulty forming a sentence when they speak to us. I do need to use gestures and pointing to certain direction or items for them to understand. Although they are really helpful and try their best to point to the right direction when i was lost.

In the Chinese culture, we tend keep to ourselves. We don't get affectionate in public and family matters. I see why they do this.

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

I suggest to read this exact Quora answer(link below) and read other answers to the same question, the answers have been given by people that moved to Japan, went on holiday or anything like that. it are a total of 28 answers, each with their own story. the one that I linked is the best rated answer by viewers.
since each answer has different tips I suggest to read them all, I picked the most convenient once to link with most general/all-round information, but there is certainly more!

exact answer:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-hardest-adjustments-to-make-when-visiting-Japan/answer/Graham-D-Brown?srid=aNCE

question in general:

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-hardest-adjustments-to-make-when-visiting-Japan

there is one taboo that you should no do with soy sauce and wasabi.

DO NOT MIX them together!

the chef will be staring at you thinking WTF are you doing?

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

there is one taboo that you should no do with soy sauce and wasabi.

DO NOT MIX them together!

the chef will be staring at you thinking WTF are you doing?

I'm fairly certain that I read that somewhere.

19 hours ago, FinestRyeBread said:

Hi everyone. Just need to gather some info for this trip. The trip will be in the summer of 2017. Most likely around June or so and the trip will be about 2 weeks.

I want everyone's input on this. (Don't say "google it"). I want to know where are good places to visit, sightsee, good food and places where I can buy gaming/anime stuff.

What type of housing should I go for 2 heterosexual males? I'm fairly certain hotels are going to cost an arm and a half.

For the Chinese who knows Japanese: How hard is to learn Japanese when you already know Chinese? What are some good ways of learning it? Mind you, I have uni and work to attend to but I am willing to learn online.

What's the fashion for Japan?

More questions may pop up.

Thanks in advanced everyone.

Thing is you can't Google it (assuming your in China.) You've gotta 百度一新 :D.

For the english people out here, Google is banned in china so they use a search engine called Baidu (百度) and as we use the phrase "let me Google that" or "Google it" they use "Baidu that for a moment" (百度一新).

I have more dedocated WAM than you on my Minecraft server!

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

i5 4460 w/ Raijintek Aidos cooler

XFX TS 650W PSU

Cheap OEM Acer motherboard w/ Cheap dollar tree Micro-ATX case

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1TB Seagate Barracuda HHD

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

1 minute ago, somerandomguy12 said:

Thing is you can't Google it (assuming your in China.) You've gotta 百度一新 :D.

For the english people out here, Google is banned in china so they use a search engine called baidu (百度) and as we use the phrase "let me Google that" or "Google it" they use "Baidu that for a moment" (百度一新).

I'm in the states but I know Chinese. Just trying to learn some Japanese before I go.

8 minutes ago, FinestRyeBread said:

I'm fairly certain that I read that somewhere.

also when dipping the sushi in soy sauce

only dip it on the fish/meat part

not the rice part

Just now, FinestRyeBread said:

I'm in the states but I know Chinese. Just trying to learn some Japanese before I go.

Okay. Why is your location "CHINA NUMBA ONE"? Just seems a bit... ramdom.

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

also when dipping the sushi in soy sauce

only dip it on the fish/meat part

not the rice part

This is new knowledge, thanks.

Just now, somerandomguy12 said:

Okay. Why is your location "CHINA NUMBA ONE"? Just seems a bit... ramdom.

cuz I'm Chinese lol. I'm proud of my heritage. I mean...your name is a bit random....kek

Just now, FinestRyeBread said:

cuz I'm Chinese lol. I'm proud of my heritage. I mean...your name is a bit random....kek

好的。

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

When I went to Japan a couple of weeks ago, we hit Tokyo and Nara, both are places I would definitely recommend.

For stuff to do in Tokyo:

• Go to Odaiba, visit the Miraikan science museum.
  • Visit Harajuku and the Meiji-jingu Shrine.
  • DEFINETLY visit Akihabara if you're big into video games of anime, it's a paradise.
  • Go to the top of Tokyo Tower and just get a brief idea of the sheer scale of Tokyo, it's insane.

Information: Tokyo is big. It's not just a quick 20 minute subway hop from "Uptown" to the neighborhoods. It's an hour long bus ride to get pretty much anywhere (assuming you get on something chartered, if not then RIP)

Tokyo is BIIIIIIGGGGGG, there's no way anybody can list all of the cool places to go. I'd suggest taking a day to explore and just discover. Don't be afraid to roam the city, it's very safe and very friendly. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine.

I personally experienced a lot more anti-western hate in Osaka, but that may have been a coincidence.

Travel:

Unless you're in Business class, you're in for a bad time coming from America. Just stock up on food and drinks, try to snag a premium economy seat, and BRING A NECK PILLOW!!!!!

ANA and JAL are your best bets, but out of the times I have flow there, DAL was by far and away not the worst experience I had traveling there. Avoid United!

Lodging:

If you can find a homestay (with enough room) DO IT! It's a great experience that you won't regret. The Japanese home life is a completely different experience than staying in a hotel. If you feel uncomfortable with talking a lot or just being around new people, I'd go ahead and pass on it this time around.\

"Bucket List Items"

• Visit Family Mart, Lawson Station, and 7&iHoldings. All three are great.
  • Try to go to Miraikan in time for one of their Asimo robot demonstrations. If you love AI, it's awesome fun. If you fear the Matrix, it will make you piss your pants.
  • Go over the Rainbow Bridge. Just do it.
  • Travel to another city via Bullet Train. The fastest the train ever gets is on the Nozomi Superexpress line from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka.
  • Visit Kyoto/Osaka/Nara. All very close together, all full of amazing history, food, and museums. Must see!
  • Drink Pocari Sweat. It sounds nasty, but it's just kinda like propel. It's good.

1 hour ago, Eyal said:

Where do you plan to visit?

Tokyo, Osaka, Okinawa, Akihabara and others. Might cut some off due to lots of travelling.

1 minute ago, FinestRyeBread said:

Tokyo, Osaka, Okinawa, Akihabara and others. Might cut some off due to lots of travelling.

Tokyo, Akihabara and Osaka will be doable for 2 weeks

Okinawa might be rushing unless you give or take 1 or 2 more days for flying from Okinawa to Tokyo and fro