"Comcast is donating heavily to defeat the mayor who is bringing gigabit fiber to Seattle"

TopWargamer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/31/comcast-is-donating-heavily-to-defeat-the-mayor-who-is-bringing-gigabit-fiber-to-seattle/

One of Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn's big policy initiatives has been expanding the quality and quantity of high-speed Internet access throughout the city. A public-private partnership plans to offer higher speeds at lower prices than most broadband providers currently offer. And incumbent providers, particularly Comcast, have invested heavily in defeating McGinn in Tuesday's mayoral election. While Comcast denies there is any connection between McGinn's broadband policies and their donations, the company has given thousands of dollars to PACs that have, in turn, given heavily to anti-McGinn groups.

I don't even get why Comcast tries to hide it. This is definitely something that I could see them doing, and I'm 99.9% sure that they did. It's a dirty trick and Comcast should be ashamed for doing it. They're an ISP. They should WANT the global Internet structure to get better in order to have better speeds, yet they don't want this. This kind of logic that a majority of ISPs possess just makes no sense to me. They slow down the overall progress and hold us back. 

COMIC SANS

Thanks to Comcast, I have 9Mb down 4Mb up

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Comcast could be the new EA on the WAN show.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Heaven forbid the ISPs actually try to fix their horrendous services when it's so much more cost effective to bribe via the forces of shameless lobbyists.

I wish Time Warner upgraded to fiber but, I no that is a dream that will never come true any time soon. So once an ISP offers fiber in my area I'm switching right away. 

I hate that I pay for 50 down and 5 up but when I try to actually utilize it all I get throttled...

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I hate Comcast now. I wish they weren't the "only" ISP in NH. I live in old fart town so I think that may be why.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Heaven forbid the ISPs actually try to fix their horrendous services when it's so much more cost effective to bribe via the forces of shameless lobbyists.

Charter here in TN is actually being decent... Free HD boxes and  decently priced internet :D

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/31/comcast-is-donating-heavily-to-defeat-the-mayor-who-is-bringing-gigabit-fiber-to-seattle/

I don't even get why Comcast tries to hide it. This is definitely something that I could see them doing, and I'm 99.9% sure that they did. It's a dirty trick and Comcast should be ashamed for doing it. They're an ISP. They should WANT the global Internet structure to get better in order to have better speeds, yet they don't want this. This kind of logic that a majority of ISPs possess just makes no sense to me. They slow down the overall progress and hold us back. 

what do you mean you don't get the logic behind Comcast wanting to monopolize broadband?  Of course they're going to pay to eliminate the competition that way consumer will have no choice but to go to comcast and pay a premium.  Trust me when I say this when gigabit is available for cheap, everybody will leave comcast for it.

Thanks to Comcast, I have 9Mb down 4Mb up

To be honest, that's not that bad depending on how much you pay.

I pay ~$100 for 20Mb down 2Mb up from AT&T. I'd kill for more upload....not literally obviously.

I pay ~$100 for 20Mb down 2Mb up from AT&T. I'd kill for more upload....not literally obviously.

I pay around the same price with Verizon and I get 75 down, 35. Jeez, AT&T is really ripping you off. 

COMIC SANS

yeah that is what I get for $90 a month on time warner. When sprint is having a good day my phones gets faster speeds than that(30down/15up)

I wanna find the CEO of Comcast and the finder of the Anti-mcminn, and just slap them. Just slap them.

These are the fools holding us back from gigabyte Internet.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

I dont understand big isps that freak out when people come along and try to better the internet for everyone they could of done this for ages and wouldnt have this problem but no they have to money sucking dogs and then wait for people like the mayor and government to come along and do it them selves then they act like its a surprise and freak out really people want faster internet? i never knew derp -_-

No monopoly wants to give up there precious stance on being (basically) the only decent service offer out there - that should be plain enough for everyone to understand. Monopolies can rape their customers over the coals on something that has basically become as needed as gas. Heck, for those who work from home, internet is typically as or more important than gas (at least directly).

I know Comcast makes terrible decisions, but they went from 25mbs down 5mbs up to 60mbs down 12mbs up when I "surpassed" the invisible cap of 350gb a month FOR FREE. So I guess it's area based...

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

No monopoly wants to give up there precious stance on being (basically) the only decent service offer out there - that should be plain enough for everyone to understand. Monopolies can rape their customers over the coals on something that has basically become as needed as gas. Heck, for those who work from home, internet is typically as or more important than gas (at least directly).

It's not so much the monopoly that's the problem, but rather the government rules, regulations, laws, and police forces that create and enforce the monopolies. 

when a corporation lies in it's official statements, it should be a crime...

also when a politician lies, it should be considered treason

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I hate Comcast now. I wish they weren't the "only" ISP in NH. I live in old fart town so I think that may be why.

Another New Hampshirite! I live in Hillsborough County, does Fairpoint not service your area?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Another New Hampshirite! I live in Hillsborough County, does Fairpoint not service your area?

I live in Hillsborough County as well...except mine is in Florida and not New Hampshire.

>_>

COMIC SANS

I live in Hillsborough County as well...except mine is in Florida and not New Hampshire.

>_>

creepy. i'm moving BACK to hillsborough county.

IT SUCKS US IN NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think ISPs are deliberately failing to realize that their profits will soar after the initial setup cost of fiber. The demand is there.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

A Third one, I'm in Manchester, NH - unfortunately Fiber isn't available at my location so I'm stuck with Comcast, though I have to say, overall I haven't had too many problems with them - just a couple of calls here and there for the 3-4 years I've had them.