Nintendo Switch Specs: CPU and GPU Clock Speeds Reportedly Revealed

goodtofufriday
3 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Frankly, their chances with the "casual" market are better. Nintendo can't differentiate itself in the traditional console market.

I don't disagree, however it's still hard for them to recapture it (They sure as hell tried with the Wii U) and the rewards are another popularity bubble that easily bursts.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

No you didn't. Seriously, apply proof by contradiction. It won't close.

Sometimes I think that people on this forum honestly can't read, are too lazy to read or are just not that intelligent.

Of course people expressing a desire to purchase a product will affect the sales. The sales would be higher than if there was no desire to buy the product beforehand.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Says the European...

Self contradiction, love it!

The 16 Wii owners I know who are all getting the Switch despite NOT buying the Wii U. Or do you want to make the same bet Lawlz lost?

I don't remember making a bet with you.

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

@LAwLz FYI. Patrick is destroying you right here.

The only thing Patrick is destroying are my sides, from making me laugh too much. 

i think its safe to say that if the switch flops, nintendo will go under

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

1 minute ago, imPixelTV said:

i think its safe to say that if the switch flops, nintendo will go under

I don't even begin to believe that's the case. They may not do much of anything else outside of Japan, but you have to stop and consider just how huge of a Company they are in Japan. They have their fingers in enough pies outside gaming to last quite a while if the switch's ROIC is weak.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I don't even begin to believe that's the case. They may not do much of anything else outside of Japan, but you have to stop and consider just how huge of a Company they are in Japan. They have their fingers in enough pies outside gaming to last quite a while if the switch's ROIC is weak.

it'll at least contribute to their decline. nintendo (outside japan) has barely been profitable for a few years now

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

My Shield TV running a full fat X1 connected to a permanent power supply can just barely run games from 2005 at 1080p. It plays HL2 at above 45 fps (but doesn't look anywhere near as good as it does on PC) while GTA SA cannot run at max detail 1080p without stuttering and hitching (and it still looks terrible compared to the PC version).

If the Switch is going to be less powerful than the Shield TV then its going to fail hard.

How many people bought Nvidia shields? Not many. I actually dont know a single person with one.  So tell me again why  Nintendo's new console will fail cause your shield cant play games at 1080p? And you dont even know if the performance is worse. People have been waiting for a new handheld from Nintendo.  Not a new  android handheld from nvidia. Sorry.

4 minutes ago, Notree said:

How many people bought Nvidia shields? Not many. I actually dont know a single person with one.  So tell me again why  Nintendo's new console will fail cause your shield cant play games at 1080p? And you dont even know if the performance is worse. People have been waiting for a new handheld from Nintendo.  Not a new  android handheld from nvidia. Sorry.

...The Shield TV has the same SoC (CPU+GPU) that's reported to be in the Switch...

And it has double the CPU clock listed by the OP, one and a half the listed GPU clock when the Switch is docked, and almost 3 times the GPU clock when the Switch is undocked...

There's definitely some overhead in Android, but it's not so much as to magically triple your frame rate...

Ah well, still buying it even if it's specs are subpar...gotta support my favourite tech company that also holds my absolutely most favourite franchise...kirby :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

...The Shield TV has the same SoC (CPU+GPU) that's reported to be in the Switch...

And it has double the CPU clock listed by the OP, one and a half the listed GPU clock when the Switch is docked, and almost 3 times the GPU clock when the Switch is undocked...

There's definitely some overhead in Android, but it's not so much as to magically triple your frame rate...

Either way people are still waiting for a new Nintendo handheld. It will be far more powerful then the 3ds. Even the nes classic has more power.

Is it just me, or everytime i walk onto a thread where Patrickjp93 has posted, theres like 3 or 5 people bashing him... Why guys?

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Yeah but Nintendo games are 3 times shittier looking that I could buy.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Is it just me, or everytime i walk onto a thread where Patrickjp93 has posted, theres like 3 or 5 people bashing him... Why guys?

We're evil? No but seriously people in the spectrum tend to be very relentless and otherwise indistinguishable from trolls except they honestly do hold their positions and don't continue arguing to ridiculous extremes just to annoy you but out of just a personality trait.

-------

Current Rig

-------

am i the only one who doesnt want to play the latest COD on a nintendo system and just want it to be able to run the new zelda and mario games well which doesn't need a lot of power

24 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yeah but Nintendo games are 3 times shittier looking that I could buy.

games don't have to try to look ultra realistic all the time. nintendo has a more cartoony graphics style and it works for the types of games they are making. you think parents would let kids play a super realistic looking mario game with the goombas bursting and splattering blood everywhere when mario jumps on them. 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

am i the only one who doesnt want to play the latest COD on a nintendo system and just want it to be able to run the new zelda and mario games well which doesn't need a lot of power

You'd be a Nintendo fan, which is fine. Problem with that is there are not enough Nintendo fans out there to maintain a decent cash flow for Nintendo.

To remain profitable and relevant they have to attract new gamers to their platform, and the easiest way to do that is offer the same games your competitors offer. If they can tap into the "I don't want a DS but a PS4/XB1 costs to much" and the "I'm OK playing an inferior version because the bass hardware costs less" market then they might just make Switch profitable but no one is going to buy a Switch over the other options if all it has is Mario & Zelda games.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

games don't have to try to look ultra realistic all the time. nintendo has a more cartoony graphics style and it works for the types of games they are making. you think parents would let kids play a super realistic looking mario game with the goombas bursting and splattering blood everywhere when mario jumps on them. 

I know but saying "They manage to get a nice cartoon look with simple textures and low polygon counts while retaining the art style and spirit of their characters" takes a lot longer to type than "They look shittier"

The point is that they could do 1080p with way lower specs than the Shield. The best looking one seems to be Skyrim and it looks to be a port of the 2011 version so that's hardly a behemot to run when it comes to specs.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

You'd be a Nintendo fan, which is fine. Problem with that is there are not enough Nintendo fans out there to maintain a decent cash flow for Nintendo.

To remain profitable and relevant they have to attract new gamers to their platform, and the easiest way to do that is offer the same games your competitors offer. If they can tap into the "I don't want a DS but a PS4/XB1 costs to much" and the "I'm OK playing an inferior version because the bass hardware costs less" market then they might just make Switch profitable but no one is going to buy a Switch over the other options if all it has is Mario & Zelda games.

then they should be working on growing their fan base. even if their system can run COD better than xbox or playstation they are just not the type of company people go to for that so its pointless trying to compete in that. sure they might get a few informed techy gamers to switch if they do that but most gamers have no idea what the specs mean and go with what they are familiar with so they are just putting a bigger price barrier between their product and their target audience which are young kids who have to beg their parents to get them that new system. if the price of that system rises to more than that parent is willing to pay then they just have the informed techy gamers

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I know but saying "They manage to get a nice cartoon look with simple textures and low polygon counts while retaining the art style and spirit of their characters" takes a lot longer to type than "They look shittier"

The point is that they could do 1080p with way lower specs than the Shield. The best looking one seems to be Skyrim and it looks to be a port of the 2011 version so that's hardly a behemot to run when it comes to specs.

and that doesnt detract from the experience in fact it adds to it. it would not work if they tried to make it look realistic

still going to buy it the moment they announce pokemon or monster hunter or xenoblade x to it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

and that doesnt detract from the experience in fact it adds to it. it would not work if they tried to make it look realistic

Um no, it doesn't adds. Mainly because we're talking about characters that are my age: over 3 decades old in some cases. Of course they don't translate well to non-cartoonish looks but it's been 3 fucking decades they can and should work on new IPs instead of finding ever more difficult ways to exploit the Mario gravy train.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh 100% agreed, Nintendo do know how to do aesthetics.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Um no, it doesn't adds. Mainly because we're talking about characters that are my age: over 3 decades old in some cases. Of course they don't translate well to non-cartoonish looks but it's been 3 fucking decades they can and should work on new IPs instead of finding ever more difficult ways to exploit the Mario gravy train.

i still like mario, zelda, pokemon, and kirby games and it wont make sense for them to suddenly drop them and create a COD imitation or something