Nintendo Switch Specs: CPU and GPU Clock Speeds Reportedly Revealed

goodtofufriday
3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Um no, it doesn't adds. Mainly because we're talking about characters that are my age: over 3 decades old in some cases. Of course they don't translate well to non-cartoonish looks but it's been 3 fucking decades they can and should work on new IPs instead of finding ever more difficult ways to exploit the Mario gravy train.

Splatoon?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

i still like mario, zelda, pokemon, and kirby games and it wont make sense for them to suddenly drop them and create a COD imitation or something

To quote, well, you:

then they should be working on growing their fan base

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Splatoon?

That's a start. They need a lot more though but yes that's exactly what they should be doing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

To quote, well, you:

i was thinking of growing their fanbase inside their target audience but sure i wont mind if they develop totally not COD space warfare 2299 to try to target more mature audiences but it would be a terrible idea for them to suddenly drop their popular series

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

To quote, well, you:

which they did 

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/12/01/nintendos-mobile-strategy-might-be-incredible-and-pokemon-proves-that/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

still going to buy it the moment they announce pokemon or monster hunter or xenoblade x to it

There are many rumours that switch will get a new Pokémon under codename Star which will be similar to Sun and Moon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i was thinking of growing their fanbase inside their target audience but sure i wont mind if they develop totally not COD space warfare 2299 to try to target more mature audiences but it would be a terrible idea for them to suddenly drop their popular series

I didn't specifically said CoD you said that. I just think they should widen their spectrum and for that, specs that favor not only what they want to do with graphics helps. It's not required but it does helps to attrack 3rd party developers that might want something not necessarily CoD like but that could appreciate more horsepower to have other options open to them other than "Make low poly shit and work with that only"

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i was thinking of growing their fanbase inside their target audience but sure i wont mind if they develop totally not COD space warfare 2299 but it would be a terrible idea for them to suddenly drop their popular series

No one is suggesting they do and no one should want them to either.

They can keep Mario, Zelda etc etc but without third party support on top of those things the Switch will end up just like Wii U and then, just like GameCube and Wii U they'll drop the product too quickly.

Part of the third party issues stem from how fast their products life cycle is. Why would developers waste time learning an entirely new platform if said platform will be gone in 3 years time?

Consumers will lose confidence in their products and they'll end up... well I don't know because they'll never go bankrupt.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, AG1233 said:

There are many rumours that switch will get a new Pokémon under codename Star which will be similar to Sun and Moon.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

i would guess that it would follow the pokemon pattern of ruby, sapphire and then emerald which is like a combination of the two and diamond and pearl then platnium which is a combination. so star might be a combination of moon and sun?

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Well if you're gonna go by that, Nintendo has a lot more future as a software dev releasing extremely popular games for cellphones than selling hardware.

Or do you honestly think Pokemon go is doable or would be a decent experience on the Switch? Again you're not incorrect but you're talking very different things now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I didn't specifically said CoD you said that. I just think they should widen their spectrum and for that, specs that favor not only what they want to do with graphics helps. It's not required but it does helps to attrack 3rd party developers that might want something not necessarily CoD like but that could appreciate more horsepower to have other options open to them other than "Make low poly shit and work with that only"

ok i thought you want nintendo to make more mature games and COD imitation was just an example but you just want them to make new series? well they are doing that

I think the specs will be fine because look at the only games release for nintendo consoles...Mario, Mariocart, Supersmash and Zelda. Very non taxing games being rehashed over and over and over.

I was at first excited for a 720p@60 console but now I know it wont even reach that even docked unless its Mario**** . But then again if no games are sold other than the same games "remade", I dont think I will bother to pick one up. I only ever picked up a Wii or WiiU for the non-mario/zelda games but I am tired of having such a small selection. And with this news of the hardware, I doubt any other IPs will emerge due to the limitations of hardware. 

Im surprised nintendo has lasted this long with new initiative consoles that never truly compete with Playstation or Xbox. Especially with only a handful of IPs. 

Just now, spartaman64 said:

ok i thought you want nintendo to make more mature games and COD imitation was just an example but you just want them to make new series? well they are doing that

Not more mature necessarily (i.e. I agreed that splatoon was a decent new IP) Just fresh IPs and a more welcoming environment for 3rd party devs. I'm ok with the console targeting a younger audience and Nintendo has been proven to be innovative when it comes to gameplay througout this years but it's enough with fucking Mario games already.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Not more mature necessarily (i.e. I agreed that splatoon was a decent new IP) Just fresh IPs and a more welcoming environment for 3rd party devs. I'm ok with the console targeting a younger audience and Nintendo has been proven to be innovative when it comes to gameplay througout this years but it's enough with fucking Mario games already.

I'm willing to bet anything Switch will get at least 2 new Mario games. 1 will be the game shown in the trailer and the other will be a version of Mario Maker. I wouldn't be surprised at a NSMBS game coming in the future either.

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well if you're gonna go by that, Nintendo has a lot more future as a software dev releasing extremely popular games for cellphones than selling hardware.

Or do you honestly think Pokemon go is doable or would be a decent experience on the Switch? Again you're not incorrect but you're talking very different things now.

or you can take as that as proof that N knows their marketing game and they just use the mobile to boost their DS sales, which btw, in a world of quad hd smartphones with GHz in CPU clocks speed, still manage to sell this weak systems, with low res screens, weak ass SoCs like fudge covered hot candies. 

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/11/26/pokemon-sun-and-moon-crush-japans-sales-charts-boost-the-nintendo-3ds/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=gplus 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm willing to bet anything Switch will get at least 2 new Mario games. 1 will be the game shown in the trailer and the other will be a version of Mario Maker. I wouldn't be surprised at a NSMBS game coming in the future either.

Probably and if there where more games and franchises and they haven't been so thoroughly explored already, it would be fine. Longevity is not the issue, it's attrition: we're just overloaded with Mario games to the point it becomes a joke: If games like Mario Kart or Melee would just decide "We'll do this with a new IP and backstory" they would probably still sell a shitload of them since people genuinely like the gameplay on those games but it's hard to overcome the predictability of every new Nintendo console.

In fact to go back to the example, the Wii was such a success because so many new games and ips (both in house and 3rd party) where coming out for the console, without them the Wii would have had the same positive reaction by hardcore fans yet lookwarm reaction in total sales just like the preceeding and succeeding consoles behaved.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

or you can take as that as proof that N knows their marketing game and they just use the mobile to boost their DS sales, which btw, in a world of quad hd smartphones with GHz in CPU clocks speed, still manage to sell this weak systems, with low res screens, weak ass SoCs like fudge covered hot candies. 

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/11/26/pokemon-sun-and-moon-crush-japans-sales-charts-boost-the-nintendo-3ds/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=gplus 

The 3DS was a success long before. It's probably the last portable console that will be so, particularly outside of japan. I'd be more than glad to be proven wrong on this by the Switch, however I just don't see the correlation you claim between DS sales and pokemon go other than a temporary boost in pokemon interest however as I said, can't claim that when it came so late into the 3DS cycle.

-------

Current Rig

-------

28 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The 3DS was a success long before. It's probably the last portable console that will be so, particularly outside of japan. I'd be more than glad to be proven wrong on this by the Switch, however I just don't see the correlation you claim between DS sales and pokemon go other than a temporary boost in pokemon interest however as I said, can't claim that when it came so late into the 3DS cycle.

there is a relation between pokemon go and sun/moon hitting a new record for the pokemon franchise. A record that also drove a boost in sale for the 3DS.

The 3DS was a success long before, but can we remember how poorly it was doing on launch? Remember that only incentive N had for it was the "ambassador program" outside of mario 3d world?

Thing is with N, they, unlike Sony *cough*vita*cough*,  will do everything in their power to push sales of whatever console they release. the Wii U was a flop but look the amount of games they released for it even after 3 years of it's release and 3 years of people calling DOA. Look at how poorly the 3ds was doing was doing, the amount of games they pushed for it and where it stands now. N knows how to market their stuff and i don't see two small apples, WiiU and GC, change it for them.

I remember watching this... so basically it's a shield tablet with the CPU down-clocked to less than half ಠ_ಠ

Seriously, 192 cuda cores @ 924 MHz (overclocked) = 177408 pretend MHz

vs 256 @ 768 MHz = 196608 pretend Mhz (~10% better) on the GPU, and as for the CPU, shield tablet was 2.2 GHz, OCable to 2.5.  This is running at 1 GHz!? ಠ_ಠ

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-snip-

1gbdw6.jpg

Because the Pixel C doesnt count, it doesnt have Nvidia game database, features and whatnot :P

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I'm mainly extremely worried about that CPU figure.  Unless they've doubled IPC since the shield tablet (which I think we all know they haven't), this thing is going to be basically useless.  I know because I manually control the CPU frequency on my tablet all the time so I know how it performs at speeds like 1.3 GHz, 1.7 GHz, and the full 2.2.  Trust me, you do not want to try running anything at 1 GHz ಠ_ಠ

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

57 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I remember watching this... so basically it's a shield tablet with the CPU down-clocked to less than half ಠ_ಠ

Seriously, 192 cuda cores @ 924 MHz (overclocked) = 177408 pretend MHz

vs 256 @ 768 MHz = 196608 pretend Mhz (~10% better) on the GPU, and as for the CPU, shield tablet was 2.2 GHz, OCable to 2.5.  This is running at 1 GHz!? ಠ_ಠ

That's why I doubt this rumour is true, even if you factor battery life, it doesn't make any sense. Why would they just nerf it for no particular reason? It's not like the shield tablet and the pixel C ran out of battery within seconds.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

13 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

That's why I doubt this rumour is true, even if you factor battery life, it doesn't make any sense. Why would they just nerf it for no particular reason? It's not like the shield tablet and the pixel C ran out of battery within seconds.

Even if you kept it at Shield or Pixel speeds with that large of a battery you should still have plenty of hours of use. I just dont know why they want that many hours though. Its cool for travel but you can get a cheap x86 or android tablet (not saying mobile ganes are worth it) that will provide a similar experience with more games. 

I rather it have a decent chip with 2-3 hours of battery life. The shield has 5 with gaming but I couldnt stand gaming for that long on a tablet size controller. 

27 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Not to mention the shield tablet was already primarily CPU bound in most games (as far as I can tell) so this being even more powerful on the GPU side (albeit only slightly so but still) makes it insane that they would then cut CPU performance down to less than half what it was.  And, while I don't have numbers to back this up, I kinda assume the GPU is going to consume a lot more power than the CPU so if they were trying to save power, they targeted the wrong area imo.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

The 3DS was a success long before

Indeed, the rest of your arguments sound like correlation irrelevant to hardware sales, which is what we're taking about given how this is a topic about new hardware.

-------

Current Rig

-------