Looks like the RX 480 keeps getting better and better

TechGod
1 minute ago, MageTank said:

I don't see the problem with that question though. We are comparing two cards in the present, with an API that is not widely adopted yet. The amount of DX12 games that are currently available to consumers, are 17. Now compare that to the vast amount of games that support DX11. I understand that more games will support DX12 in the future, but by then, these cards will likely not be sold by then. It's a very relevant question if you ask me.

Personally I think DX12 games are much closer than that, middle of next year I think will be the point all major development houses will be primarily focusing on DX12 and DX11 secondary. Or more correctly they are focusing on DX12 now but we the consumers won't see anything until the middle of next year.

At that point in time the 1070/1080/1080Ti (should be out by then?) etc will still be the current cards so DX12 performance is very important, but I don't actually think we can judge Nvidia DX12 performance at all on the current games. Nvidia will be working very diligently in the background with their driver team and game engine developers to fully optimize their tool-sets for pascal + DX12.

AMD does have the hardware architecture advantage and have pioneered the industry shift in APIs, Mantle, but how this will actually turn out in 6 months nobody can really know. Likely not even Nvidia and AMD themselves know where things are going to lay in 6 months time, Nvidia might pull out some magic which with their size and budget are more than capable of doing but AMD might do the same.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Did Microsoft go through with that? I didn't pay too much attention, but I heard GoW4 was one of the titles to support cross-store play. Either way, I am curious to see where the number 90 comes from with him. 

Yup. Every Xbox exclusive is coming to PC from now on.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Personally I think DX12 games are much closer than that, middle of next year I think will be the point all major development houses will be primarily focusing on DX12 and DX11 secondary. Or more correctly they are focusing on DX12 now but we the consumers won't see anything until the middle of next year.

At that point in time the 1070/1080/1080Ti (should be out by then?) etc will still be the current cards so DX12 performance is very important, but I don't actually think we can judge Nvidia DX12 performance at all on the current games. Nvidia will be working very diligently in the background with their driver team and game engine developers to fully optimize their tool-sets for pascal + DX12.

AMD does have the hardware architecture advantage and have pioneered the industry shift in APIs, Mantle, but how this will actually turn out in 6 months nobody can really know. Likely not even Nvidia and AMD themselves know where things are going to lay in 6 months time, Nvidia might pull out some magic which with their size and budget are more than capable of doing but AMD might do the same.

Like everyone else, I am hoping for a wide adoption of DX12/Vulkan, simply because of the reduction in overhead. Am personally leaning more towards Vulkan, simply because it would make cross-platform porting much easier, and should result in less...stiff (for lack of a better word) ports.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I've got 20 minutes to get ready for work, so I'm not going to sit here and make a list @ivan134 @MageTank I'd much rather prefer to come back december 31st 2017 with "I told you so" :P

I follow a lot of games and was working myself down the list a month ago looking for developer comments on DX12/ Vulkan, by the time I got to about 40 somewhat affirmative comments I guesstimated the rest.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 minute ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

I've got 20 minutes to get ready for work, so I'm not going to sit here and make a list @ivan134 @MageTank I'd much rather prefer to come back december 31st 2017 with "I told you so" :P

I follow a lot of games and was working myself down the list a month ago looking for developer comments on DX12/ Vulkan, by the time I got to about 40 somewhat affirmative comments I guesstimated the rest.

I'll commit that to memory, and hold you to it. 

12 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

At least point us in the right direction. I follow a lot of gaming news too. Gaming is my main hobby and not really PC hardware.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

At least point us in the right direction. I follow a lot of gaming news too. Gaming is my main hobby and not really PC hardware.

You will be pointed in said direction come December 31st, 2017. Mark your calendar. 

This thread is gonna evolve to those fanboy vs fanboy thread where each side is just trying so hard to defend their own purchase.

And mod is gonna close it in the end.

Called it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

16 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

This thread is gonna evolve to those fanboy vs fanboy thread where each side is just trying so hard to defend their own purchase.

And mod is gonna close it in the end.

Called it. 

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 hours ago, TechGod said:

Snip

Nothing against RX480 or 1060, but you can't say that one is better than the other simply by comparing 2 cards. if you compared 2 gtx 1060 6GB G1 Gaming cards, one would be better than the other, by several % in many cases.

Just now, Zyndo said:

Nothing against RX480 or 1060, but you can't say that one is better than the other simply by comparing 2 cards. if you compared 2 gtx 1060 6GB G1 Gaming cards, one would be better than the other, by several % in many cases.

How on earth can we compare anything then with that logic? Margin of error exists for a reason.

30 minutes ago, TechGod said:

How on earth can we compare anything then with that logic? Margin of error exists for a reason.

Overclocking adds more then a small margin of error....

PMSL

10 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And how many games use DirectX 12?

Almost all major games coming out 2017 will, lol.

31 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Overclocking adds more then a small margin of error....

I think the two points being made were relating to two of the same cards out of the box in standard configuration not being the same but also within margin of error. Margin of error pretty much flies out the door with OC since the minute flaws in manufacturing get amplified to significant and measurable differences, exceeding the margin of error.

10 hours ago, Cyndre1033 said:

That is one if that seems to always go with AMD and it is why I am considering the 480 over the 1060 for my upcoming build: longevity. Still wondering which 480 to get though xD

XFX has the best chips this generation for some reason. a person from XFX alledged that they pay extra to have better chips on r/amd but I wouldnt say that's on that basis alone. I have an XFX 480 "nano" (much smaller pcb; almost two inch shorter and 1 inch less wide) and a MSI 480 Gaming X. While the Gaming X absolutely crushes in terms of cooling solution, the XFX is a significantly better asic.

1 hour ago, TechGod said:

You compare several samples and get an average/mean. when you do it that way you get a more consistent result. That is the scientific method. It only counts as evidence if its repeatable. Picking any 2 doses of information, essentially, at random does not make for a good or accurate comparative argument.

This is why you can compare the Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB vs the AMD RX480... there are sooo many reviews on so many cards done by soo many people and soo many benchmarks... you have a very large sample size to analyze and draw conclusions from.  If you took the best 1060 and compared it to the worst 480 i bet it would win in all DX 12 situations. conversely if you took the best 480 vs the worst 1060 i bet it would win in all DX 11 situations.

I've nothing against either card. I'm just saying you can't take 1 isolated example from individual cards and draw a conclusion for it as a whole. "Margin of error exists for a reason"? that term is so overused and watered down that I think people have forgotten what it actually means....

@TechGod Can you change the name of this thread? It's so cringe worthy right now -_-.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

33 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Almost all major games coming out 2017 will, lol.

And how can you be sure of that?

PMSL

9 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

And I'm just sitting here with my GTX 970, being fine with it(for now), and just kicking back to watch the show to see who I buy from next...AMD or NVIDIA.

It'll be interesting, to be sure ;)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

3 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

One of my friends have 480 and he said it is smoking hot.. 

Okay...  So what is that in Celsius exactly?

Just now, MoonSpot said:

Okay...  So what is that in Celsius exactly?

80 or so with case open. With case closed its hotter then his house heater

Just bought myself a 1060 over a 480 few weeks ago...and I don't regret it.Hell in Australia the 480s cost so much more than the 1060s, even if the 480 now perform on par or slightly better its still not worth buying. 

I really wanted to give AMD a go but the regional pricing killed it.

59 minutes ago, mach said:

Just bought myself a 1060 over a 480 few weeks ago...and I don't regret it.Hell in Australia the 480s cost so much more than the 1060s, even if the 480 now perform on par or slightly better its still not worth buying. 

I really wanted to give AMD a go but the regional pricing killed it.

If you'd asked for prices a month ago, you could have gotten a 480 Nitro for far less than a GTX 1060 6GB, and for the same as the cheapest 470-which is also a Sapphire Nitro

PMSL