Looks like the RX 480 keeps getting better and better

TechGod

It's good to see the performance on AMD's side improving. I can't wait to see Vega. Hoping it may be only a generation or two more before I can drop my Nvidia hardware in favor of higher end stuff from AMD.

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

Ummm, good job proving his point. Look at the 290 and 290x in your graph.

I knew some of you would go for the low hanging fruit: The 290 and 290x where sold as TOP TIER cards at the time of release. The entire point I've been making is that high end cards are expected to last those 3 years and stay relevant in performance. In this regard I would agree with you: a 490 is more likely to stay relevant than a 1070 (assuming both are priced at 400 bucks) but 3 year old midrange cards just don't cut it for this much time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

18 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I knew some of you would go for the low hanging fruit: The 290 and 290x where sold as TOP TIER cards at the time of release. The entire point I've been making is that high end cards are expected to last those 3 years and stay relevant in performance. In this regard I would agree with you: a 490 is more likely to stay relevant than a 1070 (assuming both are priced at 400 bucks) but 3 year old midrange cards just don't cut it for this much time.

Lol @ low hangoing fruit. Your mental gymnastics are hilarious.

I played the game during the free week and I was getting about 75% better performance on mostly high settings instead of ultra. If we apply that to the r7 370 in your chart, which is a rebranded 7850 that sold for $250 4 years ago, that puts it at about 55 fps. Maybe the next thing you're going to tell me is that it's unplayable at those framerates.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Makes me wonder what kind of performance gains NVidia would get if they implemented hardware schedulers and ACE's. Obviously their cards would run a bit warmer but I wonder if that would help their current cards receive a big boost in Vulkan / DX12 but also help keep older cards relevant longer. (Say Volta cards have a hardware scheduler & ACE's thus helping their cards age better.)

I could only imagine those hardware changes on Volta on top of their performance from the get go. 

For instance, current Pascal cards could see 10-15% on top of what we already have now if they had ACE's.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

22 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Lol @ low hangoing fruit. Your mental gymnastics are hilarious.

I played the game during the free week and I was getting about 75% better performance on mostly high settings instead of ultra. If we apply that to the r7 370 in your chart, which is a rebranded 7850 that sold for $250 4 years ago, that puts it at about 55 fps. Maybe the next thing you're going to tell me is that it's unplayable at those framerates.

Ok let me ask you something else: If for whatever reason the trends where to change and you'd find yourself with a card and architecture that favors a weaker side and a company that completely shifts gears into a different architecture and approach, thus abandoning driver support for your current card, would you feel the same?

Hindsight is always 20/20 and it's very easy to claim now "Oh we all knew Kepler was going to bomb, nobody should have bought those cards!" yet you're riding your argument on Microsoft and their DX12 push, one of the mos notoriously unreliable companies when it comes to committing themselves to support PC gaming.

Right now it all points to the 480 having more legs for the future sure, right now that we're in the apex of DX12. But since when is future performance a major purchasing decision? Future proofing is for suckers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

@nicklmg Would it be possible for Linus and Luke to re-evaluate and compare the RX 480 and GTX 1060?

Yeah they really should actually :)

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Pretty well it seems :P 

Yeah we went over all this :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

41 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Ok let me ask you something else: If for whatever reason the trends where to change and you'd find yourself with a card and architecture that favors a weaker side and a company that completely shifts gears into a different architecture and approach, thus abandoning driver support for your current card, would you feel the same?

Hindsight is always 20/20 and it's very easy to claim now "Oh we all knew Kepler was going to bomb, nobody should have bought those cards!" yet you're riding your argument on Microsoft and their DX12 push, one of the mos notoriously unreliable companies when it comes to committing themselves to support PC gaming.

Right now it all points to the 480 having more legs for the future sure, right now that we're in the apex of DX12. But since when is future performance a major purchasing decision? Future proofing is for suckers.

This is some ridiculous reaching and purposeful misrepresentation of the truth.

Kepler started performing badly basically as soon as Maxwell dropped. I'm not asking companies to support their architectures forever. Maxwell's foot was barely in the door before Kepler owners started getting shit on. We're talking about one generation. Not to mention Nvidia is at least 3 times bigger than AMD. They can afford to support both architectures. They're not even drastically different. 

Stop making ridiculous excuses for Nvidia. No one wants to spend $700 on a GPU only to have perform like absolute garbage 3 years later, especially compared to what the competitor is offering. Contrary to the popular belief on this forum, your average person does buy hardware to keep for a long time, even those that buy $700 GPUs. People who upgrade every year are a minority.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

The truth is kepler fucking sucks: I thought I gave you that much but I guess I needed to make that even more clear.

My assertion is that midrange cards are usually not future proof and not even AMD can guarantee they'll have an ace up their sleeves with things like Compute advantage every single time to trust that.

Are this assertions still too unreasonable to you?

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Kepler started performing badly basically as soon as Maxwell dropped. I'm not asking companies to support their architectures forever. Maxwell's foot was barely in the door before Kepler owners started getting shit on. We're taking about one generation. Not to mention Nvidia is at least 3 times bigger than AMD. They can afford to support both architectures. They're not even drastically different. 

Stop making ridiculous excuses for Nvidia. No one wants to spend $700 on a GPU only to have perform like absolute garbage 3 years later, especially compared to what the competitor is offering. Contrary to the popular belief on this forum, your average person does buy hardware to keep for a long time, even those that buy $700 GPUs. People who upgrade every year are a minority.

Is the performance of Kepler any worse on the latest drivers then the old ones before Maxwell came out? No. No it isn't.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

[removed]

Honestly, I believe that NVIDIA should actively support their video cards going at least three releases back, providing performance information for all three generations. Or actively support the most recent architecture, but also the most popular previous architectures.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Removing redundant words.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

My assertion is that midrange cards are usually not future proof

Nothing is future-proof. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And how many games use DirectX 12?

we said the same about dx11 back then "we just got 10 why bother w/ 11" 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Nothing is future-proof. 

Nothing is but the raw performance of a high end card is naturally bound to keep it relevant for longer than a midrange card, that's all I was trying to say really.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Is the performance of Kepler any worse on the latest drivers then the old ones before Maxwell came out? No. No it isn't.

That's not the issue. The issue I see, is on older titles, Kepler absolutely destroys some Maxwell and Pascal cards, but on newer titles, lower end Maxwell and Pascal cards destroy even the flagship Kepler cards. Look at the video I posted a few pages back. The GTX 780 Ti is losing to a GTX 960 in GTA 5 and BF1, and is barely beating a GTX 1050 Ti. However, in Metro Last Light, the 780 Ti absolutely destroys both, even surpassing a GTX 1060 with ease. Now, one can argue new technologies like advanced color compression (such as DCC), less taxing forms of AA exclusive to new cards, and the improved tessellation performance of newer architectures aided in this, but for it to be as dramatic of a change as it is, something just doesn't feel right about it.

They are not nerfing older cards in older titles, but I feel they are not giving older cards the same level of driver optimizations as they do with newer cards in newer titles, to further compel people to upgrade.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, no doesn't look like it: 

Though they're so close I'd call that one a wash.

the benches are 5 months old , this is about how the 480 has improved and is pulling u and slowly past the 1060 

(probably has been said already , but im just reading through this so excuse the late reply) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

They are not nerfing older cards in older titles, but I feel they are not giving older cards the same level of driver optimizations as they do with newer cards in newer titles, to further compel people to upgrade.

NVIDIA should be more consumer friendly, and offer perhaps a certain amount of time where cards will get active optimizations, not just ones that they "tripped" over optimizing for the latest release products. Perhaps doing what I suggested a few posts above, where they actively support at least three generations, including the latest generation. After that, they'll keep releasing drivers for the older products, but they won't optimize directly for them.

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Honestly, I believe that NVIDIA should actively support their video cards going at least three releases back, providing performance information for all three generations. Or actively support the most recent architecture, but also the most popular previous architectures.

This ^^^^ .

I bought my GPU in 2014 (it was originally released in 2013 :() and I feel betrayed for being punished for not using a 2016 GPU. Seriously? I really don't know what to say. Punishing people for not buying the latest and greatest thing is completely inappropriate and resembles behavior of communism (Something I'd know from living in a country which is semi controlled by China).

I don't think Nvidia would get away with this bullshit if AMD were twice the size they are now.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I understand why you think I think that giving that so many people on the interwebs say that. I've never said that Nvidia decreases performance. What I mean is Nvidia neglects optimizations for Kepler. This game is an example. The 780 ti is definitely capable of more in this game. It's only 3 years old. I'm not asking for Nvidia to keep optimizing for Fermi or something.

22 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Is an entire thread necessary for one benchmark?

For the AMD circlejerk to continue, apparently yes.

The whole thread is crazy. 

For people asking for further optimizations from Kepler etc. What proof do you have that there is more headroom for this optimization that is worth investing time into? 

8 minutes ago, LoE Ferret said:

For the AMD circlejerk to continue, apparently yes.

The whole thread is crazy. 

For people asking for further optimizations from Kepler etc. What proof do you have that there is more headroom for this optimization that is worth investing time into? 

Or that NVidia is neglecting old architectures? Maybe, just maybe they're already at their peak. Not much more to be done with them. AMD otoh is basically optimizing the same architecture under different nomenclatures; also known as rebrands. Once (if ever?) AMD releases new architectures consistently might we see the same "lack" of optimizations being done.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

NVIDIA should be more consumer friendly, and offer perhaps a certain amount of time where cards will get active optimizations, not just ones that they "tripped" over optimizing for the latest release products. Perhaps doing what I suggested a few posts above, where they actively support at least three generations, including the latest generation. After that, they'll keep releasing drivers for the older products, but they won't optimize directly for them.

That would actually be counter intuitive for Nvidia since Nvidia only expects you to keep a graphics card for 3 years which usually coincides with 3 generations and markets new graphics for people who are using a 2 year old GPU.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

That would actually be counter intuitive for Nvidia since Nvidia only expects you to keep a graphics card for 3 years which usually coincides with 3 generations and markets new graphics for people who are using a 2 year old GPU.

Then they change their marketing.

All of this was going on while I was asleep? Lol. :P 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«