Looks like the RX 480 keeps getting better and better

TechGod
1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

That's not the relive drivers though right?

Not sure, but if there's a more recent video showing the 480 ahead, then please go ahead and post that too.  After all, that would answer the question I asked :P The 480 was behind (as I just showed), now, is it still behind or has it now jumped into the lead with new drivers?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Or they just ran the benchmarks using nvidias broken drivers. Not sure which but some of the latest ones have dropped performance across all games. 

pretty impressive though ?

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, no doesn't look like it: 

Though they're so close I'd call that one a wash.

That's old. 

GTX-1060-UPDATE-68.jpg

Average it's within margin of error, but the 480 has better minimums.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

That's old. 

Average it's within margin of error, but the 480 has better minimums.

Alright cool, that's what I was wondering.  (see above)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not sure, but if there's a more recent video showing the 480 ahead, then please go ahead and post that too.  After all, that would answer the question I asked :P The 480 was behind (as I just showed), now, is it still behind or has it now jumped into the lead with new drivers?

Wouldn't say ahead, but generally brings them dead even pretty much.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Wouldn't say ahead, but generally brings them dead even pretty much.

Well it is cheaper (or at least is supposed to be given the MSRP) and is better poised to do well in the future due to things like Vulkan (imo) so that would be interesting if they manage to at least match the 1060 all around in other tests too.  That would make it hard to recommend a 1060 for any reason unless nvidia drops the price.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well it is cheaper (or at least is supposed to be given the MSRP) and is better poised to do well in the future due to things like Vulkan (imo) so that would be interesting if they manage to at least match the 1060 all around in other tests too.  That would make it hard to recommend a 1060 for any reason unless nvidia drops the price.

Yeah, pretty much why most people who already knew about relive were hype. 

13 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

480 was beating 1060 in dx11 in the division.

How much did the 480 win by in DX11 at 1080p and 1440p?

If it was already winning, and is now pretty much neck-in-neck then Nvidia might actually have gained (assuming AMD's card runs DX12 faster than DX11) more from DX12 than AMD did, which would go against the typical "AMD is better at DX12 than Nvidia".

10 minutes ago, MageTank said:

This title is misleading, and needs to be changed or updated to reflect that it's 16% in 4k.

I think that "RX480 is 16% faster than the 1060 at 4K!" would be misleading too. While the statement itself is true, the conclusion people will jump to is false.

I wish people would stop making crappy titles intended to deceive people, and just tried to be honest and unbiased. AMD vs Nvidia threads and articles are really insufferable because it's just a competition of who can twist the numbers to look the most favorable towards whichever brand you like.

I think this clip with the fucking nerd summarizes AMD vs Nvidia vs Intel threads really well (starts at 07:00):

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

It wasn't, it was behind.  That's changed recently though (See videos and charts on this page)

After seeing the demise of Kepler, I can't really recommend low-mid Nvidia to anyone anymore. We just saw tests from GamersNexus, showing the 780 Ti barely beating a GTX 1050 Ti, and losing to a GTX 1060. This was in modern games (GTA 5, BF1, etc). I understand Kepler had limitations with tessellation, but I can't help but feel forced obsoletion is at play. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

8 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

more and more overtime

Another question, how do the first cards designed around an API fare in games that use it when most if not all new games use it?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Another question, how do the first cards designed around an API fare in games that use it when most if not all new games use it?

the same like apple's macbook, possibilities are there, but the decission of implenting a new standard is left to the product(pheriperals and games) developers afterwards. all a company can do is lift up the new standard, but after to the market.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

6 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Yeah, pretty much why most people who already knew about relive were hype. 

Has anyone tested before and after performance of older cards (say a R9 Fury) with the ReLive drivers?  I tried them and they broke afterburner's ability to control fans and power limit so I rolled back.  If they actually improve performance I guess I'll give them another try but if they don't, I have no reason to upgrade again.

Has anyone tested before and after performance of older cards (say a R9 Fury) with the ReLive drivers?  I tried them and they broke afterburner's ability to control fans and power limit so I rolled back.  If they actually improve performance I guess I'll give them another try but if they don't, I have no reason to upgrade again.

Eh, found this:

http://www.overclock-and-game.com/news/pc-gaming/52-crimson-relive-16-12-1-several-games-benchmarked-4k?showall=1

Scroll down, and he has a few comparisons with the Fury at 4k. Although, personally would take small bit of salt with it, as one of them is Hitman.

30 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Also, that 16% number is a massive 3FPS in 4k (23fps on the 1060 vs 26fps on the 480), basically unplayable by PC gaming standards. 

I play undemanding games at about that (super low, 720p)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

4 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Eh, found this:

http://www.overclock-and-game.com/news/pc-gaming/52-crimson-relive-16-12-1-several-games-benchmarked-4k?showall=1

Scroll down, and he has a few comparisons with the Fury at 4k. Although, personally would take small bit of salt with it, as one of them is Hitman.

Capture.PNG

Those are some hugely significant numbers...

Capture.PNG

Especially the minimum framerates. That's amazing if true. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Capture.PNG

That being said:

This guy noticed hits with Relive. I think i saw something somewhere about a hotfix, but can't remember that well.

20 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

All this really tells me is game developers are starting to actually give a damn about optimizing for AMD.

THE SKY IS FALLING!

*/me runs for cover*

Gotta be a fluke.  No way is that happening.

1 minute ago, MoonSpot said:

THE SKY IS FALLING!

*/me runs for cover*

Gotta be a fluke.  No way is that happening.

Course. They don't haz the monz. /s

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If it was already winning, and is now pretty much neck-in-neck then Nvidia might actually have gained (assuming AMD's card runs DX12 faster than DX11) more from DX12 than AMD did, which would go against the typical "AMD is better at DX12 than Nvidia".

I think that "RX480 is 16% faster than the 1060 at 4K!" would be misleading too. While the statement itself is true, the conclusion people will jump to is false.

I wish people would stop making crappy titles intended to deceive people, and just tried to be honest and unbiased. AMD vs Nvidia threads and articles are really insufferable because it's just a competition of who can twist the numbers to look the most favorable towards whichever brand you like.

I think this clip with the fucking nerd summarizes AMD vs Nvidia vs Intel threads really well (starts at 07:00):

It wasn't a huge lead, the 480 just had better minimums which I still consider a win since it means your experience is more consistent.

I did play the game though during this past free weekend on mostly high settings instead of ultra and I was getting framerates in the 100. Doing the same with the 1060 should give a much more enjoyable experience and the game still looks really good. SnowDrop engine is amazing.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

19 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Which I find highly unlikely they're doing that now due to them being out for three years.

Except microsoft wasn't trying to push windows 10 compatibility onto xbox for 3 years, and given how dx12 had to be optimized for xbox as well due to this it becomes a plausible explanation, frankly I want nothing to do with dx12 because of windows 10 so that doesn't help amd sell things to me not that I'm in the market to buy anything from green or red in general.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

36 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That maybe true for stock clocks however what if you were overclock the nuts out the GTX 1060 ( 2GHz+). 

The 1060 already boosts itself up to 1900 so a 2.1Ghz overclock isn't really a big gain (just 4-5%), on the other hand a 480 can go from 1266 to 1400 which should be about 10% overclock. Since 480s respond to voltage changes, I would say OC vs OC the 480 wins.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR