gtx 1050 ti or ps4?

DeltaStrikke

hey guys!

I'd like to have your opinion. I currently have a PC with an i7-860, 8gb ram and a gtx 260 but I can't play a lot of the recent games. I'm considering 2 options : upgrading my gtx 260 for a 1050ti or buying a ps4. There are some pretty great deals on the ps4 at the moment and the exclusive games (the last of us, uncharted, horizon...) seem very cool. on the downside, i would probably have to pay for the playstation plus... Anyway what do you think?

Thanks!

If you care about multiplayer, then yes, you'll need a PS+ account. However there are other perks associated with PS+ beyond just multiplayer, like free games every month and discounts.

While the i7-860 has a bit of life left, you're better off building a new computer at this point. If you want something now, I'd say get the PS4.

Do you have friends to play with on PS4?

Otherwise -> you could get a 1060 or more for the same $$

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

i sold my ps4 because i got sick of paying for the PS plus nonsense. the amount of money wasted just to play online is better spent keeping a pc upgraded

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Upgrade your system and stay with PC. Sony has gone over the cliff with the whole PlayStation Plus thing and you will have a much wider verity and typically cheaper games (if you shop around right) on PC. Not to mention the PS4 will become obsolete sooner or later because of the PS4 Pro release. Also don't forget about the use of mods, you wont get the pleasure of those on a console.

If you have good friends on psn that you want to play with then I would go for the ps4. If not then I would go for the 1050 ti. 

1050ti

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

exclusives arent really an argument either way, it's more so the exclusives you *want* to play, and which platform you enjoy playing on most. and offcourse also which platform your friends are on :P (or for some -- which platform your friends arent on, if you hate them asking you to play with them ;))

i'd personally get the 1050Ti because it's a good "kickstart" for a progressive upgrade to modernise your pc over time.

so maybe sometime next year you can get a new processor and mobo (and most likely also ram) in there, maybe the year after a new GPU and so on. in essence for the cost of a new console every generation (certainly seeing they're starting with the half generational jumps like PS4 pro...) you could be building yourself a pretty nice rig.

RX 470 then an i5 later on

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

in the long run the 1050 will give you much more than ps4 and is cheaper because with ps4 you need console + psn + game cost(usually 60 dollar) with pc steam sale its much cheaper also better upgradeability more setting .  i personally have a ps3 and a ps vita i got for around 100 dollar remote play is worth getting vita. different strokes different folks.  

If you have friends that play PS then I'd definitely get one of those. Gaming is way more fun with friends.

36 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i sold my ps4 because i got sick of paying for the PS plus nonsense. the amount of money wasted just to play online is better spent keeping a pc upgraded

That $4/month is a real killer isn't it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

where i am its $30 every three months.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

That depends. The Last Of Us and the Uncharted series are incredible games, so is The Last Guardian, and the upcoming Final Fantasy VII remake is going to be a PS4 exclusive too.

You'll get access to a lot of cheap games on Steam Sales, as well as mods. Games like Skyrim have hundreds of thousands of hours worth of high-quality content in player-created mods, and people have even made mods that are entirely new games, such as Enderal, and I haven't even mentioned graphical overhauls. A modded Skyrim is - and might continue to be for years - the best-looking game around.

You're going to get better graphical quality and performance with a 1050 Ti PC than you will with a PS4, and maybe even a PS4 Pro. Furthermore, you can crank this up to 11 with Mods. The Witcher 3 was downgraded on PC to match Console visuals, but with mods like Witcher 3 HD Reworked and Super Turbo Lighting Mod, it restores the vastly superior look of the game's E3 trailers.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

where i am its $30 every three months.

If you buy it for a year it's less. $7.45/month. Which, honestly, still isn't bad given the minimum wage in NZ is $15.25 an hour. Meaning even slightly better jobs should pay around $20/hr.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

If you buy it for a year it's less. $7.45/month. Which, honestly, still isn't bad given the minimum wage in NZ is $15.25 an hour. Meaning even slightly better jobs should pay around $20/hr.

I did not say it was unaffordable, i said that is money better spent elsewhere. PS+ is a waste of money.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

If you have friends that play PS then I'd definitely get one of those. Gaming is way more fun with friends.

Well for some people,especially broke students, $4/month is a lot. $4/month is about 15 less blocks of ramen a month. So yes it can be a real killer. 

the ps4 is worth it if you're interested in..

- the exclusives. you can argue that some games will be available on PC eventually, but when? and how long you'll wait 

- playerbase

- friends who play on it

- kinda budget media player 

- prefer controller rather than kb+m 

i recommend getting the ps4 slim if you can. the ps4 pro... unsure about that. if you got a 4k tv then maybe

1 hour ago, patric_o said:

Well for some people,especially broke students, $4/month is a lot. $4/month is about 15 less blocks of ramen a month. So yes it can be a real killer. 

I've never met a student that poor. Moreover, if you're a student you should be focusing on studies, not gaming.

If you have a hard time finding 0.12 a day (a refund on a bottle in most places) then maybe you shouldn't be spending money on games at all.

Also consider the fact that a PS4 is significantly cheaper than a PC. Making it an even better choice.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Considering your specs, get the 1050ti. Great card for the money, I run one in my build. :) 

3 hours ago, DeltaStrikke said:

hey guys!

I'd like to have your opinion. I currently have a PC with an i7-860, 8gb ram and a gtx 260 but I can't play a lot of the recent games. I'm considering 2 options : upgrading my gtx 260 for a 1050ti or buying a ps4. There are some pretty great deals on the ps4 at the moment and the exclusive games (the last of us, uncharted, horizon...) seem very cool. on the downside, i would probably have to pay for the playstation plus... Anyway what do you think?

Thanks!

It comes down to if you want to play on a console or if you want to play on a computer. Personally I like to do both. I love computer gaming because I can get the best visuals and mod the crap out of games. What I don't like is that all my friends who play on pc are sorta antisocial and don't want to play games together as much. I like playing on console because my friends who play on it love to play together and it seems to be more laid back. Just choose what type of experience you want and choose that experience.

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I've never met a student that poor. Moreover, if you're a student you should be focusing on studies, not gaming.

If you have a hard time finding 0.12 a day (a refund on a bottle in most places) then maybe you shouldn't be spending money on games at all.

Also consider the fact that a PS4 is significantly cheaper than a PC. Making it an even better choice.

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

But also consider a new PlayStation is roughly $300

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

But also consider a new PlayStation is about $300 and the Pro model is more. Plus about $50 a year for the online services and in a few years you would be spending the same amount as a budget PC.