gtx 1050 ti or ps4?

DeltaStrikke
3 hours ago, DeltaStrikke said:

hey guys!

I'd like to have your opinion. I currently have a PC with an i7-860, 8gb ram and a gtx 260 but I can't play a lot of the recent games. I'm considering 2 options : upgrading my gtx 260 for a 1050ti or buying a ps4. There are some pretty great deals on the ps4 at the moment and the exclusive games (the last of us, uncharted, horizon...) seem very cool. on the downside, i would probably have to pay for the playstation plus... Anyway what do you think?

Thanks!

I'd get a $160 RX 470, it's 25% faster than a 1050 Ti and more than twice as powerful as a PS4. Your i7 computer will still hold its own especially if you overclock that i7 a bit.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I would highly recommend just upgrading. Yeah PS4 has great games out and upcoming (Horizon Zero Dawn....) but honestly its not worth the monthly subscription. So IMO just go for the 1050ti or 1060. Overall its a better experience.

if you were part of a superior race, would you get a gene therapy to decrease your status to an inferior race... thats the real question, to remain or to leave the master race.

3 hours ago, Technicolors said:

the ps4 is worth it if you're interested in..

- the exclusives. you can argue that some games will be available on PC eventually, but when? and how long you'll wait 

- playerbase

- friends who play on it

- kinda budget media player 

- prefer controller rather than kb+m 

i recommend getting the ps4 slim if you can. the ps4 pro... unsure about that. if you got a 4k tv then maybe

Who would take controller over kb/m for anything but Rocket League and Assassin's Creed?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

13 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

Who would take controller over kb/m for anything but Rocket League and Assassin's Creed?

you missed a lot more. but regardless, some like a controller more for fps and fast-paced games 

4 hours ago, Technicolors said:

- kinda budget media player 

i just built a media pc for around €200 in parts, i'm not sure how €300 for a peasant station is somehow budget :D

(also, there's plenty of purpose made devices that do the media thing just fine for a whole lot less)

3 hours ago, patric_o said:

But also consider a new PlayStation is roughly $300

But also consider a new PlayStation is about $300 and the Pro model is more. Plus about $50 a year for the online services and in a few years you would be spending the same amount as a budget PC.

Haha you don't need to quote me three times ;)

And a new PC is generally double that. So, what's your point?

Right. As you said, few years. That's a long time. Most degrees finish in about that.

You can't escape the fact that 0.12 a day shouldn't be a lot of money to anyone doing even remotely well.

If you're not, you shouldn't be spending money on game at all.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I was fully ready to say PS4, but considering your current GPU, I'm going to say go for the 1050 ti.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

10 hours ago, Technicolors said:

you missed a lot more. but regardless, some like a controller more for fps and fast-paced games 

Can you name some? I'm not arguing, although kb/m is proven better for shooters, I'm curious as to what else is better on a controller. Racing, I suppose.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

14 hours ago, dizmo said:

Moreover, if you're a student you should be focusing on studies, not gaming.

Don't game if you have something important to do. That policy should cover basically every scenario. I don't know what your college experience is, but mine is that there are times where you have something educationally relevant to do and plenty of other times when you don't.

17 hours ago, patric_o said:

But also consider a new PlayStation is roughly $300

You can easily get a new PS4 for 250$ with uncharted 4 due to all the sales.

And for 300$ with PS+ for a year/a new controller.That's not a bad deal IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Slim-500GB-Console-Uncharted-Bundle/dp/B01LRLJV28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481824632&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4&th=1

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2016 at 3:31 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

If you care about multiplayer, then yes, you'll need a PS+ account. However there are other perks associated with PS+ beyond just multiplayer, like free games every month and discounts.

While the i7-860 has a bit of life left, you're better off building a new computer at this point. If you want something now, I'd say get the PS4.

PC is great for multiplayer, it has a multitude of different networking systems for example Steam and there are already thousands of free games and exclusives as well as discounts included just on the steam network alone. 

Also when it comes to time based my pc took 24-48 hours to be made so not much of a time difference. All a matter of preference though.

On 12/14/2016 at 2:28 PM, DeltaStrikke said:

hey guys!

I'd like to have your opinion. I currently have a PC with an i7-860, 8gb ram and a gtx 260 but I can't play a lot of the recent games. I'm considering 2 options : upgrading my gtx 260 for a 1050ti or buying a ps4. There are some pretty great deals on the ps4 at the moment and the exclusive games (the last of us, uncharted, horizon...) seem very cool. on the downside, i would probably have to pay for the playstation plus... Anyway what do you think?

Thanks!

With your specs, I'd recommend the GPU.  Though a 470 would probably be better than a 1050 ti.

On 12/14/2016 at 5:46 PM, dizmo said:

I've never met a student that poor. Moreover, if you're a student you should be focusing on studies, not gaming.

If you have a hard time finding 0.12 a day (a refund on a bottle in most places) then maybe you shouldn't be spending money on games at all.

Also consider the fact that a PS4 is significantly cheaper than a PC. Making it an even better choice.

Studying doesn't happen 24/7 in college.

Also, when your mom and dad aren't paying your way through college, you end up broke.  

Also considering I can build a gaming PC for less than $200, I would say that a gaming PC is cheaper than a PS4.  (Used parts FTW).

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

3 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Studying doesn't happen 24/7 in college.

Also, when your mom and dad aren't paying your way through college, you end up broke.  

Also considering I can build a gaming PC for less than $200, I would say that a gaming PC is cheaper than a PS4.  (Used parts FTW).

Depends what you're taking. My gf was doing a double major in Economics and Marketing and believe me, if you weren't studying all the time you were falling behind and failing. Again, I know many people that worked their way through college and weren't broke. You can't generalize. There's something to be said for the SFF of a PS4, but each to their own.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red