Apple's Airpods are now on sale

goodtofufriday
1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Weren't these the things that got delayed, and then delayed indefinitely (abandoned)?  And now suddenly they show up...

Were they delayed indefinitely? i must have missed that part. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Were they delayed indefinitely? i must have missed that part. 

Yeah, someone posted news about it on the forum a month or so ago.

2 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

Just read some articles, it seems to have been a misunderstanding. I remember on a wan show Linus mentioned a product that was delayed indefinitely, and then went to market, and then they figured out that indefinitely can technically mean "delayed for an unspecified amount". So in a sense, the air pods were delayed indefinitely, so long as the word is interpreted differently.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Weren't these the things that got delayed, and then delayed indefinitely (abandoned)?  And now suddenly they show up...

5 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

The article/s were misquoted/mis-reported. They were delayed but Apple didn't specify when it was delayed until -- so instead of saying "Air Pods have been delayed until some unspecified date", everyone basically said "Air Pods delayed indefinitely". 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

So in a sense, the air pods were delayed indefinitely, so long as the word is interpreted differently.

in·def·i·nite·ly
ˌinˈdef(ə)nətlē/
  • to an unlimited or unspecified degree or extent.

The only confusion was that haters prefer the first half of the definition.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Just read some articles, it seems to have been a misunderstanding. I remember on a wan show Linus mentioned a product that was delayed indefinitely, and then went to market, and then they figured out that indefinitely can technically mean "delayed for an unspecified amount". So in a sense, the air pods were delayed indefinitely, so long as the word is interpreted differently.

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, there was a bit of a mix-up with the wording. It made sense in my mind though, which assumed that they were to be delayed by an unspecified amount time as opposed to how the thread was worded.

Woooo! ..... Aaaand I lost one.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Glad these are coming. This is what Apple does best, taking existing products and popularizing them, and even making them better sometimes, which is why old ideas/products become popular. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Meh, still not interested.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hm. I wonder what the strength of the waves are. Having something like that close to your skin for hours sounds. Unhealthy.

13 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Now that, took a friggin while.

Rumors have it that there was an issue managing both connections simultaneously without issues.

13 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Hm. I wonder what the strength of the waves are. Having something like that close to your skin for hours sounds. Unhealthy.

If bluetooth was likely to cause issues it would have likely manifested by now seeing as there have been plenty of people using bluetooth headphones extensively for years (and bluetooth earpieces for over a decade). 

Although, I have my own personal reservations on the matter. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm now starting to think that Jony Ive is on drugs especially if we consider that the AirPods look like Q-tips. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 hours ago, bgibbz said:

Lel all those reviews are fake, the airpods haven't even been released

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Lel all those reviews are fake, the airpods haven't even been released

Well sure, but nobody was criticizing the product, rather the idea behind the product.

Just now, bgibbz said:

Well sure, but nobody was criticizing the product, rather the idea behind the product.

I think lots of the reviews were fake from the company "innovative new product"
yeah, so innovative that they brought wires back to wireless headphones

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

8 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Take a look at your $160, then go look at what Sennheiser or Sony or AKG or BOSE or Beyerdynamic or literally any other brand of headphones in that price range, wired or not, before you rush out and join the queue for these because these sound exactly like the regular wired EarPods which themselves are like 2x the price of what they should be.

And remember those Bluetooth in-ear things that business people wore that made them look like a nut? Yeah, now you have two of these in at the same time.

There's more to headphones than sound quality in a vacuum. At home, I will still use my Sony wired headphones. Outside is where these Airpods shine, because I will be able to take them out and use them and keep them with ease without needing to fiddle with wires. 

I am also stoked about the promised ease of switching Bluetooth connectivity between all my Apple devices. 

Have ordered one. Will see how they fare when I get them next week. :) 

https://www.apple.com/ca/airpods/

$220.

Ships: 4 weeks Free Shipping

(1) Requires an iCloud account and macOS Sierra, iOS 10 or watchOS 3.

why an icloud account?

(256Kbps AAC encoding). Volume was set to 50%. Testing consisted of full AirPods battery discharge while playing audio until the first AirPod stopped playback.

>50%

>256kbps

it sounds like regular earpods, no?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

51 minutes ago, themctipers said:

$220.

why an icloud account?

(256Kbps AAC encoding). Volume was set to 50%. Testing consisted of full AirPods battery discharge while playing audio until the first AirPod stopped playback.

>50%

>256kbps

₹220, oh hello there Canada. 

It might want an iCloud account so it can automatically sync with any of your devices also connected to that iCloud account. 

I'd assume it sounds like normal earpods. Although, you'll have to wait for reviews to know for sure. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

52 minutes ago, themctipers said:

$220.

why an icloud account?

>50%

>256kbps

The iCloud bit is important -- it pairs your AirPods with other Apple devices and switches between them (you can go running with your Apple Watch while using the buds normally paired with your phone, for example).

22 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

₹220, oh hello there Canada. 

It might want an iCloud account so it can automatically sync with any of your devices also connected to that iCloud account. 

I'd assume it sounds like normal earpods. Although, you'll have to wait for reviews to know for sure. 

I assume so as well, which makes it all the more insane that these will actually sell.  Does no one have a problem paying $200+ for something that will sound like they cost $5?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I assume so as well, which makes it all the more insane that these will actually sell.  Does no one have a problem paying $200+ for something that will sound like they cost $5?

They don't sound that bad. And the other truly wireless earbuds (that are all more expensive) probably don't sound much better and have worse battery life. 

p.s. it's only 160 real dollars (most other wireless earbuds are $200~)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

They don't sound that bad. And the other truly wireless earbuds (that are all more expensive) probably don't sound much better and have worse battery life. 

p.s. it's only 160 real dollars (most other wireless earbuds are $200~)

@themctipers Well I know you have experience with apple products and a variety of inexpensive ear buds... what would you say?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

so the solution is wires ?

Yes, we spend all this money to make them wireless and then spend even more on an accessory to avoid losing them.

The sad thing is someone will actually do this.

3 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

so the solution is wires ?

Evidently.