Dell fixes Ultrabook that smells like cat urine.

chillxnate

Thought this was funnier than anything else...

"The BBC is reporting that Dell's Latitude 6430u Ultrabooks have an interesting characteristic you won't find in any Macbook Air: the palm rest emits an odor like cat urine. An issue with a manufacturing process is thought to be to blame. Although Dell has assured potential customers that the issue has been fixed, reports in the Dell support forum indicate that units with the novel fragrance continue to ship out to users. Dell staff state that the palm rest will be replaced by Dell at no cost, but only if the unit is still under warranty."

Choose our latest feature on your own Dell: Crazy Cat Lady edition for $0

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Maybe the 'cat' was looking for a nice big fat 'mouse' and all he could find was a touchpad and a pointing stick. So he pissed onto every ultrabook in the warehouse. LOL

That's ridiculous.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Lolololol

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Asus Z87 PRO | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 | Graphics Card: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II OC | SSD128GB Samsung 840 Evo  | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 | Monitor: 2x LG 22EA53VQ IPS 

They should have done some testing on it before releasing cat urine like smell palm rest for consumers.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

So this is where Rocket went for the past month

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

id take one. just sayin.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

oh dear god thats horrible Dell before launching a product make sure to check it next time...

To be fair to Dell, you would have to do some pretty extensive testing on a laptop to realize that the palm rest smells like cast piss

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Ammonia is widely used in the manufacturing of rubbers and plastics and used as a chemical scrubber for silicon wafers as well, it's not uncommon that some residue can remain. This sounds more like a consistent problem though, which makes me think they've somehow sealed the palm rest with a varnish of some sort before the ammonia has been blasted/ dried off. Then the customer's sweat does the rest.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They should hire a few people to smell every part of the ultrabook in qa :D.

To be fair to Dell, you would have to do some pretty extensive testing on a laptop to realize that the palm rest smells like cast piss

it should not be put into production without full testing of the product opening the lid they would smell it

it should not be put into production without full testing of the product opening the lid they would smell it

No they wouldn't, this is likely due to a little ammonia getting trapped under some varnish or satin rubber coating or other similar sealant, which only actual human use over several weeks would uncover.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.