4K Bluray requirements on pc

Watt is the requirement to watch 4K Bluray on PC?

My bluray drive won't detect the disk, The drive is a asus bw-16d1ht and i have a lichens for PowerDVD16 

If Linus ore luck (Sorry i don't know how to spell your name) see this can you make a video on how you do this.

Rumor: 

LG Wh16NS40 Super Multi blue internal (2015 or later) can read 4K disks. Can anyone confirm this?

PowerDVD 16 should be able to play it if i am not mistaken but this need testing

Ok PowerDVD 16 is out for now

Dear Kim,

Thank you for writing us back.

In regards to your concern, I would like to inform you that PowerDVD 16/Live and below version don’t support UltraHD Blu-ray (UHD-BD) disc playback yet. The requirements for PCs to play UHD-BD discs is much greater than for CE players, and currently CyberLink is still developing it for the PC ecosystem.

To support UltraHD Blu-ray movie disc playback on the PC, several new technologies are required. These new technologies need to be incorporated into the software, optical drives (ODD), CPUs, and graphics processors, and are not all available on the market yet. CyberLink is dedicated to supporting UHD-BD and we’re working closely with our partners (ODD, CPU and graphics processor manufacturers) to deliver a solution.

Although the latest version PowerDVD 16 doesn’t support Ultra HD Blu-ray disc playback. You can still enjoy 4K HEVC UltraHD video files playback by PowerDVD 16.

-- http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=19074 

Thanks and Regards,

Sunpreet
CyberLink Technical Support

a 4k bluray

afaik a 4k bluray player

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 minutes ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

I don't believe 4k Bluray disk drives are available yet. Regular bluray drives cannot detect a 4k bluray disk.

Basically this. Blame Hollywood for enforcing bullshit DRM.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

As some have already stated there will be DRM on 4k blueray via player and in some cases screen this I feel will limit adoption of 4k blueray thus my advice is simply ignore it as we don't want to feed harmful DRM practices.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Probably better to pretend 4k Blu Ray doesn't exist on PC. Close enough for regular Blu Ray as it is. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I'm one of those people who would like to see 4k blu-ray on PC.  However, I don't want all the heavy handed DRM crap that's almost guaranteed going to come with it, because it will eventually be broken by someone - making it useless, and just create problems for the legitimate users. 

So for the time being, I'm ignoring 4k blu-ray on PC.  

P.S. Fun personal story about DRM:  Back when I was in college, I didn't have a TV and watched all my blu-ray media on my PC (I used blu-ray because the internet connection was slow and unreliable - not good for streaming anything higher than 360 or 480).  However, one day I had a weird driver problem (I was never able to figure out what caused it) that made my HDCP compliant set up suddenly "not" HDCP compliant.  I spent several days trying to fix it and eventually gave up.  I ended up getting my content from --insert less than reputable method here-- because I couldn't play them from the discs I bought.  The problem wasn't fixed until a couple years later when I upgraded to an SSD and reinstalled the OS.  Hurray for shitty DRM!

44 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Probably better to pretend 4k Blu Ray doesn't exist on PC. Close enough for regular Blu Ray as it is. 

I'm confused, if there's 4K standalone Blu-Ray players including the Xbox One S why wouldn't there be drives for PCs?

11 minutes ago, Zoravar said:

I'm one of those people who would like to see 4k blu-ray on PC.  However, I don't want all the heavy handed DRM crap that's almost guaranteed going to come with it, because it will eventually be broken by someone - making it useless, and just create problems for the legitimate users. 

So for the time being, I'm ignoring 4k blu-ray on PC.  

P.S. Fun personal story about DRM:  Back when I was in college, I didn't have a TV and watched all my blu-ray media on my PC (I used blu-ray because the internet connection was slow and unreliable - not good for streaming anything higher than 360 or 480).  However, one day I had a weird driver problem (I was never able to figure out what caused it) that made my HDCP compliant set up suddenly "not" HDCP compliant.  I spent several days trying to fix it and eventually gave up.  I ended up getting my content from --insert less than reputable method here-- because I couldn't play them from the discs I bought.  The problem wasn't fixed until a couple years later when I upgraded to an SSD and reinstalled the OS.  Hurray for shitty DRM!

What "heavy handed" DRM are you talking about?  Whether it's watching Blu-Ray discs on one of my game consoles or DVDs on a computer (don't have a Blu-Ray drive yet) I've never noticed anything.  Even my friend who does have an external Blu-Ray drive for her laptop hasn't mentioned any trouble using it.  

Unless you're trying to illegally copy Blu-Ray disc movies/tv shows then there shouldn't be a problem.  

17 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm confused, if there's 4K standalone Blu-Ray players including the Xbox One S why wouldn't there be drives for PCs?

I thought that too, but when I was searching for one about a month ago I couldn't find any.  (On that note, if anyone knows of one and could link it, I would be interested)

11 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What "heavy handed" DRM

That was probably a stronger phrase to use than necessary.  I had a bad experience resulting from it in the past so I'm a little biased.  I know it works fine 99.9% of the time. 

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Unless you're trying to illegally copy Blu-Ray disc movies/tv shows

Nope. Just trying to watch them.

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

there shouldn't be a problem

No, there shouldn't have been any problems. But for whatever reason there was. This was around 5 years ago, and like I said in the post, I still have no idea what caused the problem.  It took an OS reinstall to get it to go away.  

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Blu-Ray discs on one of my game consoles or DVDs on a computer

As a side note: I've been a PC gamer for a long time and didn't have a console that would play blu-ray.  And playing DVDs on the computer would work fine, but blu-ray didn't (it worked one day and just decided to stop the next day).  But the fact that DVDs still worked didn't help me much since most of my collection was blu-ray at the time. 

3 minutes ago, Zoravar said:

I thought that too, but when I was searching for one about a month ago I couldn't find any.  (On that note, if anyone knows of one and could link it, I would be interested)

That was probably a stronger phrase to use than necessary.  I had a bad experience resulting from it in the past so I'm a little biased.  I know it works fine 99.9% of the time. 

Nope. Just trying to watch them.

No, there shouldn't have been any problems. But for whatever reason there was. This was around 5 years ago, and like I said in the post, I still have no idea what caused the problem.  It took an OS reinstall to get it to go away.  

As a side note: I've been a PC gamer for a long time and didn't have a console that would play blu-ray.  And playing DVDs on the computer would work fine, but blu-ray didn't (it worked one day and just decided to stop the next day).  But the fact that DVDs still worked didn't help me much since most of my collection was blu-ray at the time. 

Oh well.  I watch all my movies at home anyway so using a console or dedicated 4K Blu-Ray player wouldn't be a problem for me at least.  

That's odd you had a problem but that's good you were able to eventually fix it. 

I've been getting Blu-Rays for years too.  They're much better than DVDs: the cases are better, read: smaller and blue my favorite color, but best of all the discs themselves are very resistant to scratches.  Of course they can still be scratched but it's a lot less likely to happen.   

44 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What "heavy handed" DRM are you talking about?  Whether it's watching Blu-Ray discs on one of my game consoles or DVDs on a computer (don't have a Blu-Ray drive yet) I've never noticed anything.  Even my friend who does have an external Blu-Ray drive for her laptop hasn't mentioned any trouble using it.  

Unless you're trying to illegally copy Blu-Ray disc movies/tv shows then there shouldn't be a problem.  

Yous got some reserch to do Look into HDCP for 4k blu ray/ 4k streaming and youll get your answer why they dont exist for PC yet and why its not worth getting if it did 

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I watch all my movies at home anyway so using a console or dedicated 4K Blu-Ray player wouldn't be a problem for me at least.

Since getting out of college I've been able to put together a much better set up since I'm not moving twice a year :P.  I'm not quite at the point where I can get a 4k theater setup going, but one can dream. 

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I've been getting Blu-Rays for years too.  They're much better than DVDs: the cases are better, read: smaller and blue my favorite color, but best of all the discs themselves are very resistant to scratches.

I completely agree with you.  Even on the color :D

6 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Yous got some reserch to do Look into HDCP for 4k blu ray/ 4k streaming and youll get your answer why they dont exist for PC yet and why its not worth getting if it did 

Unfortunately, 4k streaming on PC is its own beast.  I think very few people are going to have all the necessary hardware and most will probably need to upgrade.  4k Netflix on PC requires a 7th gen Kaby Lake intel processor, the latest release of windows 10, and the edge browser (on top of the usual 4k monitor and an internet connection capable of supporting it). 

Personally, I've thought about buying a 4k capable streaming player (such as a Nvidia Shield or Roku) and hooking that up to my monitor.  It would be much cheaper than having to upgrade my entire PC, which (besides for 4k streaming) I have no need or desire to upgrade.  

It's hard enough getting regular Blurays to play on a PC consistently, having done it, I'd recommend a stand alone player. The studios view the PC as how content gets pirated, not how it gets consumed, and I suspect would be more than happy to keep 4K Bluray off PC entirely. If it did come to PC I'd expect similar restrictions to Netflix 4K streaming. Given how little content is filmed in 4K I'm not sure there is much point in stepping up to 4K Bluray yet anyway, especially with the early adopters premium.

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

It's hard enough getting regular Blurays to play on a PC consistently, having done it, I'd recommend a stand alone player. The studios view the PC as how content gets pirated, not how it gets consumed, and I suspect would be more than happy to keep 4K Bluray off PC entirely. If it did come to PC I'd expect similar restrictions to Netflix 4K streaming. Given how little content is filmed in 4K I'm not sure there is much point in stepping up to 4K Bluray yet anyway, especially with the early adopters premium.

Just wondering, since I haven't done it yet, how are you getting the video to the monitor and the audio to where it needs to be with the standalone player? (I'm assuming you're using a monitor without built-in speakers, so just going HDMI to the monitor wouldn't work by itself.) 

On 12/7/2016 at 0:13 PM, Kim- Alexsander said:

Watt is the requirement to watch 4K Bluray on PC?

My bluray drive won't detect the disk, The drive is a asus bw-16d1ht and i have a lichens for PowerDVD16 

If Linus ore luck (Sorry i don't know how to spell your name) see this can you make a video on how you do this.

Rumor: 

LG Wh16NS40 Super Multi blue internal (2015 or later) can read 4K disks. Can anyone confirm this?

PowerDVD 16 should be able to play it if i am not mistaken but this need testing

PowerDVD cannot play UHD Bluray. I don't know of any PC software that can at this point.

You're probably better off using an XBox One S if you're after UHD BD playback.