Upgrade path to choose

Budget (including currency): 400€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, all games (both me and the wife use the PC)

Other details:

Hey all!

I currently have:

R5 2600

5700XT Sapphire

Kingston 4x4GB 3000Mhz RAM

B450M Pro-4 f

I have a 400€ budget to upgrade it and was thinking of chasing an R5 5600x, 2x16GB 3600Mhz RAM and an Asus Prime AP-850G PSU, so that I can upgrade my GPU as well down the line.

The current PSU I have is an FSP HV PRO 650W which I am not to confident in but is working for now.

My friend recommended upgrading the platform to AM5, getting an R5 7600, Kingston Fury 32GB kit at 5600Mhz C40 and an Asus Prime B650M-K mobo.

Both upgrades come out to roughly the same price, but I would either then be stuck on AM4, or have to wait for a year to upgrade the PSU first and then the GPU at some point after that.

I would like to hear some opinions on what do you think is better and why?

Thank you in advance!

43 minutes ago, CrazySerb99 said:

Asus Prime AP-850G PSU

What power supply do you have now? 

43 minutes ago, CrazySerb99 said:

Both upgrades come out to roughly the same price, but I would either then be stuck on AM4, or have to wait for a year to upgrade the PSU first and then the GPU at some point after that.

I don't see how a new motherboard, new CPU, and DDR5 could cost the same as a last gen CPU, some moderately fast DDR4, and a power supply. It sounds like the pricing that you have available is not particularly good value for the 5600. That, or you're getting a great discount on the 7600.

For AM4 stuff I would personally recommend the used market to save some money. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

54 minutes ago, CrazySerb99 said:

Kingston Fury 32GB kit at 5600Mhz C40

For about $10-20 more get 6000mhz at C30

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

41 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

What power supply do you have now? 

I don't see how a new motherboard, new CPU, and DDR5 could cost the same as a last gen CPU, some moderately fast DDR4, and a power supply. It sounds like the pricing that you have available is not particularly good value for the 5600. That, or you're getting a great discount on the 7600.

For AM4 stuff I would personally recommend the used market to save some money. 

I currently have the FSP HV PRO 650W PSU.

As for the pricing, here is what is available here:

5600x - 135€

2x16GB DDR4 - 87€

Asus PSU - 124€

7600 - 195€

2x16GB DDR5 - 80€

Prime B650M-K - 122€

Bad calculation on my part, guess the AM4 upgrade would come out to 350€ rather than 400€, so 50€ left over for maybe stepping up to a ryzen 5700x instead of the 5600x, but as I noticed thats not really worth it for gaming.

1 minute ago, CrazySerb99 said:

2x16GB DDR4 - 87€

that's pretty expensive for the memory, you're looking at a DDR4 kit that's actually cheaper than the DDR5? I would say consider a cheaper 2x16GB option

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

that's pretty expensive for the memory, you're looking at a DDR4 kit that's actually cheaper than the DDR5? I would say consider a cheaper 2x16GB option

Well, the pricing for DDR4 here is pretty bad, so for a 2x16 thats as good as it gets...

The stores in my country are not very good at lowering the price of old tech once something new comes out.

54 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

For about $10-20 more get 6000mhz at C30

So you would say a platform upgrade is better?

option one ( the 5600x)

Pros:

the 5600x is significantly better than the 5600

32 gigs of ram is plenty for gaming right now

If the psu is decent it will be nice for future proofing

Cons:

You will be limited on AM4 needing to upgrade to different platform in the future

Option two (7600)

Cons:

AM5 is more future proof meaning that in the future you might only need a cpu upgrade

7600 with decent ram is faster than the 5600x  by a decent amount

Cons;

This might affect your future upgrades. You will get a cost contraint on the psu, meaning that when the gpu aupgarde is coming, you would need to get anothert psu aswell

This could also delay gpu upgrade since you would need a new psu.

I would recommend the 5600x setup, since gpu upgarde will come after and that cpu will get you going for many years.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

8 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

option one ( the 5600x)

Pros:

the 5600x is significantly better than the 5600

32 gigs of ram is plenty for gaming right now

If the psu is decent it will be nice for future proofing

Cons:

You will be limited on AM4 needing to upgrade to different platform in the future

Option two (7600)

Cons:

AM5 is more future proof meaning that in the future you might only need a cpu upgrade

7600 with decent ram is faster than the 5600x  by a decent amount

Cons;

This might affect your future upgrades. You will get a cost contraint on the psu, meaning that when the gpu aupgarde is coming, you would need to get anothert psu aswell

This could also delay gpu upgrade since you would need a new psu.

I would recommend the 5600x setup, since gpu upgarde will come after and that cpu will get you going for many years.

Pretty much sums it up perfectly, yup.

Made perfect sense to me as well until my friend brought up GPU scaling into the argument, that's where I saw that the 7600 can really let some GPU's stretch their legs, hence why I'm undecided as to what is the best long-er term decision.

2 minutes ago, CrazySerb99 said:

Pretty much sums it up perfectly, yup.

Made perfect sense to me as well until my friend brought up GPU scaling into the argument, that's where I saw that the 7600 can really let some GPU's stretch their legs, hence why I'm undecided as to what is the best long-er term decision.

5600x is very good cpu still, and if you would need more cores in the future bying a second had 5900x or 5800X3D ( i have that myself) for cheap in the next 3-4 years is a vice option.

So i would honestly take the 5600x deal. What kind of psus were you looking at?

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

6 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

5600x is very good cpu still, and if you would need more cores in the future bying a second had 5900x or 5800X3D ( i have that myself) for cheap in the next 3-4 years is a vice option.

So i would honestly take the 5600x deal. What kind of psus were you looking at?

Was thinking about an RTX 3080 some time in the future, I've mentioned my current PSU and the one I'm thinking of buying it the first post. Saw some reviews and the Asus PSU looks good.

3 minutes ago, CrazySerb99 said:

Was thinking about an RTX 3080 some time in the future, I've mentioned my current PSU and the one I'm thinking of buying it the first post. Saw some reviews and the Asus PSU looks good.

Asus pus are usually overpcied, but it depends were you live. Here is a tier list that has basic tiering for psus.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

5 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Asus pus are usually overpcied, but it depends were you live. Here is a tier list that has basic tiering for psus.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

https://www.itsvet.com/cenovnik-pda1-57.i?v704=850&option=

Here is the list of 850W PSU that I am looking at, that website shows the lowest prices in the country from actual stores. Of course I could buy them for like 10€ cheaper with no warranty but I don't really feel like it.

From that list the Asus PSU looks to be the most reputable.

For reference 1 EUR is around 117 RSD. When opening an item the price will be shown both in RSD and EUR.

This is the site I'm using for the other components as well, if someone is curious how stupid the pricing is here lol.

5 minutes ago, CrazySerb99 said:

-SNIP-

Out of those the Be quiet Straiht Power 11 gold, would be the best choice.

3 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Out of those the Be quiet Straiht Power 11 gold, would be the best choice.

Yeah, and it would be 178€ too. That would cap off my 400€ budget pretty much.

Think it would better to use it towards the PSU rather than something else?

1 minute ago, CrazySerb99 said:

Yeah, and it would be 178€ too. That would cap off my 400€ budget pretty much.

Oh, thats true. I was lookigna the asus one and it seemed like a simialrity in price.

Corsair

RME 850w is cheaper, might get that one.

2 minutes ago, CrazySerb99 said:

No, but a good psu will last easily the warranty time, which in Corsair is 10 years i believe

Any other opinions perhaps? 😄

13 minutes ago, CrazySerb99 said:

Any other opinions perhaps? 😄

also bying secondhand form a safer marketplace like ebay like is a good choice for AM4. 

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

also bying secondhand form a safer marketplace like ebay like is a good choice for AM4. 

With a 20-30% import tax, not so much honestly, that is without shipping of course

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just wanted to share an update, I went the AM4 upgrade route.

Very happy with the performance boost, especially after enabling PBO, this thing is wiiild.

11400 in cinebench, great upgrade from 7000 with the 2600.

32gigs of faster ram are a huge benefit as well.

Aand Im GPU upgrade ready too.

Good luck, have fun! 😄