GTX 1060 and RX 480 retested (spoilers, the red team wins!)

TechGod
1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

People just don't understand that it is okay to switch brand once for a while. The 1st and 2nd graphics card I  bought was from nvidia. Never complained. The one I am using now is a RX480. Cos I want to give amd a chance. The more you stick to one company, the more they will likely rise their price tags next time they launch a new series of cards. 

No you switch brands when that brand suits your best interest. I would never choose a brand because they are getting stomped by the competition. 

1 hour ago, TechGod said:

You're the biggest fanboy I have ever seen. 

Says the guy with "Apple is the best company ever." in his member tag xD

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

25 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Says the guy with "Apple is the best company ever." in his member tag xD

As a joke. I wouldn't have an Android phone and a new PC on the way if I thought they were the best. 

all this fanboy rant is giving me cancer

I gonna to keep this simple

DX12 API has been code in such a way it uses Low Level hardware Abstraction meaning developers have access to low level driver code which may be one size fits all system but works wonder when there are so many variables in terms of computer hardware.

As compared to DX11, the overhead for Draw Call be on the CPU, which was the bottleneck in CPU bound games.With DX12 the draw call time is reduce by half. This means less CPU overheads and the possibility of almost zero CPU bound games.

AMD GPUs which are based on the GCN architecture run off the RISC SIMD (or rather SIMT) microarchitecture contrasting the VLIW SIMD architecture of TeraScale. GCN requires considerably more transistors than TeraScale, but offers advantages for GPGPU computation. It makes the compiler simpler and should also lead to better utilization.

Combined with DX12 Low Level hardware Abstraction, game developers are able to extract every single Compute Units on the AMD GPUs.

nVidia is losing because they are getting lazy and expect game developers to use high level driver codes expect all of their Geforce GPUs to scale in games.

Already nVidia move to remove support for 3 way and 4 way SLi goes to show how lazy the engineers and driver developers in nVidia are already.

This retest of the GPUs show AMD drivers are getting much better and now able to close the gap in DX11 games and out performs the GTX1060 in DX12 which is to be expected

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

20 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

now i'm gonna start recommending rx 480s only for the extra ram :)

And I'm gonna keep giving everyone 4GB 480s because it's the same performance for significantly less :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

And I'm gonna keep giving everyone 4GB 480s because it's the same performance for significantly less :P

now that it's dead even with the 6gb 1060 its an even better choice compared to the 3gb 1060, but if games start to use more than 4gb in the future(or at least while its still relevant) than you're gonna have a problem. will still go for the fury as @Morgan MLGman suggested for now though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

now that it's dead even with the 6gb 1060 its an even better choice compared to the 3gb 1060, but if games start to use more than 4gb in the future(or at least while its still relevant) than you're gonna have a problem. will still go for the fury as @Morgan MLGman suggested for now though.

I think realistically, devs will not start requiring more than 4GB for High Settings anytime soon. Only for stuff like Nightmare Textures and shit that doesn't even improve the visuals by that much.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Looks like a bunch of peeps got triggered by zMeul. Might be a good time to remind the lot why you shouldn't be.

Wait. What?? So zMeul who is a Nvidia shill, makes a post that baselessly attacks AMD and people don't have the right to be upset? Maybe he should be the one that shouldn't be here considering he is the biggest troll I've seen. 

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

R9 Fury is indeed better than both, but not that much faster than your R9 390...

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-R9-390-vs-AMD-R9-Fury/3481vs3509

Also, if this is to upgrade the rig in your signature then i think your money would be much better spent on a platform upgrade with a new CPU and RAM instead of +20% GPU performance. :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

R9 Fury is indeed better than both, but not that much faster than your R9 390...

Also, if this is to upgrade the rig in your signature then i think your money would be much better spent on a platform upgrade with a new CPU and RAM instead of +20% GPU performance. :)

oh no, not my rig :P i meant build recommendations, the fury seems about gone in local stores IIRC(and you can find gtx 1070s for $450-500 here).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

42 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Wait. What?? So zMeul who is a Nvidia shill, makes a post that baselessly attacks AMD and people don't have the right to be upset? Maybe he should be the one that shouldn't be here considering he is the biggest troll I've seen. 

No he isn't an nvidia shill.

He just hates amd "with every fibre of his body'.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

12 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Ah. So there's a difference?

Well yea...

He's bashed nvidia before. Disqualfies him as an nvidia shill. But he hates amd unreasonably, anything AMD that comes out from him would certainly be more "toxic". It seems that newer members do not know that we just leave him be.

He's even declared on this forum that he hates amd to the core. Probably wants yall to know what's gonna come and not take certain things from him seriously.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Looks like a bunch of peeps got triggered by zMeul. Might be a good time to remind the lot why you shouldn't be.

maybe we should remind the mods why some posters cause too much damage to be positive for the forums?

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

maybe we should remind the mods why some posters cause too much damage to be positive for the forums?

Freedom of speech. If they did that, yall would go into a frenzy ;)

1 hour ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

if you can find the Fury NITRO+ TRI-X OC, then you're gold. It is voltage unlocked and some of them has allowed for 100-150Mhz OC on the core, which we both know is HUGE on AMD. That would be equiv to a 980 (not 980Ti) hitting near 1600-1700MHz on air. Which would certainly give you good performance. 

If you can find one of those for 250-300$, then you've gotten good value for your money indeed.

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Freedom of speech. If they did that, yl would go into a frenzy ;)

doesnt apply here. This is not a public arena, This is a private restricted server. They can police it however they want. LMG and its staff has every right imaginable to restrict access to any one member they want to place restrictions upon.

Access to this forum is a PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT!

17 minutes ago, Prysin said:

doesnt apply here. This is not a public arena, This is a private restricted server. They can police it however they want. LMG and its staff has every right imaginable to restrict access to any one member they want to place restrictions upon.

And have a horde of "no cencorship" pansies attacking the forum? Nah, i would think most would avoid that. Because LTT is becoming so international right now "managing my own forum however i please" would be more difficult. 

Even then, the mod team might have difficulties getting every mod to agree with this kind of a move. Everyone on there has a different set of principles. That's why it also gets so messy here.

50 minutes ago, Zeeeeee said:

(Edited): No longer relevant since he's been removed-

You understand that it's not just their time you are wasting, right? It requires time and effort on your part to keep making accounts, and troll the forum with your over-the-top nonsense. You can actually avoid this entirely by simply being less aggressive with your opinions. You openly insult people and label them things they are not, simply for having a difference of opinion. This does absolutely nothing to get through to people. If you want to get your point across, you must educate people on why you believe yourself to be right, and explain (in detail) why you think so. If they still fail to see your side of things, then move on. You cannot force your will upon others, and you cannot expect to be unchallenged when doing so. 

Was what you said banworthy? Probably, though I am in no position to judge. I can say that your lack of subtlety, and general tendency to overreact to others during a simple discussion means you are likely to repeat this behavior. Your current post does not aid in proving otherwise either. You'd be better off reflecting on this, and improving yourself rather than wage a holy crusade against a random tech forum. I certainly could think of better ways to spend ones time.

53 minutes ago, Prysin said:

I can say first hand that the mods here are very tame compared to other forums I have been apart of. Even when I do very questionable attacks against a certain Intel devotee, I have yet to receive a warning point. Maybe a few post-edits here and there, but nothing beyond that. I respect this forum because of that. They know the vast majority of us are adults, and can handle name calling and criticism to an extent, without their intervention on our behalf. Aside from blatant spam, or nonsensical insults (see first half of this post), not much intervention is needed. A lot of conflicts resolve themselves. As much as I disagree with zMeul's irrational anti-AMD crusade, as long as he remains within the rules, and at least provides evidence to his claims, I wouldn't recommend action against him. I'd much rather beat him at his own game, with far more sources and evidence proving the contrary of his claims. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

23 hours ago, zMeul said:

wohoo red team wins .. except you completely ignored the conclusion: price of each card

here, the GTX1060 3GB model is cheaper than the RX480 4GB - although I do not recommend the 3GB variant of the 1060 at all

same deal goes for the GTX1060 6GB, it's slightly cheaper (barely) than the RX480 8GB model

and the STEAM HW survey tells the story: GTX1060 is the card that sold http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

November: GTX1060 stands at 1.53% while RX480 is at 0.37% - more surprisingly, GTX1070 has 1.59%

I'm sorry AMD, you lost - and AMD lost because they did not offer any competition for the GTX1070 and GTX1080

and you know what's sad about AMD's penetration in the market? the HD79xx series, ~5y old cards, have 1.24%

the RX 480 was sold plenty, just not to gamers.

33 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I can say first hand that the mods here are very tame compared to other forums I have been apart of. Even when I do very questionable attacks against a certain Intel devotee, I have yet to receive a warning point. Maybe a few post-edits here and there, but nothing beyond that. I respect this forum because of that. They know the vast majority of us are adults, and can handle name calling and criticism to an extent, without their intervention on our behalf. Aside from blatant spam, or nonsensical insults (see first half of this post), not much intervention is needed. A lot of conflicts resolve themselves. As much as I disagree with zMeul's irrational anti-AMD crusade, as long as he remains within the rules, and at least provides evidence to his claims, I wouldn't recommend action against him. I'd much rather beat him at his own game, with far more sources and evidence proving the contrary of his claims. 

problem is that newer members take his intentional misinformation as gospel. Beacuse they do not know he is a troll.

And that is the bottom line. He is a TROLL. He intentionally goes out there and posts bullshit in order to cause flamewars. Trolling is prohibited on these forums, so i do not know why he is allowed to keep going.

Doesnt matter if you believe in the bullshit or not. People who think the earth is flat is in the same league. They should all be put in a special place in order to not dumb down the rest of the population. Intellectual regression takes a lot longer to "fix" then removing the source of said intellectual regression

I originally posted the following in the wrong thread. If a mod thinks it's important to remove one of the posts, remove the one from here, please.

Analysis of AMD / Nvidia GPU tech and performance compared with AMD / Nvidia sales:

Bottom line: Nvidia is winning on the marketing front, and for many years has massively outsold AMD, even when AMD has had superior tech and offered vastly more performance per dollar.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I originally posted the following in the wrong thread. If a mod thinks it's important to remove one of the posts, remove the one from here, please.

Analysis of AMD / Nvidia GPU tech and performance compared with AMD / Nvidia sales:

Bottom line: Nvidia is winning on the marketing front, and for many years has massively outsold AMD, even when AMD has had superior tech and offered vastly more performance per dollar.

Which kinda sucks. 

12 hours ago, Prysin said:

problem is that newer members take his intentional misinformation as gospel. Beacuse they do not know he is a troll.

And that is the bottom line. He is a TROLL. He intentionally goes out there and posts bullshit in order to cause flamewars. Trolling is prohibited on these forums, so i do not know why he is allowed to keep going.

Doesnt matter if you believe in the bullshit or not. People who think the earth is flat is in the same league. They should all be put in a special place in order to not dumb down the rest of the population. Intellectual regression takes a lot longer to "fix" then removing the source of said intellectual regression

Call it what you will, but it does not change the fact that he does so within the rules. What he does, is take AMD news, and combs through it to spin it in a bad direction. Whether or not it's the right thing to do is irrelevant, it's not against the rules to do so. You recall when he tried to spin AMD selling their fab to that other company, and he treated it as AMD losing a fab and cutting jobs? That was a good move by AMD, as it allowed them to cut the cost of paying those employees, while still getting priority access to the fab, and those same employees simply got paid by another company, and did not lose their jobs. Was he lying by painting it in a bad light? Not really, he simply interpreted it incorrectly. He saw it as a potential loss of jobs for the employees, and as a sign that AMD could not afford to keep the fab going, and therefore had to sell it for financial reasons. Not exactly trolling, just ignorance on his behalf.

I don't advocate for the banning of anybody. I'd much rather prove them wrong repeatedly before I see them get permanently silenced by someone else. That could just be my masochistic nature, knowing it's futile to change the mind of someone that absolutely will not change, but it's part of who I am. As for people that take what others say as gospel, I blame them, not the source of deceit. It's your job to seek multiple sources, and to take time to understand things. If you take the words of others as fact, without any research into those claims, you are intentionally depriving yourself of a learning experience. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.