GTX 1060 and RX 480 retested (spoilers, the red team wins!)

TechGod

I am now even more glad that I got a Sapphire NITRO RX 480 over a 1060 :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

No confirmation bias or nothing, right?

So he should have got a 1060?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

No confirmation bias or nothing, right?

Or perhaps in games that he is playing it is better than 1060? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

So he should have got a 1060?

Depends on the price paid back then but probably: Back then a lot more games would run better and even today, even after this retest the vast majority still run about as good regardless for less TDP.

Only people with Freesync should make a different consideration imo.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, MograineLefay said:

You clearly are a fanboy of Nvidia and are just straight up bitching about AyyMD

I recommend using the ignore function, save your effort for something that's worth your time

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

27 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Depends on the price paid back then but probably: Back then a lot more games would run better and even today, even after this retest the vast majority still run about as good regardless for less TDP.

Back when I bought it, the 480 I got was about £20 cheaper than any 1060 (1060 had just launched).

It seems a lot of games I play work better with a 480, too. DOOM, for example, or DiRT.

Also, Freesync was a significant factor. 2560x1080 75Hz with Freesync is awesome :P

Finally, yes there is a probably element of confirmation bias involved. After months of being reminded that the product you bought is the slightly inferior choice, it's nice finding out that it's not as bad as everyone makes out ;)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

25 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Back when I bought it, the 480 I got was about £20 cheaper than any 1060 (1060 had just launched).

It seems a lot of games I play work better with a 480, too. DOOM, for example, or DiRT.

Also, Freesync was a significant factor. 2560x1080 75Hz with Freesync is awesome :P

Finally, yes there is a probably element of confirmation bias involved. After months of being reminded that the product you bought is the slightly inferior choice, it's nice finding out that it's not as bad as everyone makes out ;)

Not sure who "everyone" is but I can understand your sentiment with people like Linus never giving 2 shits about AMD even when it's an obviously superior choice (I remember his retarded "Muh Shield!" argument)

But at the very least you could say that actually did cover the advantages preemptively (Price, Freesync, minority of yet popular games that do work better).

-------

Current Rig

-------

39 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not sure who "everyone" is

You know, when someone posts a thread along the lines of "1060 vs 480" and everyone just automatically sounds off "1060" without any further consideration.

Hell, you could get a post saying "Hey, I need a new GPU, I play DX12 and Vulkan games, I have a Freesync monitor, I want to go SLI/Crossfire in the future, 1060 or 480?" and you'd still get people recommending the NVIDIA card :P Power of marketing I guess, anyone I talk to automatically assumes AMD = shit and NVIDIA = food of the gods...

17 hours ago, TechGod said:

I'm pretty sure in NZ, the 480 is cheaper than the 1060. At least with PB Tech

It is. I recently kitted out my partners rig with a 4GB RX 480 Nitro for $379incl GST from PB Tech. What a steal. 

Gigabyte 1060 Windforce 3GB is $399incl GST 

pretty sure I paid $600 for one of my 970's 12 months ago -.-

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

It is. I recently kitted out my partners rig with a 4GB RX 480 Nitro for $379incl GST from PB Tech. What a steal. 

Damn

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

18 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Let me explain something to you, It doesn't matter if AMD releases the RX 490 and it fucking obliterates the GTX 1070 by 10%, people are going to buy a GTX 1070. Want to know why? Because it says nVidia on it. AMD has lost, yes but it does not stop the fact that AMD has been the better company of the 2. AMD cannot help it that there are people on this planet like you that are so hard headed that not even a 2x4 could get through your thick skull. It does not matter what AMD does, because the nVidia circle jerk has been on a climb and has yet to fall, despite if AMD is the better choice or not. It is people like you who have their entire life dedicated to pushing AMD into the ground that AMD is not doing well. I took a Computer Diagnostic and Repair class this semester, 2 fucking kids had no clue who AMD was. It doesn't matter how many of us suggest AMD to people, the majority of the consumers are not going to ask for help, they are going to look up what's the latest GPU from nVidia in their price point and buy it.

Fuck your Steam survey, it just proves the circle jerk nVidia has.

The fuck? Its not people like him, it's Nvidia Marketing & AMD failure to Market. Stop blaming other consumers for another corporation fault. You know what its your fault the xbox one is losing to the PS4. 

14 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

My honest opinion is that no. it doesn't matter.

You know how relevant a 760 is right now? Not at all. You know how relevant a 270x is? Not at all.

(For aaa games where you actually want/need to be comparing dx12 to dx11)

Right now, the difference between the 1060 and 480 is honestly irrelevant on both sides of the argument. And using Hitman (an absolute disaster of game code) as the shining example of how dx12 can be better is just crap.

We all know full well that properly coded dx12 games give 0-5% increases to the 1060 and 5-15% increases to the 480. the fact of the matter is though that the vast majority of games thus released have been really shitty dx12 ports.

So yea, I'll take that into account and buy the gpu I want for the games I want to play as they come out, not magically try to future proof in an industry who's performance is scaling well over 50% per generation.

Don't tell this to my brother or else he would demand an upgrade

8 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Cheapest RX 480 8GB: 234$ ( http://pcpartpicker.com/product/d8rcCJ/xfx-radeon-rx-480-8gb-xxx-oc-video-card-rx-480m8bfa6),

Cheapest GTX 1060 6GB: 240$ (http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Ft7CmG/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10600a-10l)

Remember that if you get lucky and get a 1450mhz+ RX 480 (and I've already seen some of those on the forum) then it beats the 1060 even in terms of overclocked performance, which is what usually Nvidia had better.

While the RX 480 is a bit cheaper and seems to be more powerful overall after the drivers have improved, of course it depends on the game but I'm talking overall score comparison and averages from different resolutions and APIs, I still wouldn't recommend either of those cards until this goes off the sale: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/M2mxFT/sapphire-video-card-112470340g

240$ for a higher-end card that can perform as fast as a stock 1070 once overclocked, no 480 or 1060 can do that, it's just faster.

People overlook them old fury cards. I just don't like how long they are, a lot of people may no be able to fit those in their cases. 

I'll put my money where my mouth is (I love AMD's ethos and opensource approach, but Nvidia has had better top-end hardware at the moment) - if AMD can release a card that performs between a 1080 and 1080ti without being dual GPU, I'll sell my SLI 970 (updating to 1080ti at this point), my Predator X34 and buy the Vega 10, and Freesync 100hz 21:9 Ultrawide. 

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

my 480 4gb only consumes 100-110 +memory during games, and the max i have seen was 120w, and my strix uses a bit more being in the 110-120w region so its not as bad has it seems. one of the reasons for that is that the first one was made more recently and probably was made with a slightly better process. (both at the same clocks, on overclocking/undercloking 

8 hours ago, Centurius said:

Can you read? He quite clearly said the choice depends on which one is cheaper in the country the GPU is bought.

I would also hardly call the difference here to be significant enough for it to be considered "raping" Nvidia.

I.would consider it a  mild punch

Also nvidia has always been about xx70 and xx80Ti  cards(750Ti  was an exception) just look at the boss 970  is the  best selling dGpu 1070  has the highest market  share of current gen  cards

Also nvidia earns more per 1070 as compared to a 1060  so marketing a 1070  is a bigger agenda for nvidia(the reason why GoW4/WD2  was bundled with 1070&1080  but not 1060)

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

fanboyism of what? hating AMD because of their recurring stupidity? that I am guilty of

anything else, I'm not a fanboy of

I've been telling it for a very long time

AMD is guilty of:

• battered wife syndrome
  • being the cheaper alternative

AMD should:

• stop opening their mouths with every chance they get
  • compete in every sector of the market, not just the low and mid range
  • price the cards accordingly, stop trying to undercut nVIdia's prices

If Amd  stops "price control"  w would see  prices of Gpus  going through the roof 

Similar to the free reign that Intel enjoys 

Honestly$1700 I  could build an entire rig and pay a years internet connection in that

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

making a gpu is expensive and they don't have much money, if they don't have a card at that price is probably because, 1 it was too expensive and they couldn't afford it, 2 it wouldn't  profit enough 

Both nvidia and Intel have bigger R&D  budgets then AMDs  net worth though they are also competing in sectors and tech that AMD  is not fir ex  automated  card and AI

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

yes yes, nVidia's fanboy who tells people not to buy that piece of shit GTX1060 3GB model, who straight up accused nVidia of lying in the GTX970 VRAM issue - yes ... what an nVidia fanboy I am -_-

Vega .. 2nd coming of jesus H christ

and nVidia, instead of pumping new cards in the Pascal lineup, should sit on their hands?!

yeah ... xD

Well that can't titan Xp  is the GP102  at its max and if they were to launch a 1080ti/1090  on GP100  it renders the titan( cremè de la cremè )  useless

That is something I don't see nvidia doing

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

fanboyism of what? hating AMD because of their recurring stupidity? that I am guilty of

anything else, I'm not a fanboy of

I've been telling it for a very long time

AMD is guilty of:

• battered wife syndrome
  • being the cheaper alternative

AMD should:

• stop opening their mouths with every chance they get
  • compete in every sector of the market, not just the low and mid range
  • price the cards accordingly, stop trying to undercut nVIdia's prices

You're the biggest fanboy I have ever seen. 

2 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

That is the same card I picked up from them! I can't believe that ther 8GB model is a whole 100 dollars more. I had a 2.5K budget and it would have been great to get the higher end model...

1 minute ago, TechGod said:

That is the same card I picked up from them! I can't believe that ther 8GB model is a whole 100 dollars more. I had a 2.5K budget and it would have been great to get the higher end model...

Same - I was looking at the 8GB model, but couldn't justify the expense for a 1080p rig. Particularly when the games she's playing at the moment is Portal series, Witcher 3, Skyrim SE, Bioshock Infinite, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Same - I was looking at the 8GB model, but couldn't justify the expense for a 1080p rig. Particularly when the games she's playing at the moment is Portal series, Witcher 3, Skyrim SE, Bioshock Infinite, etc. 

Oh the issue for me is that I got a 1440P monitor. I can send ya the specs of my build over PM if you wanna talk more about it? I just don't wanna derail this thread too much.

17 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

People just don't understand that it is okay to switch brand once for a while. The 1st and 2nd graphics card I  bought was from nvidia. Never complained. The one I am using now is a RX480. Cos I want to give amd a chance. The more you stick to one company, the more they will likely rise their price tags next time they launch a new series of cards. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

16 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Fact of the matter is  that nvidia doesnt have the architecture to stay on top of dx12 down the road. 

And they never planned to. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

my 480 4gb only consumes 100-110 +memory during games, and the max i have seen was 120w, and my strix uses a bit more being in the 110-120w region so its not as bad has it seems. one of the reasons for that is that the first one was made more recently and probably was made with a slightly better process. (both at the same clocks, on overclocking/undercloking 

That should be part of the retest if is not already, good to know.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Looks like a bunch of peeps got triggered by zMeul. Might be a good time to remind the lot why you shouldn't be.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case