Toyota Prius Prime Advanced 2017 Unboxing

Something about this video seemed off to me and I don't necessarily think that its because it was a sponsored video.

I think the reason why this video seemed weird to me was the fact that with the exception of a few scenes like the clashing clothes committee (and even then, it still felt forced), I did not see any of Linus's normal personality. It seemed like someone grabbed a checklist and quickly marked off the best words to describe Linus. This was mainly apparent with the "quirky" attempts at touching the car when he wasn't supposed to or trying to talk about things that he couldn't. There was also this constant reminder that he was an outsider; someone separate from Toyota/Prius. I kept on noticing it every time he did some derivative of "Oh I guess Toyota/The director wont let me do that".

As a whole, It felt a lot more like Linus being told to say something specific, rather than being asked to speak about the features of the car in his own way. It seems like there are two types of sponsored videos on LTT. The type where the company just hands Linus a product and a fact sheet, and asks Linus to talk about it (CES comes to mind), and the type where the Sponsor says how they want their product portrayed and what they want said (Camping with Linus video and Project Backpack). With my examples for the second type they still seemed a little more natural than the Prius video.

I like LTT because I feel like for a majority of their content, they assume that their audience knows a little bit about the subject matter. This video felt more directed to a general audience.

In summary, it felt more like Toyota asked you to come over a do a specific video with set instructions already thought up by them. This is in comparison to being asked to come and tell your audience about things like the pedestrian detection and other features. I watch LTT because of your approach to video production, special segments (Scrapyard Wars), and excellent reviewing of products. This video didn't seem to have much, if any of the LTT personality and because of that, this video didn't hold that much appeal to me.

This is not meant to be hate on LTT. I'm just writing this because I think that viewer feedback is important and helps content creators know what people want from a video.

selling out is whatever but to be honest, youre taking advantage of your viewer's trust here by not providing negatives/criticisms to a product and just saying what they want you to say. VERY MUCH DISLIKE. This wasnt the LTT treatment with linus talking in his own words and tellilng the truth about a product (seriously, does anyone actually like the look of the "cool unique" angles of those rear lights....jesus), this was the "i want more money" treatment.

3 hours ago, Kilobytez95 said:

I didn't like the video. First off Linus isnt a car guy and you can definitely tell second LinusTechTips isnt a car channel. No matter how much tech a car has it's just not something any of us are going to buy.

I care about the tech in a Prius about as much as I care about the tech in a Microwave.

1 minute ago, gonvres said:

I care about the tech in a Prius about as much as I care about the tech in a Microwave.

Ok good for you but I wouldn't say you account for a majority of the LTT viewers. Yes some people may be interested but most of the viewers are here for the computer hardware and stuff not to see car commercials.

Linus, you said people don't know what they want.
And then you gave us this. What the hell, mate?

2 hours ago, TheJogocown said:
selling out is whatever but to be honest, youre taking advantage of your viewer's trust here by not providing negatives/criticisms to a product and just saying what they want you to say. VERY MUCH DISLIKE. This wasnt the LTT treatment with linus talking in his own words and tellilng the truth about a product (seriously, does anyone actually like the look of the "cool unique" angles of those rear lights....jesus), this was the "i want more money" treatment.

To be honest, I don't really expect a whole lot of creative freedom from a sponsored video. Just what the sponsor wants the guy to say.

Why are they putting more whitening make up on Linus, How white can he be?.. oh wait,  there's a Prius on the Background. Yup! Need a whole lot more of dat!

Details separate people.

Feels like a fair amount of forced humor there. I think comparing it to the pink Civic would have done better in that regard, though depending on his knowledge of cars, he may have some homework to do. 

For the record, I am not at all opposed with LTT making additional money on the side, within reason of course. I feel the car ad thing could do with some practice. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

All this hate but no one picked up on the "potato" reference. PC Master Race.

I think we all need to remember that it's only a select few of us that actually pay for content on LTT, without these kinds of large sponsor spots the rest of the content doesn't happen. I think it was seemingly well done, I did like the LG Camping one better, had all the nice warm feels in it. I would've loved to know the specific hardware running the potato though, I bet Linus would've been a little peeved about not being allowed to disclose that.

I'd rather turn that Prius into a pancake.

Hand me a Tundra 1794 Edition with Magnuson supercharger, Magnaflow quad exhaust, K&N cold air intake, Pro Comp suspension kit, 40 inch MT2 tires, 4.88 rear end, 4 inch bull bar, 52 inch light bar, dual Kicker subwoofers, Pioneer component speakers and JVC double DIN head unit.

Never underestimate the fun factor of a proper V8.

54 minutes ago, Luscious said:

I'd rather turn that Prius into a pancake.

Hand me a Tundra 1794 Edition with Magnuson supercharger, Magnaflow quad exhaust, K&N cold air intake, Pro Comp suspension kit, 40 inch MT2 tires, 4.88 rear end, 4 inch bull bar, 52 inch light bar, dual Kicker subwoofers, Pioneer component speakers and JVC double DIN head unit.

Never underestimate the fun factor of a proper V8.

Doing 100KM/h in first, and 40KM/h in idle....in a Commodore that turned out to be ex police vehicle (aka, it was done up as well as a V8 supercar).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I appreciate Toyota trying to stretch itself, and LTT trying alongside them, but the utter lack of Linus being a car-guy just shines through.  Though the best line was probably "I'm a Canadian, what's a cubic foot anyway?".

I think the major problem, though, is that Toyota clearly had their Ad Company doing most of the writing with some modifications from Linus.  So a lot of it seems unnatural compared to the way things are normally written for Linus.

Not sure why Toyota hasn't reached out to RCR for this kinda thing...  That aside, I'm seriously impressed with the Prius Prime, and the new Prius in general.  Sure it's not a manual, but the tech and engineering Toyota has put into this car is amazing.  Toyota has managed through sheer engineering effort to create a gas engine that approaches the thermal efficiency of a diesel.  (Apparently around 40% or so)   Also the many smaller details that cut weight and reduce friction is pretty freaking cool.  

It's delightfully unapologetic about what it is... not unlike the GT-R.  One for efficiency, the other for performance.  Wouldn't mind having both in my garage as testaments to engineering and function over style.  (I know I'm in the minority, but I quite like the styling of the Prime.)

this is the first prius that sounds a sort of a reasonable investment for someone that is looking to replace his pink lambo or something like that.

next up, a tesla review? Linus would nail that one probably.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

It's clear: most of us didn't like the video, and we already stated why. It seems forced, it does not seem natural, like others video, etc etc.
What i didn't like was the lack of information. Linus: you usually stress the things that you have to review, you test them, you put them in a situation that most of us, your followers, are used to (like overclock, or the phone test under sea water), or try the most insane thing to test its full potential (like 7 gamers 1 build). I hope i have explained my thoughts well 'til now.

Honestly, i'd prefer to know when the electric motor works, or at what speed it turns off, or what is its mileage at slow speed, or at high speed, how convenient it is: things i'd look for if i had to choose a car like this.

After telling this: i'm asking you guys, can you tell me why they don't make diesel-electric hybrids? Diesel motors are more efficient, if i want to go for high mileage, i'd go for diesel-electric hybrid, honestly.

Why only 25 miles (40 km)? That's useless for most of us: i'm considering my home-to-university trip: it's just a bit more than 20 miles (33km), 19 (29km) of those are on highway (12miles@75mph - 19km@120kmh,and the other 7miles@45mph - 10km@70kmh) and only 1mile (3km) in urban traffic. If i want to use a solution like this, (i'm assuming it is like the older priuses, in which the electric motor turns off when you go faster, like highways) my batteries would be only something heavy in my car, since i would use them in less than 40% of my way, that would go up to 50% if i consider the way to work (that is closer to where i live). Is it really an upgrade from my old golf mk5, that consume "only" 1.6liters (or 0,42 gallons) of diesel on my way to the university campus? - Please consider that right now there are no charging ports in my university.

In my honest opinion, solutions like this is only smoke in the eye. I prefer looking at a bmw i3 Rex, that is literally full electric, and only a tiny motor to recharge batteries when you are in need, that something like the prius. And guys, i really want to jump on that train: i really wish the next car i'm buying is using an electric motor for most of its needs, and the internal combustion engine is used only when needed. But i cannot afford right now a Mclaren P1 :(

7 hours ago, dbcooper said:

As @thebrian said, a really sad video.. It was just a toyota add featuring linus

That's one way to look at it. But think about it, Toyota gets real celebrities (no offense Linus) to do these sorts of ads all the time. The fact that they got Linus to do it means LMG is moving up in the world. What that means for us, as fans, is more of the stuff we love. The LMG guys are always pushing themselves to get better. Look at where this all started with the NCIX videos, those were rubbish (no offense, again ) compared to the stuff that LMG is putting out.

@nicklmg Please add sponsored to the title of the Video 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

4 minutes ago, mikeeginger said:

@nicklmg Please add sponsored to the title of the Video 

they have never done that before and nor is it required in the title

they have it tagged in the bottom left of the video window

10 hours ago, idmb said:

My only complaint about this video is that I knew nothing much of the Prius before watching it, and still know nearly nothing about it. You touched on some technical topics but there wasn't even enough to make me want to research them, not to mention explaining them outright.  On a channel by you guys for videos like this called your "honest reviews" or whatever, I would like this video. On this channel? Not enough content to justify it as anything more than an ad.  

agreed.

39 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

they have never done that before and nor is it required in the title

they have it tagged in the bottom left of the video window

True but the title could be seen as misleading - As it is sponsored content 

And should be labeled as such 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

so the toyota has some fancy design that makes it as aerodynamic as a...

mercedes E

Mercedes E-Klasse Avantgarde (W211) front 20090923.jpg or a Renault 25TS

Renault25ts.jpg

or tatra 77 

Tatra T 77a.jpg

wait no that one beats the Prius 3 :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

19 hours ago, zMeul said:

does it blend?

If it was made by apple

does it bend?

Good news for those who don't like the Toyota Prius...

Introducing the 2017 Toyota Optimus Prime.  Hybrid monster truck with enough tech to sell a Chevy...

6 hours ago, mikeeginger said:

True but the title could be seen as misleading - As it is sponsored content 

And should be labeled as such 

But it IS labeled according to FCC regulations (at the bottom left at the beginning and then more at the center when Linus questions why Toyota would even bother asking him to do this), plus it doesn't take a genius to know that Toyota played a hand in the making of this video. You seem to think that the viewership of LTT is dumb, which could not be any further from the truth.

That said, video would have been much more entertaining if Linus were actually allowed to be Linus.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus