It's now illegal for businesses in the US to punish customers for negative feedback

Mira Yurizaki
Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

But what if I wanted to tell everyone on every store that carried it?

Why would you want to go through the trouble? You should write the review on the platform you purchased from should you feel compelled to write one. It makes the review sections on other websites less cluttered.

If they filtered out reviews by people who didn't even purchase the product through Amazon by default, I'd be fine with it personally.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Why would you want to go through the trouble? You should write the review on the platform you purchased from should you feel compelled to write one. It makes the review sections on other websites less cluttered.

If they filtered out reviews by people who didn't even purchase the product through Amazon by default, I'd be fine with it personally.

Because I reaaaaaalllllyyyy  want to tell the world how great (or crap) this product is!

You think people think rationally all the time?

This law should not even exist in the first place, if they would actually filter out the real negative criticism and used that to improve their business. Too bad once they see that, butthurt level skyrockets.

Your product sucks, then it sucks.

Law should be named, the toughen up and improve your business, stop being butthurt act

:P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

29 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I wasn't aware that companies could "punish" people for negative reviews in the first place. I've also never heard of this happening before in the US in my entire life.

Unless you signed a contract agreeing to not leave negative feedback then on what basis can a company charge you?

This doesn't really make sense to me...

It's happened quite a few times that the business tied to sue a reviewer because they wrote a negative review.  It's been on the news a couple times and as expected the business got trashed by the general public because of it.

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

somewhere that's super hard for a customer to access that basically says "I can be an asshole to you and ruin your life if you so much as disagree with me"?

Well yeah I agree with getting rid of agreement traps, we should get rid of eula and such in general as well but generally fine print agreements didn't stand up in court anyway, plus you don't want to piss people off to that degree unless you want to end up dead.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

39 minutes ago, aneil1998 said:

Let's hope that this makes other countries do the same.

They already do.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

This law should not even exist in the first place, if they would actually filter out the real negative criticism and used that to improve their business. Too bad once they see that, butthurt level skyrockets.

Your product sucks, then it sucks.

Law should be named, the toughen up and improve your business, stop being butthurt act

:P

To some extent I agree the law shouldn't have to exist. But not for that reason. The reason is because this is the internet. Once you make the news or social media about being an asshole, your business will not survive.

i cliked on "it's now illegal for..." and i expected bullshit.

what i got however is bullshit: HOW WAS THIS EVEN LEGAL IN THE FIRST PLACE?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

Because we hoped people would be decent?

Laws don't magically spring up because someone thought of every use case and every bad practice.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

To some extent I agree the law shouldn't have to exist. But not for that reason. The reason is because this is the internet. Once you make the news or social media about being an asshole, your business will not survive.

Simple, just don't setup social media crap.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Terms of a contract can include anything that isn't explicitly illegal, I can think of scenarios where blocking review is legitimate NDA for example however after reviewing this law it would appear it is specific enough (hopefully) to target only malicious hiding of bad service/products

However the BBB also helped address some of this prior to a federal law

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Due to freedom of speech, I'm not sure how it was illegal before... As long as a customer is telling a truthful story about the service or products a company is selling, it's not slander, and thus falls under free speech, which I thought was a protected right in the US of A.

Obviously, slander or statements about a company you've never had any dealings with are wrong, whether illegal or not, but if you had a bad experience prior to this legal change, I'm not sure how they could justify your opinion as damage to their brand if what you are saying is true.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Because we hoped people would be decent?

Laws don't magically spring up because someone thought of every use case and every bad practice.

the thing is, giving consumers BS fees in general (like for example restaurants randomly also charging a "dishwashing fee" at the end of the evning) is banned here, and i would expect it to be the same over there. there in essence *shouldnt need to be* a law for this, because it should fall under other consumer protection laws anyways.

EDIT: @AresKrieger

Just now, kirashi said:

Due to freedom of speech, I'm not sure how it was illegal before... As long as a customer is telling a truthful story about the service or products a company is selling, it's not slander, and thus falls under free speech, which I thought was a protected right in the US of A.

You are free to relinquish your freedom of speech in a contract if you choose to do so

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the thing is, giving consumers BS fees in general (like for example restaurants randomly also charging a "dishwashing fee" at the end of the evning) is banned here, and i would expect it to be the same over there. there in essence *shouldnt need to be* a law for this, because it should fall under other consumer protection laws anyways.

EDIT: @AresKrieger

The states handle laws like that usually due to the 10th amendment thus it would vary state to state until federal laws to precedent

Spoiler

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. The Tenth Amendment was included in the Bill of Rights to further define the balance of power between the federal government and the states.

12 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

You are free to relinquish your freedom of speech in a contract if you choose to do so

Ah righto - I forgot that somehow business contracts override a Country's laws. /sarcasm off?

Last I checked, federal law > provincial / state law > contract you could otherwise agree to, making such a clause invalid.

If that's not the case in the US of A, then I feel terribly sorry for everyone who lives there, and this change is indeed a good one. :( 

EDIT: Obviously NDA's don't apply here, since that would be leaking company secrets, same as confidential government documents.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

snip

You can agree not to disclose information in an NDA, freedom of speech only applies to laws being made ie the government can't do anything but for example twitter can ban your account, it just means you can't be held criminally liable but civil suits don't need any justification and a contract is a contract

52 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

The bill sounds like it protects ALL reviews. Its truly up to the reader to determine whether it is credible or not.

Woah woah woah!! You mean I have to be RESPONSIBLE for forming my own opinion on what I choose to believe!? I didn't sign up for that!

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Wait, this was a thing in the US? Businesses going after consumers for a bad review? Wow.. no shame at all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Obviously, slander or statements about a company you've never had any dealings with are wrong, whether illegal or not, but if you had a bad experience prior to this legal change, I'm not sure how they could justify your opinion as damage to their brand if what you are saying is true.

Well, a company is free to charge extra if they want to, for whatever reason, notifying it first of course. 

If you leaved a bad review for a product, why bother trying to buy again from the same guy? 

2 minutes ago, JoseGuya said:

Well, a company is free to charge extra if they want to, for whatever reason, notifying it first of course. 

If you leaved a bad review for a product, why bother trying to buy again from the same guy? 

They're free to do that, but is it fair or "right" to do so? Like is it fair for AT&T to claim you have unlimited data, even though they throttle your speed after X amount of GB? Technically you can still get all the data you want since they allow you to download the data. It just takes forever.

And it's not leaving a bad review and coming back, it's leaving a bad review for others to avoid the thing. Companies see that as hurting their business.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

They're free to do that, but is it fair or "right" to do so? Like is it fair for AT&T to claim you have unlimited data, even though they throttle your speed after X amount of GB? Technically you can still get all the data you want since they allow you to download the data. It just takes forever.

And it's not leaving a bad review and coming back, it's leaving a bad review for others to avoid the thing. Companies see that as hurting their business.

No, it is not fair at all. And if AT&T does that, and does not tell you that after a data limit they will throttle your speed, that's lying and you could sue them. 

I don't see how a company could charge you more if you don't come back to buy from them again. 

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Wait, this was a thing in the US? Businesses going after consumers for a bad review? Wow.. no shame at all.

Yah, they would claim defamation and sue for millions claiming it lost them business and then engage in mud slinging at whoever wrote the review. There were a few cases of it happening that I've seen. One was a dental practice, another was a reputation management company (that was funny), and smaller firms here and there.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Oh Yelp is involved that adds a stain to this, but it is referring to contract clauses ok does this damage the power of NDA as a result or is it now a grey area since that could technically be described as "blocking review"

You sign into and NDA though. This new law protects people from retribution for writing negative reviews. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)