A New Window Of Exploitation

Really tired of companies and governments snooping around our shit. Fuck off.

1 hour ago, Secondmineboy said:

Windows 7 and 8.1 received the data mining stuff too recently. Get to Linux, its free

It's easy to get rid of those specific updates. Linux is better due to no need to but W7 and 8.1 are still fine for now.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

28 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

How come I never have these problems? Do people on this forum not know how to PC?

I'm with you on that. Everyone seems to be having issues with Windows 10(like the start menu not working?), yet I and anyone that I personally know, never had any issues with it. It's like, we're either doing something really right, or everyone is doing it wrong somehow.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I'm with you on that. Everyone seems to be having issues with Windows 10(like the start menu not working?), yet I and anyone that I personally know, never had any issues with it. It's like, we're either doing something really right, or everyone is doing it wrong somehow.

Same. Not really sure how people are having problems.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

... aaaaand there's the resident MS shill coming to Microsoft's rescue with nonsensical arguments.

For starters Barna was a senior software dev on the Windows team when he got fired, and the new positions they offered him were in the office team, the Xbox team, the Hololens team, which are much smaller teams with barely any option to climb up the corporate ladder.

He had just set up a new office, had just been promoted and awarded, and all of a sudden they fired his entire division.  You can't blame the guy for realizing that there is no job security at that company anymore and that it doesn't matter how good you are at your job.  Once bitten, twice shy. 

Then there's the fact that he disagrees with the direction the company has taken ever since Ballmer and Satya started to ruin it.  He did say he'd go back in a heartbeat if Gates took the reigns again.  

Furthermore, he did mention that during the MS days he was earning well but barely got to spend any time with his wife and son.  That could also be a contributing factor to his decision to stick to his YT channel. 

"Windows is not forcing unwanted apps", "The default settings change was a mistake", etc etc.  are you really dumb enough to believe that those are all accidents?  It's been one "oopsie" after another for over a year now, and coincidentally those so-called mistakes are always in Microsoft's favor. 

They only get fixed long after MS gets caught and called out for it, never by means of a quick update the day after it gets discovered (which would be perfectly possible, after all they can update your PC how and when they please).

Those are not accidents, that's a consistent pattern of suspicious behavior.  If those were really accidents, they would have taken steps to prevent those accidents from happening, for instance by hiring some testers.

As for Windows not installing random apps and you never having seen or heard it, I assume you haven't watched the above video then.  He "got swamped" with replies when he asked if people had random apps on their PC that they never installed.  Both his twitter feed and the comments on the YT vid show it.  If you really haven't seen or heard about such behavior, you obviously have your eyes closed and your ears covered.

There's a hell of a lot of difference between XP/VIsta and later telemetry.  XP and Vista's telemetry was pretty much limited to error reports, which the user had to give explicit permission for.  It used to be the same for Win7 and the early 8.1, but MS has gone and upgraded that to Win10 levels of telemetry which are either hard or impossible to disable. 

An OS has no business with how often users use which feature, or what they type.  All it needs to do is give a user access to the files on his PC and to run the programs that he wants to run. (and print files, and scan etc, but you get the basic idea).   It has absolutely no valid excuse to tell Microsoft that user 15663486 has been viewing photos with app X for Y amount of time. 

Besides, that kind of info tells nothing about how the user values said app, or what he/she would like to see differently.  If they want to know what apps and features need to be changed, all they need to do is look at their own forums where people willingly provide proper feedback. 

As for viewership on those videos, people wouldn't be watching them if the whole Win10 thing wasn't an issue to begin with.  People are obviously looking for ways to stop Microsoft's malicious behavior and regain control of their own PC.

Not to shitpost or anything, but I wanted to thank you for writing this post. That rabbid always seems to be at the scene anytime something is exposed about M$ and Win10.

c595586b491836bb2135fb603c2f4e5997ce0e2f

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

37 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Windows 10 has bugs that only seem to come out if you don't have hardware from more than 2 years ago. That being said, I've had the Windows Update service disabled since the anniversary update (and it was only enabled in the first place for it), and since I removed Candycrush, Netflix, Skype and Facebook (which were actually installed by default). I've got a 60GB boot SSD, and any space taken up by programs that I don't use and never wanted installed in the first place, is space wasted (I currently have 9.8GB free on it).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just noticed that Candy Crush Saga was on this work PC for some reason, not sure if it comes installed with W10 (which wouldn't surprise me, given it's popularity) or was added after the fact. Will see what happens after I remove it.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Just now, PocketNerd said:

Just noticed that Candy Crush Saga was on this work PC for some reason, not sure if it comes installed with W10 (which wouldn't surprise me, given it's popularity) or was added after the fact. Will see what happens after I remove it.

It used to come as at the very least a suggested app in the start menu. Microsoft would be getting some of the money spent on the micro transactions in it (which is BS, when you can buy the game it was made popular from-bejewelled-which has no micro transactions)

PMSL

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

It comes pre-installs in most regions. Your IT probably forgot to remove it. If you uninstall it, it will remove all traces of it, as it is a Universal App and those are sandboxed, and that is an advantage of this framework.

17 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

people need to support Steam OS

That's only for Steam games right?

And not even all of them I think.  Pretty sure that's what I'd heard.  

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It comes pre-installs in most regions. Your IT probably forgot to remove it. If you uninstall it, it will remove all traces of it, as it is a Universal App and those are sandboxed, and that is an advantage of this framework.

That moment when you ARE the IT...

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

It used to come as at the very least a suggested app in the start menu. Microsoft would be getting some of the money spent on the micro transactions in it (which is BS, when you can buy the game it was made popular from-bejewelled-which has no micro transactions)

Suggested app are based on what you install from the App Stores. Of course, if you never bough anything, it shows you popular stuff.

You can disable suggested app from the Settings panels > Personalize > Start, and turn off "Occasionally show suggested apps", if you want this removed.

This is what I followed to remove the pre-installed apps BTW....

https://www.maketecheasier.com/uninstall-pre-installed-apps-windows-10/

PMSL

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Or maybe you don't notice things getting changed behind your back but others do?

Like what?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

You've never even used Windows 10.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

You've never even used Windows 10.

Why do you think that? I am typing this on a windows 10 PC, through Microsoft Edge in fact. My work computer has been on windows 10 for over a year now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Suggested app are based on what you install from the App Stores. Of course, if you never bough anything, it shows you popular stuff.

You can disable suggested app from the Settings panels > Personalize > Start, and turn off "Occasionally show suggested apps", if you want this removed.

I'd never even used the app store before. I'd only just side-graded from Windows 7 as I wanted to ensure that I had DirectX 12 support and so I could get access to the Windows 10 version of Minecraft (which was important, as my laptop taking the server load of my brother and sisters old 1.3GHz Tegra 3 based tablets made Minecraft smoother for them).

As it was, I'd only ever used my Microsoft account previously for Halo 2 PC, and never on Windows itself. I shouldn't have had any of the apps pre-installed, much less suggested on the start menu. BTW-I don't get suggested apps anymore due to the classic start menu+having the Windows Updates service disabled until I'm ready to do a manual update.

PMSL

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Why do you think that? I am typing this on a windows 10 PC, through Microsoft Edge in fact. My work computer has been on windows 10 for over a year now.

I assumed that based on things you've said in the past. I still don't see how anecdotal evidence applies here. There have been a plethora of issues prior have complained about since win 10 released which I never experienced. The only one I ran into was my GPU drivers updating themselves when i didn't want them to.

As for privacy, I haven't had a perform with them turning off except for one update that turned them all off, and I had to go through the process again. I just did the same thing as before, and not a single problem since then. Something as serious as apps reinstalling themselves would have been experienced by everyone if it was indeed caused by an update and no such thing has happened to me. Maybe @dabombinable is right and it has to do with age of hardware.

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I assumed that based on things you've said in the past. I still don't see how anecdotal evidence applies here.

You haven't experienced any issues. You are 1 person, perhaps you know 10 others on your situation, perhaps even 100, if you work IT maybe even 1000.

Windows 10 has millions of installs your personal experience is basically insignificant. A drop of water in the ocean means nothing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

"Windows 10 doesn't pre-install apps" Oh piss right off, here is what I removed-apps that I never:

• installed
  • wanted
  • opened

That left me with 10GB of free space on the SSD BTW, up from 9.8GB (every single MB of space counts on a 60GB SSD-and this is after already removing FB+Netflix, twitter and skype re-installed themselves after the anniversary update)

Untitled.png

PMSL

This information is shiz. The video is a farse. Barnacle is going down a deep dark hole he cant stop falling in.

I have not witnessed this happening once and I have been using Windows 10 since the release of the previewers versions, way back...

Barnacles is blowing this out his arse...

So sad.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 hours ago, Mike Soda said:

I couldn't tell if this for sure belonged here, in general discussion or tech news & with LTT loading so unusually slowly lately too I had to settle. Anyway, it seems Microsoft is now forcing unwanted apps & potentially bloatware down our throats too. I'm so happy I don't have Windows 10 right now although I probably will on my first build ever early next year so I am very concerned. As if the excessive telemetry data farming wasn't enough, now we've gotta guard ourselves against this.

P.S: Yes I always clear my browser cookies, history, offline data & my 1.5Mbps down connection is normally more than enough for these forums. So it must just be my ISP's connection to Canada or a problem with the forum itself, maybe via Firefox who knows.

This isn't news, and Barnacules is wrong about requiring 3rd party software, just run:

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Removes all of it. Just need to run that after each milestone update (just make a scheduled task to run it on boot if your rarely reboot your system, or whatever floats your boat).

While Barnacules is light years ahead of LTT, every time he says 'trust me, I was a senior developer for Microsoft for 15 years' I can see why MS fired him...

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's only for Steam games right?

And not even all of them I think.  Pretty sure that's what I'd heard.  

yea its getting better. its basically all the games that have been ported to opengl. there should be more when more games use vulkan. Theres a filter on steam to view them all. I think the latest game i have is dying light and mad max

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

...he pushes false ideas of spying and garbage against Windows 10...

I think Barnacules would like to hope that you're right, I mean. Wouldn't we all want an honest company that makes a great OS? I can't & won't try to convince ya that he's right because hell even I don't know for 100%, but look at it this way. If he's wrong & we all shared this video he'd probably make an apology & that'd be it. However if he's right, then by sharing it we all helped accomplish a greater good providing Microsoft fixed it. For the record yeah I'm a fan of his channel but also LTT too, I'd really liked to see them both collab together on this subject.

5 hours ago, Blake said:

This isn't news, and Barnacules is wrong about requiring 3rd party software, just run:

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Removes all of it. Just need to run that after each milestone update (just make a scheduled task to run it on boot if your rarely reboot your system, or whatever floats your boat).

While Barnacules is light years ahead of LTT, every time he says 'trust me, I was a senior developer for Microsoft for 15 years' I can see why MS fired him...

Please tweet that at him then, I would but I don't have a Twitter.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3