Oh crap!

baconbuilder99

there is a guy at my school RIGHT NOW  firing up the low orbit ion cannon application to ddos the network. i told the teacher, but she is looking for some silly razor blade, what should I do?!

Well he is probably just going to get detention or suspended or something. It's not that big of a deal.

Just now, 1Reshiram12 said:

Well he is probably just going to get detention or something lol. 

not where I live lol

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

not where I live lol

I can't tell if that means someone would be expelled for doing that at your school or if no one cares at your school.

Just now, 1Reshiram12 said:

I can't tell if that means someone would be expelled for doing that at your school or if no one cares at your school.

Expelled and fined $3000

The geek himself.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Expelled and fined $3000

A child fined 3000 lol. I mean it would be inconvenient for the school but it's not a multi thousand dollar issue. I'd say pulling the fire alarm is worse because you'd be wasting emergency personnel and kids only get suspended for that.

8 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

A child fined 3000 lol. I mean it would be inconvenient for the school but it's not a multi thousand dollar issue. I'd say pulling the fire alarm is worse because you'd be wasting emergency personnel and kids only get suspended for that.

The parents are charged $3000 not the child....

The geek himself.

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

not where I live lol

Agreed. Here in the US he could face Federal  Prison time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

The parents are charged $3000 not the child....

Well no duh, but usually something that a child does isn't punished with a fine like that.

8 hours ago, baconbuilder99 said:

isn't it a criminal offense to ddos?

Honestly it's never a big deal when ANYBODY fires up LOIC on a lan. It's just an icmp flood, which most networks can handle. The worst that happens is he locks up his computer. (Because it uses 99% CPU by default)

My native language is C++

4 hours ago, tt2468 said:

Honestly it's never a big deal when ANYBODY fires up LOIC on a lan. It's just an icmp flood, which most networks can handle. The worst that happens is he locks up his computer. (Because it uses 99% CPU by default)

Thats not the point. The LAW is the LAW. Technically speaking that tool is designed to do something illegal. by using it, that student is breaking the law and is subject to its penalties. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Thats not the point. The LAW is the LAW. Technically speaking that tool is designed to do something illegal. by using it, that student is breaking the law and is subject to its penalties. 

I understand, but my point  was just telling OP to chill. Hes just some kid with a shitty DOS (Yes, this is a DOS attack. A DDOS attack is distributed, while a DOS attack comes from one origin. DistributedDenialOfService, DenialOfService) script. It can't do any harm to the network. Only his own computer. (Was going to put a sentence here, but realized the admins would delete it/lock the thread lol) So is it really OP's business to report a kid that IS doing an illegal activity, but CAN'T actually do any harm to anything? 

22 hours ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

I can't say for that specific DDOS application, but an actual DDOS can cripple a network. That can potentially cost the school administration a LOT more than $3000 in lost work and in paying overtime for the IT guys.

Is it better then hacking into the network, changing passwords, etc? Sure.

Is it good? No.

Kids gotta learn sometime that breaking the law has consequences.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, tt2468 said:

I understand, but my point  was just telling OP to chill. Hes just some kid with a shitty DOS (Yes, this is a DOS attack. A DDOS attack is distributed, while a DOS attack comes from one origin. DistributedDenialOfService, DenialOfService) script. It can't do any harm to the network. Only his own computer. (Was going to put a sentence here, but realized the admins would delete it/lock the thread lol) So is it really OP's business to report a kid that IS doing an illegal activity, but CAN'T actually do any harm to anything? 

Doesnt matter. The kid in question is using that program to alter how the network functions. While he might not be able to do anything. Its still illegal. Plus schools are government funded. So I feel that the student in question needs to be put in front of a judge and beg for mercy. Too many kids now days dont give a fuck, and with the fact you cant discipline children in a good manner, or the fact parents just dont give a fuck about discipline their child, we have to rely on the court. Im not saying put him in a Federal Institution for the next 10 years, but 500 hours of community service might help him get his head out of his ass. 

Yay ethics...

/s

I'm out. This conversation has become more of a 'it's your opinion' topic than anything, and you can never win against a person with a strong opinion.

Any malicious use of a computer system should be reported, end of discussion. But please report it to the correct authorities first, in this case the school, and under the correct context. It is the responsibility of the system/network owner to decide what action, if any, to take not yours or anyone else's.

• Using Low Orbit Ion Cannon (LOIC) is not illegal.
  • Unauthorized use of LOIC against a computer system or network to cause disruption is illegal, intentional or not.
  • The laws that are potentially being violated and punishment varies from country to country and can, in cases, be very harsh.
  • If any criminal charges are laid against you no matter how small the sentence there are long term consequences, employment opportunities being one of them. This is why it is important not to overreact.

Education and understanding is usually much more effective than punitive action. If someone is interested in something such as this then teach them about it, there is such a thing as harmless(intent) curiosity. Not only will education and understanding of this subject area potentially motivate them and lead them to higher education and employment it will also make it clear that running LOIC on a school computer will literally do nothing interesting therefore preventing any further issues.

If it is felt that this was purely malicious intent then punitive action should be taken, but again not our decision.

On 2016-11-22 at 4:25 PM, baconbuilder99 said:

there is a guy at my school RIGHT NOW  firing up the low orbit ion cannon application to ddos the network. i told the teacher, but she is looking for some silly razor blade, what should I do?!

Are you friends with this kid - or do you know him well? If so, I'd ask him what he's up to. Find out whether he's just curious or is doing the "attack" on purpose.

Furthermore, you ought to let him know about the potential consequences. He can then make a more informed decision.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Plug a patch lead between two sockets, that will stop them and anyone else from being able to take down the network.

16 hours ago, leonfagan71 said:

Plug a patch lead between two sockets, that will stop them and anyone else from being able to take down the network.

Most likely the school uses enterprise grade switches so a loop back wont be enough to take down the network....