Apple's New $300 Picturebook

nicklmg
14 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

I kinda find it funny that expensive brands from cars, watches, perfumes, clothing etc can do it without being shamed for idiotic prices, but apple does it and people do have to jump it.

I must have missed those. What specific books from mentioned "makers" are we talking about?

On topic, I really like the satire of the video. Nicely done.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I must have missed those. What specific books from mentioned "makers" are we talking about?

here are a few non limited edition versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Book-Gunther-Raupp/dp/3832797254

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Time-Rolex-Wristwatches-Unauthorized/dp/0764324373

and if those peasent books arent good enough for you there is always this mondani bookstore

it should be noted that this are only a few quick searches out of my head.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 minute ago, Bsmith said:

here are a few non limited edition versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Book-Gunther-Raupp/dp/3832797254

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Time-Rolex-Wristwatches-Unauthorized/dp/0764324373

and if those peasent books arent good enough for you there is always this mondani bookstore

To be fair the first two cost 60% less than the Apple book which is also non limited iirc? But I'm sure it'll drop to the same price quite fast. 

But that store is wow. Just wow. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, 360Degreez said:

There's Apple's taget audience right there.  It would be nice if Apple included the book for free with the new MacBooks. Just to celebrate it's own greatness with it's followers. Charging your (loyal) customers an absolutely absurd amount of money for what is in fact a fancy product catalog is simply bizarre.

It almost seems if Apple tries to see how far they can go without losing credibility.

Except that Apple isn't releasing the book to toot its own horn or to boast about how great it is. If people think this, it really just shows that they don't understand business in general, and they don't understand Apple. 

That the book chooses to focus on Apple products specifically between the 1998 to 2015 period is very telling. 1998 was the year Apple released the iMac, which incidentally is the first product to benefit from Apple's then-new design-led culture. Contrast this with many other companies, and Apple prior to 1998, where engineers held most of the power, and designers existed chiefly to skin their products after the planning was set in stone. 

This is important because only up till the last few years, the industry's leaders created shitty software wrapped in shitty hardware, and the result was a shitty user experience (and the primary reason why I switched over to a Mac in the first place). Apple has taught the world that design can matter in the mass market, and that outstanding design and integration can drive sales. Look at the major tech companies like Microsoft, Dell, Samsung, Google today. They all value design more today than they did a decade ago, and we are better off for it. 

Apple has done, and is continuing to do many fascinating things, but the ironic thing here is that people are choosing to deny that it is happening. We should be trying to explain Apple's success, not explain it away. That's precisely what the book is for - to let us see Apple's design-led culture as the people within Apple see it. So that we can better study Apple, understand Apple, describe what makes Apple tick and teach it. 

Or you can choose to see it as an attempt to fleece customers with a $300 product catalog. 

Dank meme I rate 8/8 M8

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

7 hours ago, pk-man said:

The L Book.

Part of the L series, a new line of innovative products from Linus Media Group. 

So for this coming holiday season, give your loved ones a L.

Why give them that when you could give them some fire ass Public Enemy Drake album?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 hours ago, 360Degreez said:

There's Apple's taget audience right there.  It would be nice if Apple included the book for free with the new MacBooks. Just to celebrate it's own greatness with it's followers. Charging your (loyal) customers an absolutely absurd amount of money for what is in fact a fancy product catalog is simply bizarre.

It almost seems if Apple tries to see how far they can go without losing credibility.

On topic, I really like the satire of the video. Nicely done.

I get that people here are not probably the target audience for coffee table books, but that price is firmly mid-tier for the segment. Check Taschen or Phaidon. Or the Modernist Cuisine cookbook. Or Gestalten. Or Franco Maria Ricci. Or Lars Müller.

5 hours ago, Bsmith said:

I kinda find it funny that expensive brands from cars, watches, perfumes, clothing etc can do it without being shamed for idiotic prices, but apple does it and people do have to jump it.

2 hours ago, frostburg said:

I get that people here are not probably the target audience for coffee table books, but that price is firmly mid-tier for the segment. Check Taschen or Phaidon. Or the Modernist Cuisine cookbook. Or Gestalten. Or Franco Maria Ricci. Or Lars Müller.

At least 95% of the people on this forum will never get this.  They're mostly kids who haven't even reached puberty, teenagers going through puberty and people barely into their adulthood.

They even ignore the point that the photos in the book by Apple are taken by Andrew Zuckerman.  And I can tell anyone from experience, because I've copied it before, that the style of photography in the book, while it may look simple and easy to do, is not quite easy at all.

While the $200 and $300 price tag may be a bit on the high side, it's not really that much higher than other photo books of similar sizes and using similar paper quality and binding.

Andrew Zuckerman (born 1977) is an American filmmaker and photographer. He is best known for creating hyper-real images set against stark white backgrounds. His subjects have included birds, endangered species of animals, politicians, humanitarians, artists, and entertainers.

Honors/Awards

2003 Art Directors Club, Young Guns

2005 Broadcast Design Award

2006 D&AD Yellow Pencil For Photography

2007 High Falls, Woodstock Film Festival, Best Short Film High Falls, Sundance Film Festival, Official Selection"

$300 is cheap when you consider that there are photo books out there that costs thousands.

Sebastião Salgado's Genesis collectors edition from Taschen costs €3000.  I own a copy of the smaller 50 Euro version of the book and I've also been to the exhibitions.  To appreciate many of the photos by Salgado requires them to be printed in very large sizes, that 50 Euro book is too small for his photos.
https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/02613/facts.sebastio_salgado_genesis.htm

Henri Cartier Bresson and Henri Matisse's Decisive Moment can be as expensive as $9200
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=17672943187&searchurl=sortby%3D1%26tn%3Ddecisive%2Bmoment%26an%3Dcartier-bresson

Robert Frank's Les Américains costs around $75000 with a cheaper edition costing $750.
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=16070769767&searchurl=yrh%3D1958%26x%3D36%26yrl%3D1958%26y%3D12%26bi%3D0%26ds%3D30%26sts%3Dt%26bx%3Doff%26sortby%3D1%26tn%3DLes%2BAm%E9ricains%26an%3DRobert%2BFrank

This book has only about 190 pages, but it costs $160.  Nick Brandt is one of my favorite wildlife photographers.

http://www.nickbrandt.com

https://www.amazon.com/Nick-Brandt-Earth-Shadow-Falls/dp/1938922441/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479392460&sr=8-5&keywords=Nick+brandt

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

This is one of the best videos you've made. At least on the entertainment side of things (can't really compare to the informative ones).

Really nicely done.

Def need more ltt parodies.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

just ADD a "headphone jack" to the "book" and i buy it :D

LMG guys should have spend more time researching the macbook pro 16GB RAM power topic than wasting their time on this crap video