New Ukrainian Sound-Homing Rocket Launcher Appears to Use Raspberry Pi

The Raspberry Pi is known as the "hobby" computer, an affordable way to add computing power to personal projects

Well, a Ukrainian defense company decided that it would be perfect to add the micro PC to a rocket launcher

Digging deeper into the threads—and trying to make sense of Google's Ukrainian to English translation—there are hints that the weapon is meant to take on helicopters or even tanks and is guided by sound. That would make it the world's first sound-homing ground weapon. That might also explain why the Raspberry Pi is in the nose of the weapon, and why it appears to have so little room for a warhead.

landscape-1478714731-433154fff9fb.jpg

Still, there's a reason why sound-homing weapons haven't taken off. Battlefields are noisy, and a weapon that homes in on loud noises would have a difficult time picking out its target. This is a weapon that would be unreliable in a firefight, better used to ambush targets. On the plus side, it would be immune to traditional countermeasures such as anti-infrared flares and anti-radar chaff.

The weapon is still in its conception so it is yet to be known whether it is effective or not

I honestly don't think the technology will ever be put to use given the competition and its nature as an untested and unproven product 

It is quite interesting however to see the micro PCs used in DIY end up on the nose of a weapon that is meant to destroy tanks

Source: Popular Mechanics, Reddit, Peremogi 

How to make a missile only from electronics; Raspberry Pi + Samsung Note 7 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

I just want to live in a cyberpunk universe. Is that too much to ask?

51 minutes ago, DatSpeed said:

I honestly don't think the technology will ever be put to use given the competition and its nature as an untested and unproven product 

It will eventually, how soon though is anyones guess. It could be years, decades, or even a century though I doubt it will be that long.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, DatSpeed said:

The weapon is still in its conception so it is yet to be known whether it is effective or not

It is quite interesting however to see the micro PCs used in DIY end up on the nose of a weapon that is meant to destroy tanks

It is an interesting thing. I don't think it'll only be slightly better than standard, shoulder fired, missiles. In other words: In a battlefield situation it will probably actually hit an enemy vehicle, but good luck with accurately targeting a specific vehicle.

But onto the last point: It's quite common to see military technology make it's way to citizens, why wouldn't the reverse be true? (and, for the record, the homing system in the missile could very well have been designed by a bunch of college kids I know that my uni has atleast one class, for approved students, that deals with advanced weapons systems. It's in the aerospace department).

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, rn8686 said:

How to make a missile only from electronics; Raspberry Pi + Samsung Note 7 

Shhh, Samsung only infringed on Dell''s fragmentation battery patent.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Fuck humanity, they even managed to make a weapon from RPi which is meant to learn children programing and robotics.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

3 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Fuck humanity, they even managed to make a weapon from RPi which is meant to learn children programing and robotics.

Anything can be made a weapon, doesn't matter what it is. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

12 hours ago, Ronda said:

Military grade assault computers should be banned.

There is no reason for civilians to have anything more powerful than an abacus.

Im from the UK, please dont give our government any ideas.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

the raspberry pi devs are probely going to put a public statement saying:

As your heard, the Ukrainian goverment has made a missile with the pi, we didn't design the pi for war, we designed it to help people learn computer programming, not how to make a missile with a pi, we hope others don't go down this path and make weapons out of everyday objects

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

-Want some raspberry? 

-Aww that's cute.

Missile launched, ETA 5 mins

15 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Anything can be made a weapon, doesn't matter what it is. 

Sex is not a weap-- nvm, you're right.

Anyways, if I knew this little thing could've powered a missile, I would've bought it A LONG time ago. I am going to race the Ukraine government on our little experiments. 

Well, anyone who has played with a pi would know how versatile it is. Not surprising to see it here. 

Why spend millions to design another micro processor when you can use the pi for prototyping.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

7 hours ago, Jed M said:

Sex is not a weap-- nvm, you're right.

Anyways, if I knew this little thing could've powered a missile, I would've bought it A LONG time ago. I am going to race the Ukraine government on our little experiments. 

They have been used as guidance systems for amateur rocketry and drones since there conception, honestly I am suprised it has taken this long for someone to utilise this commercially.

The only unexpected part is that it is a country as advanced as Ukraine.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Sound seeking weapons are not that new (torpedoes) the problem will be to isolate specific sounds (like a tank's engine) without following other groups of sounds that combined can sound remarkably similar. Not likely to be implemented IMHO.

Not to mention that as soon as we get hybrid or electric tanks, the missile is useless.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

On 11/13/2016 at 10:34 AM, Ronda said:

Military grade assault computers should be banned.

There is no reason for civilians to have anything more powerful than an abacus.

Is my Phenom II X6 an assault CPU?  It has more than five cores.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

44 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Is my Phenom II X6 an assault CPU?

If not by itself, then definitely when paired with that 16GB extended memory clip. Such CPUs should be limited to only using their cache.