Linus favors Nvidia over AMD?

panosk82

It has come to my attention that linus favors nvidia over amd for the past 1.5 year.Before that time i think linus was more objective.i can listen to your opinions.

no

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

His personal preference is irrelevant, Linus tells it like it is. He may like the green team but if a red team card is faster he will tell the truth.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Let's just not start this topic.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

i dont care as long as he gives benchmark results then that is what matters.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

@LinusTech Would you like to give some insight on this?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

@LinusTech Would you like to give some insight on this?

Personally, I don't think he needs to. Unless the OP can give examples showing this, I don't see a reason to believe him. :| Because I haven't seen anything to indicate it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Linus doesn't side with any. Goes simply on the results/performance and says it how it is. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

how many friggen times does Linus have to repeat himself over and over again

people stop ......

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

the first sign was the 7970 benchmark did not include geforce 680.

In other news: I prefer Sprite to 7UP.

More at 11.

Seriously though, why do we care about Linus' personal preference of products, it has NOTHING to do with what he reviews and benchmarks.

On a personal level both Linus & Slick prefer Nvidia, but they remain very fair in their testing & do not let their personal opinions affect their objectivity.
I asked Linus about the last AMD/ATI card he used in his personal system, this is when he received the Nvidia sponsorship, & he told me that it was the 9700 Pro some 10-11 years ago.

Linus is the most unbiased and objective reviewer I've ever seen along with Logan and Wendell from Tek Syndicate.

He's putting in a Titan in his current build.

Linus is a person who likes quiet and energy efficiency over power and heat. Which is basically Nvidia over AMD.  

Regardless of where his personal motives lie, on a professional level, they're both great companies. 

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

the last sign was the r290x review.

1080p benches - ok

1600p benches- star citizen hangar(this isnt a game yet)

1400p benches-ok

I think that the power of this card is in extreme high resolutions and linus didnt show that..

Does it matter?  The man can have his preference.  He gloried AMD's price to performance ratio in many of his videos so I have no doubts that he is objective.

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

1080p benches - ok

1400p benches-ok

I think that the power of this card is in extreme high resolutions and linus didnt show that..

He didn't have a monitor to show that...

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

1080p benches - ok

1400p benches-ok

First he doesn't have a 4k monitor, second the bench marks at 4k are pointless because of the low use rate of 4K pared with the extremely low frame rates, third his results are inline with other reviewers (see Tiny Tom Logan among others). Having an obvious bias/taking money/etc would essentially kill his business as his reviews would be worthless causing his viewers to leave thus putting him out of business. So, is Linus showing a bias? NO. If you don't want to believe what the reviewers are saying (linus, tom logan, tech sindicate, etc) thats fine, however you do nothing but show your own bias. If you have proof show it, if not then please don't troll.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

It has come to my attention that linus favors nvidia over amd for the past 1.5 year.Before that time i think linus was more objective.i can listen to your opinions.

I know that he has a water cooled 590 in his personal rig. But I didn't realize he was specifically a Nvidia fanboy?

the first sign was the 7970 benchmark did not include geforce 680.

Was that not because the 680 was out of its price range?

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

The moment when he specifically overclocked the cards and didn't show the base clock.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

The moment when he specifically overclocked the cards and didn't show the base clock.

He has always overclocked all his cards used in benchmarking because, as he mentions, overclocking is easy, safe, and something that people should do if they are buying a high end graphics card. The overclocks he achieves are in a link in the video notes.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

He may prefer Nvidia over AMD, but it doesn't affect his reviews at all. He's fair always.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmLKAgEko3SAdHFtby1jNTFvaTF2UHhaMzdMQ0FNM2c&usp=sharing#gid=0

You can find it in his video card overview video descriptions. If you want the base clock look up the card. Most are reference unless stated otherwise it seems

Edit: After actually looking at the document it gives you both the stock values and the overclocked values. You don't even have to go anywhere else, its all right there.

i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | ASUS STRIX 970 | MSI Z77A-G43 | 16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600Mhz | 128GB/256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2x 240GB Intel 335 Series | 1TB WD Black | Corsair 650TX | CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced (Ghost White) | Win 10 Pro