Linus favors Nvidia over AMD?

panosk82

You don't need a monitor to do it, using MSAA 2x or 4x is exactly the same as doubling or quadrupling your resolution, even if it is then shrunk down to the monitor's native res. (Well, not exactly the same, as MSAA does not touch shadow, texture and SSAO resolutions)

That aside, Linus can be a bit of a fanboy at times, and is irrational about at least one brand (Noctua) - he made an off-comment on a live stream once and said "We should do an ULTIMATE!!11 quiet build using all Noctuas" - was immediately called out on how BeQuiet! are better for that and he completely shut down with the most arrogant tone ever: "No!" even if BeQuiet! fans are decisively quieter than Noctua fans.

Linus is not perfect, nobody is, but I trust his GPU related stuff as he hasn't ever messed anything up before on that (as with most) front(s)

I asked about that on the livestream, Linus said they aren't equivalent, as you pointed out, they don't upscale everything. So it's not the same. 

I think an ultimate quiet build isn't just a build that is absolutely quiet, it is a balanced build that has performance while also being really really quiet, which Noctua is better for. BeQuiet may be quieter, but I doubt it performs as well as Noctua's fans while still being that quiet.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I asked about that on the livestream, Linus said they aren't equivalent, as you pointed out, they don't upscale everything. So it's not the same. 

I think an ultimate quiet build isn't just a build that is absolutely quiet, it is a balanced build that has performance while also being really really quiet, which Noctua is better for. BeQuiet may be quieter, but I doubt it performs as well as Noctua's fans while still being that quiet.

An ultimate silent build for me is the most silent build. I mean... That's.... Logic. But I can see how it might have been a disconnect in his intended purpose at the time. But still, if you find that live stream, the super arrogant and almost visibly angry tone he took to it was pretty distasteful, and if he really meant it was for "balanced" purpouses at the time and not "the most quiet", he should have clarified that on the spot rather than get uppity. But that's my perception of that incident. But I digress.

As for the MSAA thing, it's not perfect, but if it's the only approximation you have available you should go for it to get a sense of the scaling.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1600p benches- star citizen hangar(this isnt a game yet)

I think the LTT viewership understands that it's unoptimized and will change. So it's worth including simply as an interesting titbit...

Well its been pretty obvious in some videos that he has been getting paid off by nVidia to say their cards are good.

Well please sir... would you present your case on how it's "obvious"?

Intel 3930K @ 4,4ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair Dominator GT 16gb | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Asus Xonar Xense | Corsair HX 1050 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force 3 120gb | Western Digital 2tb Black |

For myself, I've been a gamer for years now, and have been running pretty good systems over the years......I'd prefer to configure a game myself based on what engine is used for the game. I do not need a program to dumb down everything (which is basically what the GF Experience does) and I work my way up from there. I wonder how many people play games based on what the GF Experience set, when their system/card is capable of more or higher ingame setting. I also wonder if these people know what the program does in the first place....

Like I said I use it as a starting point so I just have to fine tune the way I explained before (in game not geforce experience). Geforce experience is also great for those who don want to mess with the settings and would have previously not touched them (ever met anyone like that?). From what ive seen it does a decent job at getting the settings relatively good actually their just not tuned the way I like them.

People seem to forget when they have a go at geforce experience that it doesnt just give you the best fps, it also comprimises that a little to give you a balance of quality/performance. It wouldnt give you no aa and

Low settings at 120fps it would work out smooth gameplay and good graphics for your system.

Clever i think, i dont use it because i enjoy tweaking settings but i have to admit when i have tried it for shits and gigs it more or less gave me exactly the same settings which i thought was fairly impressive.

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

• 1 month later...

I picked up a 3870 the last time I tried to downsize my rig and go SFF. It was my primary gaming machine for a while in a Silverstone SG01 and the reason I went for that card was it was a very economical card to liquid cool due to the integrated copper cooler that covered the RAM and (iirc) VRM.

I shortly bailed on the whole thing and went back to a full size tower with GTX 260 SLI.

I buy/use/recommend whatever I think will work best. I'm not always right, but if I didn't have an opinion at all then there wouldn't be much point listening to anything I say anyway.

*yawn*

sorry Linus, but buying 1 or two very old AMD cards does not make you not an NVidia preferer (i don't want to say fanboy).. neither does your wife's graphics card. I personally have an NVidia card in my rig, but there's something about you that kinda makes me feel all people in the Linusmediagroup seems to prefer NVidia cards over AMD cards, you seem more excited towards reviewing Nvidia stuffs rather than AMD products. Sorry Linus, although i personally have an NVidia card, but i think you like NVidia more than amd, watching your video reviews,  you seem more excited with your NVidia stuffs. did they pay you more? or do you just prefer NVidia because you think the technology is more exciting? If you like technology, don't prefer one brand more than the other, love them all, they have plus and minus, but does not mean you should prefer one to the other. that's just my opinion, some people might agree, some people might not, you might have your own opinion, it should be clear that im not judging you by this reply, i love your videos and i will always support them...

*yawn* *yawn* *yawn*

sorry, im kinda sleepy, haven't had my coffee... *yawn*

Necromancy.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

It has come to my attention that linus favors nvidia over amd for the past 1.5 year.Before that time i think linus was more objective.i can listen to your opinions.

Nvidia has been doing better than AMD recently.  Linus consistently applauds the cards like the 7770 for being the best, price to performance, for the standard gamer price

point.  Linus and Slick report their numbers, they also tend to favor the HIGHEST end products, and Nvidia holds that crown right now with the 780ti.  Linus is also a fan of efficiency and low noise, something Nvidia has typically been better at.

Guys, leave Linus alone.  He is NOT an nvidia fanboy !!!!!!!  He does NOT favor nvidia.  He is perfectly neutral, except when it comes to gsync... which only nvidia can tap into.  But that has nothing to do with nvidia, it just happens that ONLY nvidia will be going in his personal rigs for gaming.

There are reasons for this.

(written dramatization)

To Linus, the performance boost of mantle is irrelevant, you have to think of his hardware circumstances as that of some mutant alien.  He gets the highest end cpus and gpus drop shipped on his head weekly if not daily.   Who cares about some 20% mantle boost when you are probably already fielding a triple/quad sli setup with the latest i7 or even some insane Xeon cpu.  He is NOT fps capped, he is NOT constrained in that way AT ALL.  That is the concern of mortals who buy tech with finite resources, he get's to play around with this stuff as a part of the job.

In the latest talk about gsync with anand, he talked about his rarefied concerns over input lag with left 4 dead.  Many people are much more affected by not having enough raw gpu performance because of using lower end gpus, so they want more raw speed.  But that is not Linus, he is beyond the concerns of raw performance, and so the "bottleneck" shifts to more caviar like problems like input lag.

Remember when Mugatu went off on his servant for bringing him a foamy latte?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ-8IuUkJJc

Input lag, is Linus foamy latte, and gsync solves the foamy latte issue.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...