New info released on the Calyos fanless PCs

*sniffs* My last fanless desktop was from the 90's.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

image.jpeg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I love the ideia of a fanless design waiting till CES next year to see the new cases maybe i will make my server in one of them, that woud be cool.

On November 15, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Enderman said:

NEW INFORMATION!

So they just showed their "medium" workstation PC, which is 1 step below the one linus reviewed.

This time it looks like a non-lian-li case used. Looking forward to seeing it at CES!

So are these options like this medium thing just for a case and the cooling setup?

The 400W means beyeeen the CPU and GPU it can handle ones that use up to that wattage of power consumption?

Is this just different (for silence) or in any way worse/better than a standard air cooling setup for system cooling?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So are these options like this medium thing just for a case and the cooling setup?

The 400W means beyeeen the CPU and GPU it can handle ones that use up to that wattage of power consumption?

Is this just different (for silence) or in any way worse/better than a standard air cooling setup for system cooling?

The 400W is cooling power, so you would expect the PC you put in there to be less powerful, so yeah more or less 400W or below for good temps.

The cooling is worse than liquid cooling but about the same as decent air cooling.

The point of this expensive cooling setup is just for silence :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

The 400W is cooling power, so you would expect the PC you put in there to be less powerful, so yeah more or less 400W or below for good temps.

The cooling is worse than liquid cooling but about the same as decent air cooling.

But when you get a component that has loud AF coil whine.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

True.

Hopefully soon our components can start pushing higher frequencies so that they also become electrically inaudible.

This problem is mostly because GPUs run around 1-2KHz which is some of the most audible frequencies to humans.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Is 400W of cooling enough for something like a 6700K and a GTX 1070?

I think I might find the cost a bit high but I have to say having a near silent PC would be pretty cool.

I'm confused about the rear IO ports.    Is there a reason why the ports on the motherboard and GPU wouldn't be accessible?

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is 400W of cooling enough for something like a 6700K and a GTX 1070?

I think I might find the cost a bit high but I have to say having a near silent PC would be pretty cool.

I'm confused about the rear IO ports.    Is there a reason why the ports on the motherboard and GPU wouldn't be accessible?

Yes 400W is definitely enough for that.

The ports on the motherboard are facing down due to the motherboard orientation, so there are extensions going to the side to make stuff easier to plug in.

Spoiler

Yes 400W is definitely enough for that.

The ports on the motherboard are facing down due to the motherboard orientation, so there are extensions going to the side to make stuff easier to plug in.

Why can't they just have the motherboard turned the normal way?  I'm confused.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why can't they just have the motherboard turned the normal way?  I'm confused.

Because of the location the GPU needs to be close to the PCIe slots for the extension to reach.

Also the GPU is placed beside instead of below so that the CPU gets better cooling because heat rises.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Because of the location the GPU needs to be close to the PCIe slots for the extension to reach.

Also the GPU is placed beside instead of below so that the CPU gets better cooling because heat rises.

Ok.

Any idea when these might be available?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ok.

Any idea when these might be available?

Some time 2017 probably.

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

17 hours ago, Enderman said:

True.

Hopefully soon our components can start pushing higher frequencies so that they also become electrically inaudible.

This problem is mostly because GPUs run around 1-2KHz which is some of the most audible frequencies to humans.

Mineral oil is really good in dumping the coil whine below the hearing threshold....

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

3 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Mineral oil is really good in dumping the coil whine below the hearing threshold....

Mineral oil is also one of the most inconvenient ways of cooling a PC...

Linus' method of sticking the PC in a separate room is far better.

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Mineral oil is also one of the most inconvenient ways of cooling a PC...

Linus' method of sticking the PC in a separate room is far better.

If you have a spare one. I don't like to put my PC into the bathroom or the kitchen.

And yes is it is a bit inconvinient.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

MORE INFO RELEASED BEFORE CES!

bandicam 2016-12-16 05-17-20-126.png

bandicam 2016-12-16 05-17-32-530.png

bandicam 2016-12-16 05-17-58-097.png

As you can see, they will be selling the cooling kit only for the thermaltake case, great for people who want to DIY.

Although I'm not a big fan of thermaltake, at least it seems like lately they've stopped copying all other companies and their products.

I wonder how many people will buy the cooling kit and mod it into a different case :)

Spoiler

On 11/7/2016 at 7:06 PM, Enderman said:

For a good quality loop with a CPU+GPU block it's at least $500.

And by good quality I don't mean cheaping out and buying a DDC pump, cheaper EK fittings, etc..

I did my loop for 300 dollars by using barrow for everything except the blocks and pump. And "cheaper" fittings aren't actually any worse. DDC pumps are just as expensive as D5, by the way.

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

I did my loop for 300 dollars by using barrow for everything except the blocks and pump. And "cheaper" fittings aren't actually any worse. DDC pumps are just as expensive as D5, by the way.

Cheaper fittings ARE worse.

Go look at all the people who have their watercooling loop leak after a few months or years due to cheaping out on fittings.

Personally I think it's a better idea to spend an extra $100 on good fittings rather than $3000 to replace your dead components, but maybe you have a different opinion.

And yes, the DDC is cheaper than the D5, go look at the prices.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Cheaper fittings ARE worse.

Go look at all the people who have their watercooling loop leak after a few months or years due to cheaping out on fittings.

Personally I think it's a better idea to spend an extra $100 on good fittings rather than $3000 to replace your dead components, but maybe you have a different opinion.

And yes, the DDC is cheaper than the D5, go look at the prices.

I stand corrected on the DDC, last i checked they both were at around 100 dollars, with the DDC coming in maybe ~10% cheaper.

As for fittings, no, it doesn't make a difference. I've never seen someone have a leak because they cheaped out on fittings, unless you're talking barbs with clamps. And they typically only leak due to some sort of negligence.

Barrow offers fittings significantly cheaper than the overpriced competition (looking at you bitspower) and the quality is debatably identical. Some say better some say worse, but they're fittings. Quality doesn't differ too much between brands, not counting finish (alphacool still doesn't get black right).

It seems kind of large. I like the idea, but I want something smaller.

8 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

I stand corrected on the DDC, last i checked they both were at around 100 dollars, with the DDC coming in maybe ~10% cheaper.

As for fittings, no, it doesn't make a difference. I've never seen someone have a leak because they cheaped out on fittings, unless you're talking barbs with clamps. And they typically only leak due to some sort of negligence.

Barrow offers fittings significantly cheaper than the overpriced competition (looking at you bitspower) and the quality is debatably identical. Some say better some say worse, but they're fittings. Quality doesn't differ too much between brands, not counting finish (alphacool still doesn't get black right).

You must not have been around building PCs very long if you have never seen fittings leak...

The quality is not the same, and bitspower fittings are simply the most reliable and highest quality.

They are NOT the same as barrow, which is a cheap chinese clone.

Here's a good example of a crappy EK fitting that leaked (I never recommend these to anyone):

You can find HUNDREDS of other posts on google of people who have cheap fittings that leak.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

It seems kind of large. I like the idea, but I want something smaller.

Same, I'm waiting to see pics of the small case they teased :)

Spoiler

You must not have been around building PCs very long if you have never seen fittings leak...

The quality is not the same, and bitspower fittings are simply the most reliable and highest quality.

They are NOT the same as barrow, which is a cheap chinese clone.

You can find HUNDREDS of other posts on google of people who have cheap fittings that leak.

I didn't say i've never seen fitting leak, you should try this thing called reading comprehension.

The quality is the same. If you think bitspower is expensive because it's actually better/has any different construction, you've obviously just got some sort of prejudice against things from china.

Show me some of these hundreds of post where low cost fittings have leaked and maybe i'll believe you.

21 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

I didn't say i've never seen fitting leak, you should try this thing called reading comprehension.

The quality is the same. If you think bitspower is expensive because it's actually better/has any different construction, you've obviously just got some sort of prejudice against things from china.

Show me some of these hundreds of post where low cost fittings have leaked and maybe i'll believe me.

There are difference between fittings usually not in material or design but more so in manufacturing where some may have much stricter tolerances and control over what is acceptable.  That can help ensure it's longevity but of course given enough volume and time there will always be a few that slip by and fail over time.