AMD Radeon R9 290X Launch

thelude

That's nice- the 290x price.

But the 290 is too close to it. And this would leave a $200 gap between the 280 and 290.

Which is too much of a gap? How do they fill it? Rebranded and overclocked 7950?

(edit- obviously the 7950 won't work, just noticed my error).

But the 290 is too close to it. And this would leave a $200 gap between the 280 and 290.

Which is too much of a gap? How do they fill it? Rebranded and overclocked 7950?

770 vs 780 and Titan anyone? :P

After taxes i'm assuming $600? Great price.

I was thinking about something like a 7970 XT, of course they won't call it like that, but it would have Hawaii LE core, the same pattern as with 7790 and 7870 XT. Price would be $350-400.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Damn, that's some pretty competitive pricing. Way to go, AMD! 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I was thinking about something like a 7970 XT, of course they won't call it like that, but it would have Hawaii LE core, the same pattern as with 7790 and 7870 XT. Price would be $350-400.

Their naming scheme does give some leeway for an R9-285 to plug the gap if they desire in due time, although that gap [7970/680 to 780] might not be worth filling @ that price point considering the 280X is already incredibly good value :P

Nvidia will have to do big price cuts if these turn out to be the real prices.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

If these are real, Nvidia is gonna have a bad time. A STRONG AMD WILL RETURN.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

i dont understand the tax thing
i dont live in the usa and im going to buy it from there and ship it to my country/
will that have any effect on taxes?

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

i dont live in the usa and im going to buy it from there and ship it to my country/

most likely. if your country has any import duties, then yes.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Shots fired!

Maybe in the states but here thinks are looking grave :/ I really hope the price listed above is only a placeholder, but it seems so low to be one, usually they're 999.90 or sth

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

This is a lot more reasonable than the other rumor that it was over 700.

If you mean in the UK, EU, or AU, then I understand.

If you mean in the US/NA, that was the BF4+Premium bundle. :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

R9-290x $549 Pre tax, so it will be between [$600-$650] after taxes.

If is true, Nvidia is going to have a bad time.

No tax if u order from newegg or tiger direct :D

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

No tax if u order from newegg or tiger direct :D

Correct on the newegg, but as far as Tiger Direct goes, it depends on the State. My state of NC, I have to pay sales tax through Tiger Direct. From their shopping cart "We only charge tax in FL, IL, NC, TX, GA, SD and ID".

As for pricing, I'll wait and see what the true prices are.

So if you go to cyberpower pc, you can add these video cards to your build preorder style. The R9 290x is $41 more than the GTX 780, and the R9 290 option is about $185 cheaper, So its looking like $699 and $499 respectively. 

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

OK I take back my statement about the 290X being between the GTX 780 and Titan not really that good. If it will cost 550 before tax (the 680 costs 650 before tax, right?) then I am really impressed. Way to go AMD. I really hope this is correct but as the fudzilla article says "However, there’s a caveat – our sources claim that AMD has not sent out the official price just yet, so even a day before launch it could still change.".

You might have to pay twice the tax if you do that. First the tax in the US (maybe, depends on the retailer I think) and then you have to pay VAT when you bring it into your own country. So let's say you live in Sweden and you order it from the US. First you might need to pay ~10% sales tax in the US, then when the product arrives in Sweden you will need to pay 25% VAT when you go get the package. 550 + 10% + 25% = 756 USD = not worth it.

So if you go to cyberpower pc, you can add these video cards to your build preorder style. The R9 290x is $41 more than the GTX 780, and the R9 290 option is about $185 cheaper, So its looking like $699 and $499 respectively. 

I really hope that's not accurate prices. If it's 700 dollars then the 290X is pretty bad, pretty much the same price:performance we have had for several months. If it's 550 dollars then it's fantastic.

NDA lifts in 4 hours right? suppose we will know everything by then

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I think AMD decided to lower the price from the aforementioned $729 (which was leaked from Newegg) to this new, lower price, based on reaction from the internet. 

I mean, think about it, the way this launch has been set up, they had a perfect opportunity to do this. Brilliant marketing strategy honestly. Throw out the price they wanted (for big margins) as a "rumor", see reaction, then decide the final price based on that.

They may have lost some margin on each card, but hey, more will sell this way, and they will look like the good guys.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.