AMD Radeon R9 290X Launch

thelude

I think AMD decided to lower the price from the aforementioned $729 (which was leaked from Newegg) to this new, lower price, based on reaction from the internet. 

I mean, think about it, the way this launch has been set up, they had a perfect opportunity to do this. Brilliant marketing strategy honestly. Throw out the price they wanted (for big margins) as a "rumor", see reaction, then decide the final price based on that.

They may have lost some margin on each card, but hey, more will sell this way, and they will look like the good guys.

The only thing thats as good as profit margin is market share

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

NDA lifts in 4 hours right? suppose we will know everything by then

it lifts at about 2:01pm Brisbane time, so that would be god know what in WA.

One of the kids on the FIRST Robotics Competition had to do a project on economics. They had to "invest" in companies. He took Nvidia as one of his stocks. I said to him "You should have invested in AMD, not Nvidia,". Guess I was right, maybe.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

780 ti vs titan.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

it lifts at about 2:01pm Brisbane time, so that would be god know what in WA.

43 minutes from this posting will be 12:01AM UTC -4 on October 24th.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Uh, isn't it 12am EST? So in 2 hours or so?

You mean 1 hour and 25 minutes from this post

Uh, isn't it 12am EST? So in 2 hours or so?

AMD-R9-290-series-launch-dates.jpg

EDT. Not EST. EDT is 1 more hour over. 12AM EDT (UTC -4) is 10PM CST (UTC -6) which is where I live. And that is 33 minutes away.

You mean 1 hour and 25 minutes from this post

Nope. That's not what I mean at all.

timezone.gif

Q is EDT (UTC -4). S is CST (UTC -6) (where I live).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

AMD-R9-290-series-launch-dates.jpg

EDT. Not EST. EDT is 1 more hour over. 12AM EDT (UTC -4) is 10PM CST (UTC -6) which is where I live. And that is 33 minutes away.

Nope. That's not what I mean at all.

Its only 2:32 am  UTC so if we are waiting for -04:00 UTC that is 1 hour and 25 minutes

Its only 2:32 am  UTC so if we are waiting for -04:00 UTC that is 1 hour and 25 minutes

*sigh*, you are right. 

I hate daylight savings time. It confuses me a lot.

EDT is different depending on if Daily Savings Time is being used currently or not.

† Christian Member †

*sigh*, you are right. 

I hate daylight savings time. It confuses me a lot.

EDT is different depending on if Daily Savings Time is being used currently or not.

Don't worry, for a second I got confused too. Time zones are tricky

If these prices are real Nvidia is probably terrified right now.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

If these prices are real Nvidia is probably terrified right now.

i have a feeling they already knew what the final price would be, big companies have espionage on everything. I think thats why the gtx 780 is being brought down to 550ish, and the 780 Ti will be at 650. But the Ti has to bring a fair bit more performance for the extra cost, doubtful but ya never know.

i have a feeling they already knew what the final price would be, big companies have espionage on everything. I think thats why the gtx 780 is being brought down to 550ish, and the 780 Ti will be at 650. But the Ti has to bring a fair bit more performance for the extra cost, doubtful but ya never know.

Thanks to @2Supra4U for letting us know about the price

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/68450-290x-wbf4-59999-on-newegg/

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121819

post-22983-0-07923900-1382586241_thumb.p

Weird, the 290 from MSI is showing $9999!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127758

4XYQy.jpg

Guys, just wait until the official pricing is unveiled! If it's $599 w/BF4, then I bet it's $500-$550 without! Very excited!

As expected the first reviews of the radeon r9 290x came at Midnight.

http://www.techspot.com/review/727-radeon-r9-290x/page11.html

What's particularly impressive about this comparison is the R9 290X's shockingly low price of $550. That's 15% cheaper than the GTX 780 despite being 10% faster, in addition to costing 45% less than the GTX Titan.

The card is released at $550 as expected, it basically delivers performance 10% better then the 780 for $100 less

However with the 780 ti expected to release soon, for $649, nvidia better make this card perform better then the titan or else they will be undercut price wise.

To be honest I was actually hoping for them to release this card at $499, but this is still way lower then the $729 that was on newegg a week ago

http://youtu.be/ZBNJIMihePg

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1865/pg1/amd-radeon-r9-290x-graphics-card-review-introduction.html :o

It's finally launching! Nice prices too. NVidia is screwed.

Here is a better site: http://www.techspot.com/review/727-radeon-r9-290x/page9.html

From first link:

The models released up to this point have primarily been tweaked versions of existing GPUs however today we get to see something new from AMD, their R9 290X which is based on the Hawaii chip, priced at $549/£449 and takes on the Geforce GTX 780.

From second link:

What's particularly impressive about this comparison is the R9 290X's shockingly low price of $550. That's 15% cheaper than the GTX 780 despite being 10% faster, in addition to costing 45% less than the GTX Titan.

In case that didn't click: you're basically getting Titan-level performance for nearly half off.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I hope  that these prices are true. For the performance you get that is really cheap. Nvidia needs to step up their game now.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Found this review also about Crossfire R9 290X: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X_CrossFire/

EDIT: Video 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Techpowerup also has a review up. Score of 9.3, Editor's Choice Award.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB