Microsoft will pay you $650 to ditch your MacBook for a Surface

If Apple's MacBook updates on Thursday aren't good enough for you, Microsoft has an alternative.

The Windows maker will offer up to $650 for anyone in the US who "trades up" a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air for a Surface Book or a Surface Pro at a Microsoft Store or Microsoft.com starting Thursday, Brian Hall, corporate vice president of marketing for Microsoft devices, said in an interview.

The offer comes as Microsoft unveiled new devices and software at an event in New York. One of its announcements was a battery life boost and graphics bump in its high-end Surface Book i7.

Apple declined to comment Wednesday. It will host an event Thursday where it's expected to introduce redesigned MacBook Pros, the first major updates to the high-end laptops in over four years. The new MacBook Pros will reportedly have an OLED touchscreen in place of function keys, can be unlocked with Touch ID and feature Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports.

One thing the new MacBooks are not expected to have are touchscreens. Microsoft and Windows PC makers popularized the screens in computers and hybrid devices that convert between tablets and laptops. But Apple has resisted putting touchscreens in its computers, saying they don't make sense. Microsoft says lack of touchscreens hurts customers.

"At this point, they're really doing customers a disservice to not to have an option for touch on a MacBook," Hall said Wednesday. "We're going to announce tomorrow a trade-in program so that people who feel disappointed by the Mac not going all the way to touch screen can trade in" their Apple computers for Surface.

Microsoft has offered its Mac trade-in programs before. It didn't say how successful they have been in the past.

Article from CNET: https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-will-pay-you-650-to-ditch-your-macbook-for-a-surface-apple-pro-surface-book/

Original Post from Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/Surface-Trade-In/categoryID.69758400?tduid=(08adb61514ef228bafdb9541d1b81be4)(256380)(2459594)(hL3Qp0zRBOc-BdySPEFwP0ZmialwbBpAZA)()

This is probably a good deal. I just got the budget to buy a MacBook Pro 13" and Apple decided to screw its customers by replacing the MagSafe charging port and the type A ports with three USB C ports. They've also eliminated the SDXC card slot so yay for more proprietary adapters. But then I prefer Final Cut Pro X than Adobe Premiere. I prefer the free iWork than paying $100 every year for Office 365. Apple's Time Machine is miles ahead than Windows 10's File History and Macs are free from OEM crapware. ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I'd take the offer if it was to get a Dell Inspiron 15 7559

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

24 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

But then I prefer Final Cut Pro X than Adobe Premiere. I prefer the free iWork than paying $100 every year for Office 365. Apple's Time Machine is miles ahead than Windows 10's File History and Macs are free from OEM crapware. ?

just use google docs or some free alternative, you can get alternatives to windows 10's file history,(I use syncback free) and OEM crapware is easy to remove and is not found in similarly priced laptops to the macbook pro. In the case of premiere, well that sucks but it seems that premiere is the only decent choice out of anything in the market, and besides it's the industry standard so if you pursue a career in video related stuff, your expertise in premiere would come in handy

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

16 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

I'd take the offer if it was to get a Dell Inspiron 15 7559

yeah surface hardware is nearly as expensive as apple hardware, so getting a dell would be much better, or better yet, a razer blade

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

4 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

yeah surface hardware is nearly as expensive as apple hardware, so getting a dell would be much better, or better yet, a razer blade

Eh, blade has the same issue that affects the Macbooks and surfaces, all three are not user maintenance/upgrade friendly 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Eh, blade has the same issue that affects the Macbooks and surfaces, all three are not user maintenance/upgrade friendly 

if you want something that's maintenance/upgrade friendly, then get a clevo (or an alternative in your market e.g. metabox is the australian version), unless you need touchscreen or something.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

Finally reached the point when companys pay the customers lol

Also shows how desperate MS is...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

11 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

In the case of premiere, well that sucks but it seems that premiere is the only decent choice out of anything in the market, and besides it's the industry standard so if you pursue a career in video related stuff, your expertise in premiere would come in handy

I actually started video editing with iMovie then with Final Cut Pro X. I don't know if I'll have the patience to learn Premiere. Also, FCP X renders in the background unlike Premiere. As much as possible, I like to stick to first party apps so I'd say Time Machine is better than Windows 10 File History. Not to mention, I'm learning how to play guitar with the free Garage Band. Windows Movie Maker won't even come close to iMovie. I'm planning to replace my MacBook Air 13" 2011 by a MacBook Pro but I'm disappointed with the things they removed to make it thin and light. I tried to use a touchscreen PC and the experience isn't mind blowing nor significant.

6 minutes ago, Thony said:

Finally reached the point when companys pay the customers lol

Also shows how desperate MS is...

Cable companies do that. Wireless carriers also pay their customers or pay their early termination fees to switch. I don't think it's an act of desperation for Microsoft. It's not like all of a sudden Surface PCs are exploding ala GN7 and they started to buy their customers' loyalty.

I agree with Apple about the touch screen. 

Why would I want or let someone else to touch this beautiful screen and have a chance to get it all greasy and dirty with filth!

I've seen some dudes in college sitting with their touch screen windows laptops with filthy screens and finger prints...

2 minutes ago, bigneo said:

I agree with Apple about the touch screen. 

Why would I want or let someone else to touch this beautiful screen and have a chance to get it all greasy and dirty with filth!

I've seen some dudes in college sitting with their touch screen windows laptops with filthy screens and finger prints...

If only there was some way to clean a touchscreen?? I know this is exactly why I still use my Moto Razr, you people with smart phones are dumb.. there are fingerprints all over them!!

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

14 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I actually started video editing with iMovie then with Final Cut Pro X. I don't know if I'll have the patience to learn Premiere. Also, FCP X renders in the background unlike Premiere. As much as possible, I like to stick to first party apps so I'd say Time Machine is better than Windows 10 File History. Not to mention, I'm learning how to play guitar with the free Garage Band. Windows Movie Maker won't even come close to iMovie. I'm planning to replace my MacBook Air 13" 2011 by a MacBook Pro but I'm disappointed with the things they removed to make it thin and light. I tried to use a touchscreen PC and the experience isn't mind blowing nor significant.

"we all do powerful work with the trackpad" hahaha, that explains alot about apple software, they've given up on the imac. Yeah I don't like touchscreen, it's only good for games imo. Touchscreen does have its uses though and to really compete and attract customers having a stylus type thing like the ipad pro would be great, it doesn't even need to be used for the main OS, devs can add their support. Apple can afford it, touchscreen isn't that expensive.
And considering that you rely so much on garageband (truly a great software, never seen anything close to it on PC) I understand your reliance on the apple ecosystem.
FCP X is great, although it is mac only, I suppose you could get AVID which is only twice as expensive as premiere. 

Yeah I agree that microshit 1st party software is pretty bad, the whole point of windows is the wide selection of 3rd party applications compared to the closed 1st party OSX.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

14 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Yeah I agree that microshit 1st party software is pretty bad, the whole point of windows is the wide selection of 3rd party applications compared to the closed 1st party OSX.

I still use Windows but only for gaming. But for everything else like work stuff, I prefer the Mac. I don't know if the W10 creators update can get more OEMs to build touchscreen PCs and monitors. 

22 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I still use Windows but only for gaming. But for everything else like work stuff, I prefer the Mac. I don't know if the W10 creators update can get more OEMs to build touchscreen PCs and monitors. 

It probably will.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

53 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

If only there was some way to clean a touchscreen?? I know this is exactly why I still use my Moto Razr, you people with smart phones are dumb.. there are fingerprints all over them!!

Okay bruh, take your laptop in one hand and rub the screen against your jumper or jeans to clean screen conveniently/fast, just like with the phone.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

this is stupid, why would I trade in a perfectly functioning paperweight?

to get a magnesium paperweight 

Just now, TrigrH said:

magnesium is lighter hence an inferior paperweight no?

magnesium is lighter than aluminium yes, but magnesium is also more valuable than aluminium, so you get a fancier paperweight 

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

yeah but id still have to pay another ~700 for it

700 more for a chic paperweight. Show your peers how much luxurious you are 

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

700 more for a chic paperweight. Show your peers how much luxurious you are 

Surface is not a paperweight and anybody who thinks so, definitely isn't the target audience.

Does that mean because i'm not the audience for the Pixel and Pixel XL, it is a paperweight? No. Of course not.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I actually started video editing with iMovie then with Final Cut Pro X. I don't know if I'll have the patience to learn Premiere. Also, FCP X renders in the background unlike Premiere. As much as possible, I like to stick to first party apps so I'd say Time Machine is better than Windows 10 File History.

I moved to Windows and Premiere Pro after Apple stopped caring about the Mac Pro line, and honestly. I miss FCPX so damn much, it's was faster workflow wise for me personally, and significantly faster at rendering and exporting projects.

My current workstation is far better than my old Mac Pro, but it honestly barely matches FCPX in productivity.

Adobe are terrible at utilising all the available hardware, and my goodness does the software throw out "unknown error" a lot on long exports.

Never mind Adobe's terrible subscription service as well.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

3 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

OEM crapware

If don't include some of Apple's software :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)