Microsoft will pay you $650 to ditch your MacBook for a Surface

B

ut Apple has resisted putting touchscreens in its computers, saying they don't make sense. 

Coming from the guys who in the past decided to...

-Remove all external ports from a laptop with the exception of 1 single USB port

-Suddenly remove headphone jacks from phones

-Decided F-keys were no longer needed

-Remove all fans from a laptop because hey... who cares if the CPU is thermal throttling!

So when did they suddenly start caring about what makes sense?

49 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Surface is not a paperweight and anybody who thinks so, definitely isn't the target audience.

Does that mean because i'm not the audience for the Pixel and Pixel XL, it is a paperweight? No. Of course not.

ALUPOKE.jpg

Didn't call it a paperweight, i specifically called a magnesium-fancier-luxurious paperweight, the macbook is the paperweight

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If don't include some of Apple's software :P 

I haven't seen a Mac with an annoying pop up message upon first boot that says "you only have 30 days to renew Norton/McAfee anti virus" nor is there any Mac bundled with trial software that stops working after 30 days. All of the apps bundled on a Mac are fully functional and free upon the first boot.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

What gets me is the ports nonsense as Apple continues to give us less whilst charging more and saying that hey, we understand that you still need regular USB connections, or an SD slot for your camera, etc, so we have made dongle that we are more than happy to sell you.

There is nothing game changing from Apple since the iPad

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I haven't seen a Mac with an annoying pop up message upon first boot that says "you only have 30 days to renew Norton/McAfee anti virus" nor is there any Mac bundled with trial software that stops working after 30 days. All of the apps bundled on a Mac are fully functional and free upon the first boot.

That is true :P 

Plus there's the app store meaning that you can always find an application for something that's not off the deep web :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Does the old white c2d macbook count?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

I moved to Windows and Premiere Pro after Apple stopped caring about the Mac Pro line, and honestly. I miss FCPX so damn much, it's was faster workflow wise for me personally, and significantly faster at rendering and exporting projects.

My current workstation is far better than my old Mac Pro, but it honestly barely matches FCPX in productivity.

Adobe are terrible at utilising all the available hardware, and my goodness does the software throw out "unknown error" a lot on long exports.

Never mind Adobe's terrible subscription service as well.

Indeed. Adobe Creative Cloud costs $600/year, Single App plans cost $240/year. I might as well do one time payment of $300 for lifetime use of Final Cut Pro X. Although I'm quite disappointed that they've only updated the MacBook Pro that involved the removal of type A ports, MagSafe and SD card slot. Yes, Adobe Premiere sucks as it turns out.

12 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Does the old white c2d macbook count?

That's why it's "up to $650", I suspect only the $2K configurations would be offered that much :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Ive used a surface 3 pro for work for over a year. Really love it. Likely will trade in my mac for a book i7

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

4 hours ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

Basically you have no idea on what to do x)

yeah...

on one end, i really want a Surface Pro, on the other end i dont want to pay for it. And i certainly wont buy a apple product to get a discount.

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Indeed. Adobe Creative Cloud costs $600/year, Single App plans cost $240/year. I might as well do one time payment of $300 for lifetime use of Final Cut Pro X. Although I'm quite disappointed that they've only updated the MacBook Pro that involved the removal of type A ports, MagSafe and SD card slot. Yes, Adobe Premiere sucks as it turns out.

This was also a very good video.

I also paid €150 for FCPX when I first got it.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

6 hours ago, Thony said:

Finally reached the point when companys pay the customers lol

Also shows how desperate MS is...

This is nothing new, iirc MS and Samsung have done it before. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I tried to use a touchscreen PC and the experience isn't mind blowing nor significant.

That's because you probably haven't used a good touchscreen PC. I had a chance to use the original Surface Book for a week and I still miss it. You get used to treating it as a laptop and notebook, and for a student like myself it's incredibly convenient. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Why not for Surface Studio also xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

24 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's probably too new.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 hours ago, Terodius said:

That's because you probably haven't used a good touchscreen PC. I had a chance to use the original Surface Book for a week and I still miss it. You get used to treating it as a laptop and notebook, and for a student like myself it's incredibly convenient. 

IMO whether or not you find a touchscreen useful depends a lot on where you use your laptop. If you put it on a desk with a mouse beside it, it really offers no benefit. But when sitting on a couch and/or with no proper way to a mouse it can be very useful.
If you always use it as a 'mobile desktop' on a proper desk I can see how people do not see the added value. But for more 'home' use laying down on a bed or a couch it's nice.

I have a Surface Pro 4 and a 2013 retina MacBook. I'm not really sure which I prefer. I really like OS X but the old hardware isn't strong enough to drive my monitor at 60hz. I don't like Windows 10 because I've experienced so many bugs. But I love the Surface Pro 4 when Windows 10 isn't getting in the way. 

I don't want the new macbook pro because the battery is 25whr smaller. 

12 hours ago, Thony said:

Finally reached the point when companys pay the customers lol

Also shows how desperate MS is...

Considering how recent they've been on the hardware market, it's pretty impressive that they manage sell that much compared to Apple products.it's a 9 billion market for Microsoft.

3 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

For $3000 and not having a full SSD option? No! It only has SSHD of 64/128GB and a 1TB mechanical hard drive so yay for slower read/write speeds. 

1 hour ago, szomeret said:

I have a Surface Pro 4 and a 2013 retina MacBook. I'm not really sure which I prefer. I really like OS X but the old hardware isn't strong enough to drive my monitor at 60hz. I don't like Windows 10 because I've experienced so many bugs. But I love the Surface Pro 4 when Windows 10 isn't getting in the way. 

I guess I should get the older 13" MacBook Pro then even with older CPU, I guess it will still run good. 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

I guess I should get the older 13" MacBook Pro then even with older CPU, I guess it will still run good. 

Since the older CPU is only like 5% slower (way to go Intel), the only performance downside to the old 13" is weaker integrated graphics (6100 vs. 540/550), and a slower SSD. 

2 hours ago, szomeret said:

The fact that the battery is 25whr smaller isn't likely to be a big concern. Apple's battery estimates are usually pretty accurate, and the new Macs supposedly get similar battery life (even with the smaller battery). 

Although FWIW, performance hasn't increased all that much in terms of CPU performance, so you'd only gain like 10% and the better iGPU (540/550 vs. 5100) probably wouldn't be the difference between being able to do something and not (although the relative performance increase is pretty big -- 80%~ I think?).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Since the older CPU is only like 5% slower (way to go Intel), the only performance downside to the old 13" is weaker integrated graphics (6100 vs. 540/550), and a slower SSD. 

Damn it! I'm hoping that this extremely radical change of Apple would result to tanking MacBook Pro sales that would make Apple scramble and do a quick refresh by bringing back the MagSafe, type A USB, and an SDXC card reader. But I can deal with the lack of Touch ID, touch bar, and some spec compromises.

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Damn it! I'm hoping that this extremely radical change of Apple would result to tanking MacBook Pro sales that would make Apple scramble and do a quick refresh by bringing back the MagSafe, type A USB, and an SDXC card reader. But I can deal with the lack of Touch ID, touch bar, and some spec compromises.

Honestly, I'd rather have USB-C than Magsafe, even if it means I have to buy a third party usb-charger (griffin breaksafe - $35). And I get the frustration over no USB-A ports, but honestly, in a year or two I'd much rather have 4 usb-c ports than two legacy/worthless usb-a ports. An SD card would be nice for those occasions that it's needed, but I only use it on rare occasions (and I think that's true of most people -- power users/photographers likely aren't using it because it's limited to usb 2.0 speeds and because most professional cameras don't even use SD cards, and most consumers just never use SD cards). 

My bigger problem is the butterfly switch keyboard and the price hike for the touch bar ($200-300 is a bit steep). Also, had I been in the market for a new mac, I would've bought the the 15" iGPU only (for $2000), but that doesn't exist (I'm assuming there are supply issues for the 6770HQ with HD580).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Honestly, I'd rather have USB-C than Magsafe, even if it means I have to buy a third party usb-charger (griffin breaksafe - $35). And I get the frustration over no USB-A ports, but honestly, in a year or two I'd much rather have 4 usb-c ports than two legacy/worthless usb-a ports. An SD card would be nice for those occasions that it's needed, but I only use it on rare occasions (and I think that's true of most people -- power users/photographers likely aren't using it because it's limited to usb 2.0 speeds and because most professional cameras don't even use SD cards, and most consumers just never use SD cards). 

My bigger problem is the butterfly switch keyboard and the price hike for the touch bar ($200-300 is a bit steep). Also, had I been in the market for a new mac, I would've bought the the 15" iGPU only (for $2000), but that doesn't exist (I'm assuming there are supply issues for the 6770HQ with HD580).

This time around apple isn't using Iris Pro Graphics.

it's just the standard 6700HQ with HD 530 graphics.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, szomeret said:

THIS

Why the F*CK does Apple keep pushing all devices to be thinner and lighter at the cost of sacrificing battery life? It's the same across their entire lineup, iPhones, iPads, Macbooks. Why can't you just keep them at their already acceptable size and weight and just use the extra space you got from more efficient design to get a bigger battery inside?

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180