Who else is happy with Vessel shutting down?

Metrize

Just found out now and I'm overjoyed. No more of this exclusivity bullshit that means videos on YouTube are weeks late. Yay!

Yeah, I guess I am happy about not being teased for weeks now. That's kinda cool I guess, but can't say I'm as overjoyed as you are.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm gonna be honest here: I am glad we will no longer see this bullshit delay. Yeah the deal will cost Linus a pretty penny I bet but I think he should just start a go fund me campaign called "Vessel took a dump in my face, please help me recover" and call it a day.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I knew this day would come since the day they announced vessel. 

I am overjoyed as well.

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

On 10/27/2016 at 8:49 PM, Metrize said:

Just found out now and I'm overjoyed. No more of this exclusivity bullshit that means videos on YouTube are weeks late. Yay!

It's kind of sad that a startup is getting shut down in 2-3 years.

The only problem now is that Verizon own NerdSports so if they don't release it back to LMG then its gone forever:| It was really good.

On the bright side they are giving out refunds.

Hello

You guys do realize that this doesn't mean videos will come out sooner right? Videos that would've been released on Vessel today would still be released a week from now on Youtube. You just won't have the option to watch that video a week early anymore. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I mostly see benefits.

1) The team might be able to catch a breath. They seem pretty exhausted and overworked (and has seemed that way since the move or even a bit before that). That's a short term thing though.

2) No more awkward "we can't mention X, Y or Z in our videos, like annotations, because they only exist on YouTube, and not Vessel". There was a period where I thought this was very obvious (especially how Luke worded some videos) but it has since died out.

3) No more exclusives bullshit.

4) No more splitting the community into two groups. It was not really good for anyone when people made threads like "I just saw video X on Vessel and I am wondering about Y", and then we had a bunch of people just going "can't answer that because I can't watch the video".

Drawbacks? I guess LTT will make a bit less money, but I doubt it was very much (views on Vessel seem super low compared to YouTube, and the YouTube videos has integrated ads).

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I mostly see benefits.

1) The team might be able to catch a breath. They seem pretty exhausted and overworked (and has seemed that way since the move or even a bit before that). That's a short term thing though.

2) No more awkward "we can't mention X, Y or Z in our videos, like annotations, because they only exist on YouTube, and not Vessel". There was a period where I thought this was very obvious (especially how Luke worded some videos) but it has since died out.

3) No more exclusives bullshit.

4) No more splitting the community into two groups. It was not really good for anyone when people made threads like "I just saw video X on Vessel and I am wondering about Y", and then we had a bunch of people just going "can't answer that because I can't watch the video".

Drawbacks? I guess LTT will make a bit less money, but I doubt it was very much (views on Vessel seem super low compared to YouTube, and the YouTube videos has integrated ads).

I can't see how #1 would be a thing. Vessel disappearing shouldn't change the release schedule. And NerdSports was finished quite a while ago, and was the only Vessel exclusive.

I also think you underestimate how much money Vessel made them. Certainly, they'll be fine, and will be able to make due without the Vessel money, but an individual Vessel view is worth far more than a YT view. A YT view, individually, is basically worthless.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I can't see how #1 would be a thing. Vessel disappearing shouldn't change the release schedule. And NerdSports was finished quite a while ago, and was the only Vessel exclusive.

I also think you underestimate how much money Vessel made them. Certainly, they'll be fine, and will be able to make due without the Vessel money, but an individual Vessel view is worth far more than a YT view. A YT view, individually, is basically worthless.

well think about it, YouTube sees videos a week behind, and they no longer need to make them for vessel. they could now all take a week off, and then start producing videos at the same rate as previously and there will be no difference to YouTube viewers. they can essentially just burn through their backlog of videos produced for vessel.

1 minute ago, WaxyMaxy said:

well think about it, YouTube sees videos a week behind, and they no longer need to make them for vessel. they could now all take a week off, and then start producing videos at the same rate as previously and there will be no difference to YouTube viewers. they can essentially just burn through their backlog of videos produced for vessel.

Ehhh I HIGHLY doubt they will do this. It's an important business practice to have a large backlog of videos, in case of event coverage or other trips that are necessary and will impact regular video production.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Ehhh I HIGHLY doubt they will do this. It's an important business practice to have a large backlog of videos, in case of event coverage or other trips that are necessary and will impact regular video production.

You don't understand, if it was that important, they would already have a large backlog of videos for vessel. So they can take a week off and still have a large backlog. No matter what you think. they now have one extra week of time.

Just now, WaxyMaxy said:

You don't understand, if it was that important, they would already have a large backlog of videos for vessel. So they can take a week off and still have a large backlog. No matter what you think. they now have one extra week of time.

I don't think you understand either. The fact that vessel is gone now isn't going to change the total number of videos. I assume they will take that "extra" week to make even more videos.

LMG seems to be swamped all the time, and I don't think Vessel is the reason for that.

I didn't use it once even when they gave out the year free membership in the beggining so it did in no way impact me,.

Ofcource it is a shame to see it close for people who used vessel a lot or even for people who used it for an extra source of income but oh well.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I don't think you understand either. The fact that vessel is gone now isn't going to change the total number of videos. I assume they will take that "extra" week to make even more videos.

LMG seems to be swamped all the time, and I don't think Vessel is the reason for that.

They might well use that extra week to make more videos. I said that they could just take a week off. They now have one extra week. When vessel came out. they worked crazy hard to get ahead enough to make the extra videos for vessel. now they are still that far ahead and they no longer need to produce the content early for vessel. Regardless of your confusion, they still have one extra week.

Whats all this chatter about a week?

Once they finish a vid dont they post it, or does Google always wait a week before they receive it.

19 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Whats all this chatter about a week?

Once they finish a vid dont they post it, or does Google always wait a week before they receive it.

No, videos don't get posted straight away. They delay YouTube videos for 1 week unless it is something time sensitive like a GPU launch. 

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Well they could do that if they wanted to. Regardless of what they do with it, they now have an "extra week" of time they can spend on things. It might be more videos, it might be more time consuming videos, it might be relax time. No matter how you twist it, they now have extra time they can spend on other things. It's not a long term gain, but it is definitly a short term one. 

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Do you have any numbers? Saying that each view is worth far more is meaningless if we don't know how much more, and how many videos they get. Sure a vessel view might be worth 50 times more, but if the code gets 1/1000 the views then it still doesn't make that much money relative to YouTube and all their other incomes. 

Absolutely, I'm very glad Vessel is gone, but I'm pretty sad for LMG's sake, they're going to lose revenue.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

It sucks to lose Vessel, but it was dead on arrival for me personally since it took a while before it came to Android, and that was were I watched most of my LMG content at the time

The biggest problem I had with NerdSports was (a) that it caused TechQuickie (and to a lesser degree Channel Super Fun) videos to feel very rushed-out for a while and (b) that the announcement was poorly handled. I think that at least some of the public backslash could have been prevented if the announcement of this whole thing was handled better.

Maybe this will help to get videos on relevant time, by the time reviews and stuff for phones/etc are like months late. Maybe they should do reviews faster so they get more views and get money that way instead of these terrible delays from the reviee and when the product came out. There's still not a pixel review

4 hours ago, Metrize said:

Maybe this will help to get videos on relevant time, by the time reviews and stuff for phones/etc are like months late. Maybe they should do reviews faster so they get more views and get money that way instead of these terrible delays from the reviee and when the product came out. There's still not a pixel review

When they do phone reviews they usually use them for a month or so as a daily driver to get a feel for the phone instead of just a review based on first impressions and specs.  If you watched the latest wan show you can see Luke is using the Pixel