Your fav games of the last 5 years

jeremymwilson

Hi all, I am within touching distance of buying my build and after 10 years getting back in PC gaming. So I guess things have changed...

The only games I have played (on my iMac) in that time are lord of the rings online which is so old it creaks and Pillars of Eternity which was good but limited. 

So please let me know the games that stood out to you over the last 4-5 years or so - the games which you'll always remember playing and are the reason why the PC is the best gaming platform.  

Thanks all

Love not hate

Dark Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls.

Ok, just kidding, but Dark Souls is awesome.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

2 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

Hi all, I am within touching distance of buying my build and after 10 years getting back in PC gaming. So I guess things have changed...

The only games I have played (on my iMac) in that time are lord of the rings online which is so old it creaks and Pillars of Eternity which was good but limited. 

So please let me know the games that stood out to you over the last 4-5 years or so - the games which you'll always remember playing and are the reason why the PC is the best gaming platform.  

Thanks all

FTL: Faster Than Light - Strategy/RogueLike

Factorio - Strategy/Survival

AntiChamber - Puzzle?

VVVVVV - Platformer/Puzzle

Overwatch - First Person Shooter

Terraria - Survival

Super Hexagon - Twitch-action

PlanetSide2 - MMO/FPS

Most of these are indie games, and the top 4 i recommend more than anything else, they are just beautiful, amazing games that I love for many different reasons. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

6 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

Thanks all

We all have our favorite games, but we really need to know what genres you like (or think you will like) in order to recommend you games. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

5 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

Thanks all

tale from the borderlands

tw2

tw3 

the stanley parable

undertale

sometimes always monsters

spec ops the line

bl2 

the begginers guide

portal 1 and 2

south park stick of truth 

bioshock infinite

16 minutes ago, jeremymwilson said:

Thanks all

WITCHER 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WITCHER 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WITCHER 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND...

Battlefield 3. 

Arma 2 DayZ.

All time favorites

PC:  Ryzen 5 1600 Gigabyte Gaming AB350 Gaming 3 | 16gb DDR4 2666MHz | Sapphire 5700xt 8gb | 2x Crucial 1TB SSD | EVGA 650w Fully Modular PSU | NZXT H440

We all have our favorite games, but we really need to know what genres you like (or think you will like) in order to recommend you games. 

Well that's not easy to answer. I used to play a space game years ago (X3 - atmospheric but ultimately crap) so want to see what there is in that genre. Fantasy rgp (played Oblivion) and also a racing game as I will be gaming on a large tv from the couch. 

But it I want suggestions so that I can see what amazing games have passed me by and will be worth trying. 

Love not hate

League of Legends

Terraria

World of Warcraft - Preferably legion

Grand Theft Auto V

Minecraft - with mods

Garry's Mod

The best games I ever played and I know that there are better but need to get them :D

Tough call between Witcher 3 and GTAV. 

Edit: I think GTAV wins though just based on how many more hours i got out of it and continue to get out of it. 

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - gorgeous environment, immersive locations, fun gameplay, great characters, varied quests, upgradeable ship.

Battlefield 4 - generally fun combat, lots of weapon unlocks and customization, some good maps, lots of replayability.

Crysis 3 - Great graphics, enjoyable, though somewhat simple story, lots of exploration, combat is decent enough.

Arma 3 - immersive story and environment.

Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton - Hail to the king, baby!

Age of Empires 2 HD - Good RTS.

Homeworld Remastered - Good RTS.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

The games I have played the most:

Arma 3 - multiplayer with my community milsim

Minecraft - with mods like feed the beast

Kerbal space program

Battlefield 4

Cataclysm

Mists of Pandaria

Warlords of Draenor

Legion

Skyrim

Europa Universalis IV

Hearts of Iron IV

Stellaris

Battlefield 3

Battlefield 4

The Witcher 3

Grand Theft Auto V

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Arma 2 Dayz mod overpoch mod

CSGO

Battlefield 3 ( 4 sucked balls)

Bad company 2 (this one is right on the edge of the time frame, but wanted to include it anyways)

Insurgency 

Heroes of the storm 

9 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - gorgeous environment, immersive locations, fun gameplay, great characters, varied quests, upgradeable ship.

How does that game compare to the Ezio Trilogy? AC 2 and AC Brotherhood are such amazing games. I thought AC Revelations was a big step down from 2 and Brotherhood though.

5 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

How does that game compare to the Ezio Trilogy? AC 2 and AC Brotherhood are such amazing games. I thought AC Revelations was a big step down from 2 and Brotherhood though.

It's been so long since I played the first AC, and I've only played a short bit of the start of the second one, so I don't actually know the answer to your question. I've completed 3, 4 (2 full times, 2 - 3 times half-way through), Rogue, played a lot of Unity, and a bunch of Syndicate. I played the first AC when it released, though I think I didn't really follow the story, and just ran around the place. I played a bit of the second one, but didn't go into the story beyond a handful of missions. AC4 immersed me the most out of all the AC's I've played and remember.

I see lots of people cite the 2nd, or the 4th game as their favourite. Probably each game has some people citing it as their favourite, but the 2nd and the 4th are the two I think I see cited most frequently as being people's favourite.

AC4 doesn't compare a lot to Unity or Syndicate... those games are very reduced in scope and presentation to 4. AC3 wasn't bad, IMO. The worst part of 3 for me was the town guard AI, which was pretty ridiculous in its persistence and difficulty to get away from. AC4 has a better balance between AI skill and fun-factor, by reducing AI sight distance, their ability to keep up while running away, and getting rid of having a seemingly endless number of soldiers spawning all around when trying to get away.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987