Memorygate!! iPhone 7 32GB vs 128GB

richardmajor86
Just now, manikyath said:

the iPhone would be the most sensible platform out of all smartphones to have USB3 (or similar) available, wouldnt it?

IDK, the iPad Pro has the USB3 capable Lightning...... So yeah.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

IDK, the iPad Pro has the USB3 capable Lightning...... So yeah.

think of this: syncing speed off the iPhone hasnt changed since i had a 120GB hard drive as a single storage device, and considered it plenty.

2 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Because 90% of users don't need over 32gb, and it costs more

It may cost more, but not any where near as much as the mark-up given by Apple.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

think of this: syncing speed off the iPhone hasnt changed since i had a 120GB hard drive as a single storage device, and considered it plenty.

I wouldn't care that much if Apple's iTunes for Windows didn't suck balls.

Why would I (in theory since I don't own an iPhone) have to use iTunes to access the contents of my phone?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I wouldn't care that much if Apple's iTunes for Windows didn't suck balls.

Why would I (in theory since I don't own an iPhone) have to use iTunes to access the contents of my phone?

no, think of it like this:

why does taking a local backup of your device fail if your firewall blocks iTunes?

2 hours ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Apple sucks balls

IMO dont buy an iPhone (Google Pixel is a better option)

If only it had a form of optical zoom.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I don't really think it is a big problem. Apple also never say it is faster, it just guarantee the capacity of the flash memory.

Smaller flash memory is always slower than the much bigger capacity, although I do love for Apple to use more high quality chips on the 32GB.

Most users doesn't need those faster write speed though, since it is still USB 2.0. Most people download speed also doesn't reach 30MB/s.

3 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I just bought a 128GB flash drive for like nothing and a few 480GB ssds for 100$ each. wtf is with phones capacity anyway? Just now we got higher ones, for iPhone at least. 

Nvm 6 had it too 

anyway with a phone that fuckin expensive, and the crazy margins apple has, why is the 32GB one even a thing? 

649 fucking dollars for the 32 Gb one. 749 and 849 for 128 and 256. 

200 dollars more for ~224GB more space. What the fuck am I missing something? Is that the only difference? That's like a little less than a dollar a GB for the upgrade 

Well even google is following them now...RIP nexus value. I really hope this phone actually performs, otherwise what's the point of charging it that much.

Pascal laptops guide

Why are people even supprised about this?

If you really didnt see this coming you have no idea how computers work.

The low capacity iPhone 7 has less NAND chips.

Less chips = less parallelism = less speed

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

3 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I just bought a 128GB flash drive for like nothing and a few 480GB ssds for 100$ each. wtf is with phones capacity anyway? Just now we got higher ones, for iPhone at least. 

Nvm 6 had it too 

anyway with a phone that fuckin expensive, and the crazy margins apple has, why is the 32GB one even a thing? 

200 dollars more for ~224GB more space. What the fuck am I missing something? Is that the only difference? That's like a little less than a dollar a GB for the upgrade 

You probably know this but they don't give a fuck, the low storage option is just there for the sake of having something at that price point (even though its already on territory almost no other company is competing at...) and to incentivize people to spend more on the higher storage option that have higher margins.

Also the big gap in pricing between each storage tire feels again like a because they can thing.

Apple has reached the point that no other company has reached of being able to release what it looks like a interesting product but in reality is not that special, that is what the iphone has turned. 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Please update your post to be in line with our requirements as stated here:

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 minutes ago, mathijs727 said:

Why are people even supprised about this?

If you really didnt see this coming you have no idea how computers work.

The low capacity iPhone 7 has less NAND chips.

Less chips = less parallelism = less speed

I am surprised. Want to know why I am surprised despite knowing that larger size SSDs generally have higher speeds?
Because the 32GB iPhone 7 has slower memory than the 16GB iPhone 6S.

Here are the iPhone 6S, 16GB results:

Read - 854MBps

Write - 45MBps.

Here are the 32GB iPhone 7 results:

Read - 691MBps

Write - 40MBps

These results should be surprising. The people who aren't surprised are those who doesn't know enough about the hardware of previous generation iPhones to know what to expect.

This shouldn't be a huge surprise, though the drop does seem a little large. When capacity goes up though write speed does too just because of parrallelism. I'm not sure how it is on real world test but it kinda makes sense in synthetics.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

41 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am surprised. Want to know why I am surprised despite knowing that larger size SSDs generally have higher speeds?

Read - 854MBps

Write - 45MBps.

Read - 691MBps

Write - 40MBps

These results should be surprising. The people who aren't surprised are those who doesn't know enough about the hardware of previous generation iPhones to know what to expect.

They switched to a new manufacturer perhaps? Best explanation I can come up with.

Pascal laptops guide

Here's the benchmark run for my iPhone 7 128GB.

2016-10-09 10.02.53.png

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Well of course smaller ssd's perform worse than larger ones,  and this is also true for pc's.  But this is still unacceptable  considering the price of the device. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Nvm 6 had it too 

Have you seen what passing from 8gb to 16gb of ram on an imac costs? It's just plain old ram but it costs 200$ for 8gb

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Nvm 6 had it too 

Apple charged 600 bucks for 32GB of RAM before and also 600 bucks for 1 TB SSD instead of a 1 TB HDD is still a thing. I'm not surprised.

People in general are uninformed and still buy into it so they get away with it.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

4 hours ago, richardmajor86 said:

-snip-

I don't remember them telling us that during the keynote

neither did they say anything about the NVME drive inside the phone, never heard someone complain about that.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Get it reimaged. EVERY computer with ANY OS has this happen over time due to cruft and file system bloat. It's not even the features slowing you down.

Yep, but in every computer you get to choose whether or not to upgrade to the next version. Except in some rare cases ATCHHOOOwindows10AHEM. 

12 hours ago, Thiback said:

Yep, but in every computer you get to choose whether or not to upgrade to the next version. Except in some rare cases ATCHHOOOwindows10AHEM. 

Eh... OEM computers are pretty bad about allowing that actually.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Eh... OEM computers are pretty bad about allowing that actually.

*Looks at HP and Dell, "What do you mean that PCIe and PCI slots only work with a very limited range of brands and models?"*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 9/10/2016 at 3:00 PM, LAwLz said:

Read - 854MBps

Write - 45MBps.

Read - 691MBps

Write - 40MBps

Newer products often use newer flash memory, and newer flash memory often has higher density. Meaning you get fewer channels for the controller to address at a given capacity.

However, I don't think the density would have more than doubled going from 6S to 7, and doubling the density should just put the 6S 16GB and the 7 32GB on equal footing (all else being equal).

34 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Newer products often use newer flash memory, and newer flash memory often has higher density. Meaning you get fewer channels for the controller to address at a given capacity.

However, I don't think the density would have more than doubled going from 6S to 7, and doubling the density should just put the 6S 16GB and the 7 32GB on equal footing (all else being equal).

Yeah newer chips are usually denser, but this is not a case where you can just go "oh the higher capacity is just faster because of more NAND chips". There is something else going on which makes the 32GB model slower than expected.

It would be interesting to know what is going on. Hopefully someone will do a deep analysis of the 32GB model.

It's not really a serious issue to begin with, but it's sad to see Apple take a step backwards like this (on the 32GB model, the other models are even faster than the previous versions).