Memorygate!! iPhone 7 32GB vs 128GB

richardmajor86

GSM Arena

Apparently the 32GB version of the iPhone 7 (and plus?) has MUCH slower memory than the 128GB version. Write speeds appear to be almost 10x slower!!

I don't remember them telling us that during the keynote

I just bought a 128GB flash drive for like nothing and a few 480GB ssds for 100$ each. wtf is with phones capacity anyway? Just now we got higher ones, for iPhone at least. 

Nvm 6 had it too 

anyway with a phone that fuckin expensive, and the crazy margins apple has, why is the 32GB one even a thing? 

649 fucking dollars for the 32 Gb one. 749 and 849 for 128 and 256. 

200 dollars more for ~224GB more space. What the fuck am I missing something? Is that the only difference? That's like a little less than a dollar a GB for the upgrade 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Apple sucks balls

IMO dont buy an iPhone (Google Pixel is a better option)

but to answer your problem my friends mum has the 32GB model and my dad has the 128GB model and transferring photos from the phone to a laptop does take a little longer on the 32GB model but not by to much.

4 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Apple sucks balls

but to answer your problem my friends mum has the 32GB model and my dad has the 128GB model and transferring photos from the phone to a laptop does take a little longer on the 32GB model but not by to much.

in a world that makes sense the bottleneck in both cases should be the USB 2.0 link, meaning they should both be the same speed.

Just ran the Basemark OS2 on my 256GB iPhone 7 I get 2701 on memory.

IMG_0099.PNG

21 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Apple sucks balls

I am absolutely over and done with android. It's been a love/hate relationship, and my iPad with iOS has only been a "love" relationship. I've been using Nexus, LG, Sony, Samsung, and I'm all done with it

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

27 minutes ago, richardmajor86 said:

GSM Arena

Apparently the 32GB version of the iPhone 7 (and plus?) has MUCH slower memory than the 128GB version. Write speeds appear to be almost 10x slower!!

I don't remember them telling us that during the keynote

GREAT. Just ordered an iPhone 7Pkus with 32GB...

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

rip apple sheep

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

That's the case with all flash memory. The lower capacity chips always are slower. Just look at those fancy new NVMe SSDs. It's nice getting 3GB/sec read speeds on the 1TB models, but good luck getting that on a 128/256GB model (same with write speeds).

And again, synthetic benchmark. It's the same with that chipgate bullshit we had last year. On paper it showed a difference, but in reality you wouldn't see any difference at all. Same here. You're reading more than writing (unless you're the person installing apps all day every day in which case wtf are you doing), so the read speeds are what matter. Those are still close to 700 MB/sec on the 32GB model, still faster than the 6S, and still miles ahead of any competition in the Android space.

Ye ole' train

22 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

Just ran the Basemark OS2 on my 256GB iPhone 7 I get 2701 on memory.

IMG_0099.PNG

6 minutes ago, richardmajor86 said:

My iPhone 7 32GB version

IMG_0626.PNG

please post second screens too, i mean this screen 

img%5D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

29 minutes ago, MeepLikesToBuildPc's said:

I am absolutely over and done with android. It's been a love/hate relationship, and my iPad with iOS has only been a "love" relationship. I've been using Nexus, LG, Sony, Samsung, and I'm all done with it

I'm totally not patronising you or criticising your choice or anything, but what were the "hate" elements in your love/hate Android relationship?

Not looking to argue with you, just purely curious.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

16 minutes ago, richardmajor86 said:

My iPhone 7 32GB version

IMG_0626.PNG

Damn that memory score is almost as bad as my OnePlus One lol

tmp_30363-Screenshot_20161009-0627441226800492.png

That's the other result on the other benchmark they used 256GB iPhone 7.

IMG_0102.PNG

Glad i went with the 256 7 plus then .  I too loved/love android ,  used it since froyo,  but I'm tired of the update model.  If nexus was widely available in my country ,  maybe .  I hope pixel will be widely available 

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I just bought a 128GB flash drive for like nothing and a few 480GB ssds for 100$ each. wtf is with phones capacity anyway? Just now we got higher ones, for iPhone at least. 

Nvm 6 had it too 

anyway with a phone that fuckin expensive, and the crazy margins apple has, why is the 32GB one even a thing? 

200 dollars more for ~224GB more space. What the fuck am I missing something? Is that the only difference? That's like a little less than a dollar a GB for the upgrade 

the memory chips have to be smaller and more intricete in the bigger storagre variants but yes, its insainely priced but thats what you get with apple

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Should have saw this coming. Apple have been proposing 16 gigs iphone 6 and 6s as their entry level, the next tier in memory being 64 gigs, skipping the 32 gigs. This move made people have the choice between a limited memory (16gigs is good for a few photos, music and apps but becomes limited fast), and more than enough memory (64 gigs would be more than my needs). Therefore, consumer would come get the 64 gigs version, paying more. Since the sweetspot consumer would be looking for being 32 gigs, releasing the iphone 7 entry level at 32 gigs was a welcomed choice, but Apple being Apple, of course they would screw people over and entice them to buy the more expensive version of their products.

Honestly, I have lost any neutrality against Apple since I discover how much they would tickle their customers' asses to buy more. My Iphone 4s was working great at release, and over the years, unavoidable IOS updates made it get slower in exchange of "revolutionnary" features. Now there isn't a day when I don't want to wreck it with a sledgehammer for how sluggish it is.

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Nvm 6 had it too 

For people like me who really don't need more.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

14 minutes ago, Thiback said:

Should have saw this coming. Apple have been proposing 16 gigs iphone 6 and 6s as their entry level, the next tier in memory being 64 gigs, skipping the 32 gigs. This move made people have the choice between a limited memory (16gigs is good for a few photos, music and apps but becomes limited fast), and more than enough memory (64 gigs would be more than my needs). Therefore, consumer would come get the 64 gigs version, paying more. Since the sweetspot consumer would be looking for being 32 gigs, releasing the iphone 7 entry level at 32 gigs was a welcomed choice, but Apple being Apple, of course they would screw people over and entice them to buy the more expensive version of their products.

Honestly, I have lost any neutrality against Apple since I discover how much they would tickle their customers' asses to buy more. My Iphone 4s was working great at release, and over the years, unavoidable IOS updates made it get slower in exchange of "revolutionnary" features. Now there isn't a day when I don't want to wreck it with a sledgehammer for how sluggish it is.

Get it reimaged. EVERY computer with ANY OS has this happen over time due to cruft and file system bloat. It's not even the features slowing you down.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Stop calling everything a "gate"

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

3 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Stop calling everything a "gate"

+1

10 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

For people like me who really don't need more.

Lol. I would be happy with a 64GB SKU......

32GB is not enough and yet 128GB is too much :D. #FirstWorldProblems.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, S.Stephenson said:

That's the other result on the other benchmark they used 256GB iPhone 7.

IMG_0102.PNG

Lol. I thought Apple was using LPDDR4-3200 Single Channel 64 Bit for iPhone 7

2 hours ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Apple sucks balls

I would agree with you if Google actually updated their software properly

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

in a world that makes sense the bottleneck in both cases should be the USB 2.0 link, meaning they should both be the same speed.

It still puzzles me why Apple doesn't just make the move to USB3 compatible Lightning

2 hours ago, MeepLikesToBuildPc's said:

The only things keeping me away from Android are: Google being creepy, Google screwing up Updates and Google not optimizing Android for a large screen.

If I had to buy a new phone tomorrow then I would get the iPhone 7 Plus despite all of it's short comings (and there are quite a few for an $870 phone).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Nvm 6 had it too 

Because 90% of users don't need over 32gb, and it costs more

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It still puzzles me why Apple doesn't just make the move to USB3 compatible Lightning

the iPhone would be the most sensible platform out of all smartphones to have USB3 (or similar) available, wouldnt it?