My hotmail account history is littered with successful sign in attempts from the Middle East and more. Advice?

I got a security notice from Microsoft on my computer. I changed my password (Both passwords plenty secure, >20 chars, 100-150 bits, no standard English words, password unique to account) and checked my account history. There were a couple of successful sign-ins from Saudi Arabia, Japan, Spain, Indonesia, France, Jamaica, Korea... As well as attempts from Antigua and Barbuda, Span, Russia, Moldova, etc dating back to about last month. What the hell? Am I being targeted or some shit? I can only hope they didn't touch my other accounts.

I'll be doing a full scan on every desktop and laptop that I'm signed in to, but other than a Virus, why and how would anyone want my account? Has anybody else been "targeted" like this? At >20 chars, I'm assuming social engineering or a virus was used to get my password. Any tips?

You've probably got a keylogger, by it a rogue browser extension or something installed.

As to why anyone would want your account... They don't. They want any kind of information that could lead them to either stealing your identity, credit card numbers and/or some other thing like that.

Quite frankly, if it keeps happening even after you've changed password and the scans are inconclusive, format, not worth the headache and waste time to find out how and why. And if it keeps happening even after you've formated, well, get a new email. If it STILL happens even on the new email, you're are obviously doing something wrong somewhere, have fun finding out what.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

^^ This.

I honestly have no idea why some people still use the crapfest that is Hotmail. Yahoo's been doing some really dodgy stuff lately. Come over to Google's services dude.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Dargenfire said:

^^ This.

I honestly have no idea why some people still use the crapfest that is Hotmail. Yahoo's been doing some really dodgy stuff lately. Come over to Google's services dude.

like google is any better in that department...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

At least Google is upfront and honest with it's users that it does collect data for advertising stuff.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly I would just say on every account of yours that supports it, enable 2-factor authentication.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

yeah treat this as a lesson and enable 2 step verification and also look more carefully at your account because a month is laughably long for someone to have taken whatever they want from that account

3 minutes ago, asapansh said:

yeah treat this as a lesson and enable 2 step verification and also look more carefully at your account because a month is laughably long for someone to have taken whatever they want from that account

I have 2 factor enabled. Problem is, you don't need 2 factor for smtp auth. I have no idea why MS didn't warn me about this 2 weeks ago when the first login happened.

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It is. Much higher security, validation, spam protection, encryption, and disabling access for less secure programs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, kenblu24 said:

I have 2 factor enabled. Problem is, you don't need 2 factor for smtp auth. I have no idea why MS didn't warn me about this 2 weeks ago when the first login happened.

what 2-factor is that that allowed 3rd parties to log in into your account

I have Hotmail for like 15y; couple of years ago I had a login attempt that MS blocked, but also blocked me until I proven I was the owner

back then, the only 2 factor was via SMS, now it's capable of using google's 2-factor auth android app - I switched to it instantly
now, I have a bunch of unsuccessful login attempts each week - but the only one who logs in is me and me alone

I prefer to use the lower known companies. I use GMX alot lol 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

45 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Hotmail allows 2 factor authentication - use it!

Stop calling it Hotmail xD

Hotmail was replaced by Outlook like 50 billion years ago (not really that long but whatever)

Just now, DisconnectedYT said:

Stop calling it Hotmail xD

Hotmail was replaced by Outlook like 50 billion years ago (not really that long but whatever)

my mail account is @hotmail - deal with it