What was your first computer?

xserd

Our family's first computer was a "US Computers" tower with Windows 95.  We got it for Christmas 1997.  I couldn't even tell you any specs, but I can promise that it was lower-end.

My first computer was a Toshiba Satellite A-Series with Windows XP that I bought in August 2004.  it was $1000, had an AMD Athlon, 512MB RAM, and probably some baseline integrated graphics card.  Funny to think that that laptop was likely baseline back in 2004, but it was the price of a higher-end laptop nowadays (I'm guessing).  I got five years out of it, finally buying a new laptop in September 2009.  Hell, the screen hinges broke, so for the last year or so of its life I had to use something to prop up the screen.

It was comical how little I knew about computers back then.  I really screwed that thing up.  Got plenty of malware, once got it so bad that I had to reformat.  And I knew little about maintenance or security, so it was running really slow there towards the end.  Would take Firefox like two minutes to boot up.  It actually took me losing my install disc when I needed to reformat again (to escape the slowness.  Again, didn't know very much) before I just realized it was time for a new one, anyway.

Every computer I've bought since then has also been a Toshiba.

My first Pc was a Packard bell With a intel I486 DX , I still have the CPU from it. 

post-147317-0-69507500-1450449610.jpg

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Timex Sinclair 1000 (actual size footprint is smaller than a sheet of paper):

ts1000.JPG

It came out in 1983 for under $100, one of my uncles gave me his after he got a Macintosh in '84. I spent many nights going through the manual and teaching myself programming with the sample programs listed in the back of the manual. The brick you see on the back is a 16KB memory expansion module and it stored data using cassette tapes. I had mine hooked up to a ~10" black and white TV. There were 2 problems I experienced with it: after 30 minutes the video would start to get wavy from overheating and the sample "Monopoly" game in the manual would never work (kept getting errors), I was only 6 years old at the time so not very good at debugging.

Amiga 500.

I still have it and ~300 Games for it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I don't remember the brand, but it ran Win 3.1. I would play Commander Keen for HOURS. It was glorious.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

An old second hand 486 DX2 that my sister bought when she was in college. That thing was awesome. I remember that when we got it, it had WarCraft and Dune II installed on it. I fell in love with RTS the first time I laid my eyes on Dune II. I found WarCraft two weeks later. It lasted a while, I even remember playing Diablo, StarCraft and Roller Coaster Tycoon on that thing before switching to a PIII 733MHz in high school :).

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

Hp pavilion. 

366 mhz cpu

64mb ram

4.5 gb HD

onboard graphics. 

Played diablo 2 like a dream. 

I had a desktop computer, but not sure what it was. I was only about 10 at the time. It was DOS based and only used 5 1/2" floppy disks to run programs. I miss that wizard game I played. "Go NORTH."

41CKG2l5nFL._SX450_.jpg

9-15-08isq80sm4.jpg

apcnews2011apple-macbook-pro-238_mainIma

Finally, my current gaming/workstation desktop PC. Specs in the spoiler in my sig.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I had used a few computers before, but MY first PC was... a slightly modified HP Pavilion laptop a few years ago. It, uh, wasn't very good... and I don't remember the model right now. I think it's hard drive died, then I took it apart.. and then IT died.

Really wish I would have known as much as I do now back then...

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

IBM PC XT - $1500

I thin it had 640K ram.

Upgraded 10 gig HD

5.25 Floppy

CGA monitor.

I ended up stealing a freaking modem for it.... back when that shit was possible. $300 modem, lol 9600 baud rate.

I did save up for awhile and buy a $300 ATI video card that turned CGA into EVGA on a CGA monitor.... normally unheard of back then.

Kings Quest 4 here I come.

My first computer was a laptop

The dell inspiron 15R 5521

CPU-Intel core i7 3537U @2.0GHz single core turbo upto 3.1Ghz

GPU-intel HD 4000 iGPU and AMD radeon 8750M dGPU with 2GB GDDR3 VRAM

RAM- 8GB DDR3L SODIMM

STORAGE- 1TB HDD(5400 RPM)

DISPLAY- 1366*786 Touch display with 10 touch points

PERIPHERALS- 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, 1HDMI, 1 DC adapter, 1 SD card slot, 1 ethernet port

My first computer was a laptop

The dell inspiron 15R 5521

CPU-Intel core i7 3537U @2.0GHz single core turbo upto 3.1Ghz

GPU-intel HD 4000 iGPU and AMD radeon 8750M dGPU with 2GB GDDR3 VRAM

RAM- 8GB DDR3L SODIMM

STORAGE- 1TB HDD(5400 RPM)

DISPLAY- 1366*786 Touch display with 10 touch points

PERIPHERALS- 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0, 1HDMI, 1 DC adapter, 1 SD card slot, 1 ethernet port

How much did that cost?

Pro Budget Gamer (thats not a thing)

My first computer was a shitty IBM laptop- looked a bit like this.

2589.jpg

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

Some 2001 Asus laptop with a single core 32 bit 2ghz pentium 4, 512 entire megs of RAM, 40gb hard drive and some ati GPU with 32mb of vram.

I've played Minecraft on that thing and dayum, it ran pretty smooth (30fps) with everything ultra low.

It died unfortunately 4 years ago.

My uncle ordered my first computer after my parents gave him the money to do so. It was made by Evesham which is long out of business by now. Had an Intel pentium D single core inside, IDE hard drive, ATI graphics card, two Optical drives. Came with a grey monitor, greyish keyboard and ball mouse before laser became a thing. Had xp home edition installed. That's all I remember since I was like 6 or 7 years of age back then.

My first PC was a IBM 600x Pentium 3 based laptop with 256mb of ram and 20GB HDD. It still works and i use it as a "server" for my printer. Next i got a custom build PC with Intel Core 2 Duo clocked at 2.2ghz 4gb of ram and 9500gt (512mb version) i sold it to a friend and it still works perfectly. And you can check my current build in my profile.

Desktop :
Celeron 766MHz (Socket 370)
128MB SDRAM (100MHz)
GeForce2 MX 200 (32MB w/o TV-out), passive cooling :)
20GB HDD (5400 RPM i think)
Soltek MB (no integrated sound :P), don't know exact model...
SoundBlaster 128 PCI
300W PSU (I think, probably no-name).
Modem 56k :)
Philips 105S monitor (1024x768 @ 60Hz CRT)
Windows 98 SE (<== still have it)

First thing that broke was floppy drive  :lol:

Rest :
"Generic speakers"
HP printer + Plustek scanner (i think), both USB 1.1

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

my first desktop was an old dell, i think it was a dimension, one of the XPS T series. i think it ran win98 but i can't remember. wikiped says they ran a pentium 3 and around 128MB RAM.

my first laptop was given to me as a toy by one of my dad's college friends who no longer needed it and knew i loved messing with computers. it's a 1994 compaq 425 LTE/lite upgraded to run win95. monochrome screen, built-in trackball, still in full working order save for the floppy drive which seemed to have suffered some trauma at the hands of a certain 3 year old (i had to fix the door on it when i dug the laptop out). i think it has around 4MB RAM and a 20MB hard drive

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

My first PC?

Pff... It was a 486 DX4 at 120 MHz. I don't quite know for sure how much RAM it had, I vaguely recall it being 16 or 24MB (eventually). It had a Gravis Ultrasound soundcard, which had awesome quality! It started out with just an S3 Trio 64v+ card for graphics, but I later added a Voodoo (1) card which actually had an external passthrough. I bought a huge 250MB disk for it, which would surely last forever as it was more storage than I'd ever need right? And I was glad to have a four speed CD drive, as Encarta would load so much faster... Although I mostly ignored the new Windows 95 stuff as DOS was so much more easy and faster to control.

Ahh... those were the days! :)

(Am I showing age? :P )

My very first PC was... I don't remember really, it was like 10 years ago + I haven't had it very long because firstly the monitor died & the PC after it... It was running on a AMD processor & an nVidia GPU but don't remember which one [emoji52]

The first that I remember was my Dell Inspiron 1525:

0088411601336_500x500.jpg

Genesis 2:1|CPU- FX8320E|GPU- Asus R7 250X 2gb|RAM- 16GB Team DDR3 1866mhz|MOBO- Asus Sabertooth 990FX|HDD- WD 1TB|SSD- SD 240GB|PSU- 620w|OS-Win764HP|

Laptops:|Dell Latitude E6320 - CPU: i5-2520M - RAM: 6GB - HDD: 500GB - OS: Win 7 64U|Dell Inspiron 1525 - CPU: Celeron 540 - RAM: 1GB - HDD: 80GB - OS Win 7 32HP|

Some professional IBM pc. Had pentium 4 with 512mb of ram. IDK graphics. Back in 2003

Specs: CPU: FX-6350 Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming RAM: 8GB of cheapo ram GPU: Sapphire R7 360 Case: AzzA SIRUS Storage: 2tb Toshiba Hybrid 

PSU: Cooler Master G550M Displays: A Samsung monitor and a random small TV Cooling: Air 2.0 Keyboard: CM Devastor Mouse: CM Devastor

Sound: Monster DNA Headphones White OS: Windows 8.1 Linus Edition PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpic...ed/#view=2nXcCJ