What was your first computer?

xserd

The first pc i built took 1 hour for me to figure out that i didnt have cpu power plugged in. Derp

Main PC : CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VII RAM: 32GB Crucial 2133MHz GPU: GTX 980ti 2-Way SLI Drives: 2 850 Evo 250GB, 1 TB WD Blue CASE: 750D PSU: RM1000W

My first PC is the one I'm still using. The build itself was fine, I had some friends helping me who knew what they were doing (we did forget the power LED though) however the part list made by a friend was questionable. It had the current Mobo, RAM, CPU and Corsair SSD, however the GPU was a Radeon HD 7850... Yes, that's right, on a "gaming" PC I spent less on my GPU than on my CPU (or at least almost the same amount). The build had an estimated draw of 400 watts maximum, so we bought a 750 watt psu...

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

....I wanted to cry because I stuck in my GPU before I plugged in the power switch and led controls and so I only had this tight little space and I don't have the smallest of hands or nimblest of fingers so it was painful..........

ditto here.

but I was "cool, calm, and collected" that I decided to remove both my GPU and my WiFi adapter. ahahahaha

I just built my first rig about 5 days ago. Was pretty happy when everything worked fine and booted from the first try.

After a few hours, I was actually on windows 10 and stuff (trying out edge etc etc) when I was researching fans for the Hyper 212x.

Then and there I realized that I installed the cooler the other way (instead of blowing to the exhaust, I t'was blowing to the PSU)

.....to be continued....

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

My current PC. All I've done is add the second GPU and add another HDD from when it was originally built

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I actually thought about building a PC back in early 2014 (I originally wanted an Xbone solely for Forza Motorsport 5) but only until November this year I was able to build it.

So in October 2015 I got the parts and managed to assemble it together but the motherboard died during the process (I think it was faulty from the beginning) and that delayed my ascension until November (Just imagine a bunch of components just lying on your desk in your bedroom for a month). In November I finally got the replacement motherboard and everything worked and booted fine the first time however the WD Blue drive I got brand new was all along DOA so I thought I put in this 8 year old Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 I found in a Seagate Desktop backup thing I salvaged would do fine until I got the replacement.

Bad idea, the Seagate soon started to die on me and soon enough it gave up and I lost some of the games I installed from Steam earlier, GTA V was the biggest loss since It took 17 hours on my crappy ADSL connection to download  :(

Main Machine

6700K, Kraken X61, Z170 Krait Gaming, 16GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO/ 1TB WD Blue, Sapphire R9 390, NZXT H440

Secondary Machine

Early 2011 17 inch Macbook Pro

ditto here.

but I was "cool, calm, and collected" that I decided to remove both my GPU and my WiFi adapter. ahahahaha

I just built my first rig about 5 days ago. Was pretty happy when everything worked fine and booted from the first try.

After a few hours, I was actually on windows 10 and stuff (trying out edge etc etc) when I was researching fans for the Hyper 212x.

Then and there I realized that I installed the cooler the other way (instead of blowing to the exhaust, I t'was blowing to the PSU)

.....to be continued....

Hahaha loved that one!

-matx

I actually thought about building a PC back in early 2014 (I originally wanted an Xbone solely for Forza Motorsport 5) but only until November this year I was able to build it.

So in October 2015 I got the parts and managed to assemble it together but the motherboard died during the process (I think it was faulty from the beginning) and that delayed my ascension until November (Just imagine a bunch of components just lying on your desk in your bedroom for a month). In November I finally got the replacement motherboard and everything worked and booted fine the first time however the WD Blue drive I got brand new was all along DOA so I thought I put in this 8 year old Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 I found in a Seagate Desktop backup thing I salvaged would do fine until I got the replacement.

Bad idea, the Seagate soon started to die on me and soon enough it gave up and I lost some of the games I installed from Steam earlier, GTA V was the biggest loss since It took 17 hours on my crappy ADSL connection to download  :(

Silence for a fallen brother. That sucks man hope it works out!

-matx

My current PC is my first build. (Spec in my profile) I did not start with a budget build and went balls to the wall and bought some of the most expensive components I could and amazingly I did not screw it up

Back in the day lol :) First computer I built was a 386... :) That was when the motherboard had no integrated anything. You had to plug in IDE cards just to connect your HD. :)

At a time when the soundblaster was the biggest card you had in your system, and GPU's didn't even exist :)

The system had 500MB hard disk (which I might add was huge for the day, sizes of HD could be as low as 20mb) and the processor ran at 16 or 33hz, I had 1mb of ram but if you had 2mb of ram you were packing  :)

Games of choice of that day were Xenon 2 / Sopwith / Indy 500 / Populas

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

(Just imagine a bunch of components just lying on your desk in your bedroom for a month). 

This is my current situation. I've got my case, motherboard and ram and I can't get the CPU, PSU, Hard Drive and OS until the 31st of this month

I take for granted the high speed broadband in London, takes about 30 minutes to download ;-(

I take for granted the high speed broadband in London, takes about 30 minutes to download ;-(

17 hours is not that bad if you set it running when you came home from work and by the time you come home on the next day you are rocking.

Also 60+GB in 30 minutes??!??!??

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

17 hours is not that bad if you set it running when you came home from work and by the time you come home on the next day you are rocking.

Its bad even if you were waiting for it to download on a Lunar Module on the Moon

Its bad even if you were waiting for it to download on a Lunar Module on the Moon

There is always a bigger fish.... :)

ditto here.

.....to be continued....

..continuation...

so here I was. acting "cool, calm, and collected". I first checked if I could just transfer the fan on the other side, without having to remove the cooler. apparently that was easy, but I had to remove one of the RAMS first 'coz my hand was too big. closed the side panel, ta-da, #solved.

next thing I know, I'm in the UEFI BIOS playing around (and crashing a lot), overclocking.

Then suddenly, just at the side there, I see "DDR3 4096". I'm like what. Is my RAM broken sht. Turns out it was just loose from the reinstall I did earlier.

LL: Not every first build story is a clusterfck of problems. If you don't get overexcited, you might just be lucky enough to pull it off the first try.

Karamo

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600 | CPU Cooler: Wraith Stealth | GPU: Gigabgyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 Super | Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max | RAM: G.Skill FlareX 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 | SSD: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro M.2 256GB | HDD: 1TB 2.5" Western Digital Blue (WD10SPZX) | Case: NZXT H510 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit |

Also 60+GB in 30 minutes??!??!??

60gb in 30 minutes is probably off a bit or hes got crazy internet lol probably meant the usual games he downloads is roughly 30 minutes and are more around the 20gig mark. most of my games take around that i dont have many games with 30+Gbs of size though.  100Mbps connection should do it in under 1 hour and 30 minutes  and 300Mbps would do it in just under a half hour  @Quincy15   @KrakensKitchen 17 Hours ouch what do you get with a speed test

First Built from scratch was for a friend haha. 

But my own CPU: AMD FX-8350 Octa Core Black Edition. R9 270X GPU. 16GB Kingston RAM.

Learnt not to buy a cheap fan controller. Tried a cheap Power cool controller and it wasn't good at all. Now very happy with the NZXT controller over 5 Artic F12 Fans.

Frist PC built (in sig) I call Red Fox.

Sadly it wasn't my PC, I built it for someone else that I meet online.

We agreed on the price and build. He sent me a interact e-transfer for the c$1,200.

Everything went pretty smooth. I did buy a CX psu, posted the build on LTT, ended up with a 12 II from SafeSonic out of my own pocket because I had already bought the CX.... (Am still stuck with it)

I built it over a period of 3-4 days, no big complications. Everything truned on when i hit the power button the frist time.

I hung onto to it, I was busy with school and couldn't benchmark it, after testing and learning about how the 970 Game reads CPU temps I realized that the thing would benefit from better cooling.

I convince my customer to allow me to get a H100I GTX, it was completely over Kill and unnecessary but look baller shoved into a spec-02 case.

So the night after I just put in H100

My buddy comes over, brings a monster energy drink with him. You can see where this is going with two teenage boys...

My friend places has half empty drink above the computer on my keyboard pull out....

I start f'ing around with him....

It falls

It went right into the top vent of the SPEC-02, with the PC running.

I luck out and give my mobo a 99% isopropyl alcohol bath and it still works afterwards!

After putting all the overclocks on it, I stress test it with Valley benchmark and prime95 in the background. Stress test it for over an hour and it passed!

I deliver it to a happy customer afterwards he gets 200fps in CSGO...

God I miss it...

Am unable to buy a PC for my self....

I only have $300 Canadian to my name, and am 17yo, nobody wants to hire me for a part-time job....

On-top of that I live with a disable mother, she is crippled by Spina Bifida, cannot work or drive, she cant do much of anything due to pain....

Ffs, am sick of being stuck in the same place day after day...

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

I can't remember the first full build... Most have been rebuilds or tweaks. I'll just go with my old one that had a Sempron 145. It went well, other than the motherboard being a turd and the 6570 literally catching on fire.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My first Custom computer started about 2 years ago with a dell insperon desktop with a upgrade to a 6570 and a cx430, than two hardrives and a used POS case later i got a asrock 970 extreme 3 that was DOD and a fx6300, months later i finally got a 7770ghz edition from ebay and a 212 evo, than back in september i got a HAF 912 and a 1tb hard drive, so my build is complete :)

I can't remember the first full build... Most have been rebuilds or tweaks. I'll just go with my old one that had a Sempron 145. It went well, other than the motherboard being a turd and the 6570 literally catching on fire.

good thing im done with mine

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Frist PC built (in sig) I call Red Fox.

Sadly it wasn't my PC, I built it for someone else that I meet online.

We agreed on the price and build. He sent me a interact e-transfer for the c$1,200.

Everything went pretty smooth. I did buy a CX psu, posted the build on LTT, ended up with a 12 II from SafeSonic out of my own pocket because I had already bought the CX.... (Am still stuck with it)

I built it over a period of 3-4 days, no big complications. Everything truned on when i hit the power button the frist time.

I hung onto to it, I was busy with school and couldn't benchmark it, after testing and learning about how the 970 Game reads CPU temps I realized that the thing would benefit from better cooling.

I convince my customer to allow me to get a H100I GTX, it was completely over Kill and unnecessary but look baller shoved into a spec-02 case.

So the night after I just put in H100

My buddy comes over, brings a monster energy drink with him. You can see where this is going with two teenage boys...

My friend places has half empty drink above the computer on my keyboard pull out....

I start f'ing around with him....

It falls

It went right into the top vent of the SPEC-02, with the PC running.

I luck out and give my mobo a 99% isopropyl alcohol bath and it still works afterwards!

After putting all the overclocks on it, I stress test it with Valley benchmark and prime95 in the background. Stress test it for over an hour and it passed!

I deliver it to a happy customer afterwards he gets 200fps in CSGO...

God I miss it...

Am unable to buy a PC for my self....

I only have $300 Canadian to my name, and am 17yo, nobody wants to hire me for a part-time job....

On-top of that I live with a disable mother, she is crippled by Spina Bifida, cannot work or drive, she cant do much of anything due to pain....

Ffs, am sick of being stuck in the same place day after day...

As soon as you said you had the Monster over the keyboard I cringed. 

Sorry about your situation bro, if you are a good person your luck will change you can count on that!

-matx

My first complete build I did my self is my current rig, 4930k oc to 4.6ghz, ausus x79 deluxe, evga 780ti sc, 500 gig samsung 840evo, 3tb seagate barracuda, 1 tb wd blue, 32 gigs gskill 1866mhz ddr3, haupuagge tv tuner card, asus bluray burner drive, 850w silverstone strider gold psu, corsair h100i with some noctua fans for it. I went all out, and I am glad I did, I push it to it's limit from time to time. I will be upgrading my graphics card soon, a few of the newer games I got are really taxing it if I put it on ultra settings. 

The next build I plan on is doing one for my wife early next year will be based around and i5, and donating her my 780ti when I upgrade my gpu since the games she plays are less demanding normally. I also want to do a low end am1 build for the kids, I don't trust them to spend more then a couple hundred on a computer.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

My first complete build I did my self is my current rig, 4930k oc to 4.6ghz, ausus x79 deluxe, evga 780ti sc, 500 gig samsung 840evo, 3tb seagate barracuda, 1 tb wd blue, 32 gigs gskill 1866mhz ddr3, haupuagge tv tuner card, asus bluray burner drive, 850w silverstone strider gold psu, corsair h100i with some noctua fans for it. I went all out, and I am glad I did, I push it to it's limit from time to time. I will be upgrading my graphics card soon, a few of the newer games I got are really taxing it if I put it on ultra settings. 

The next build I plan on is doing one for my wife early next year will be based around and i5, and donating her my 780ti when I upgrade my gpu since the games she plays are less demanding normally. I also want to do a low end am1 build for the kids, I don't trust them to spend more then a couple hundred on a computer.

Nice and yeah I wouldn't spend more then 300-400 for a kid I mean Minecraft isn't exactly demanding lol :)

-matx