What was your first computer?

xserd

As soon as you said you had the Monster over the keyboard I cringed.

Sorry about your situation bro, if you are a good person your luck will change you can count on that!

I highly doubt it.

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

As soon as you said you had the Monster over the keyboard I cringed.

Sorry about your situation bro, if you are a good person your luck will change you can count on that!

I should send you a pic of my house

, looks like a horders place....

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

Nice and yeah I wouldn't spend more then 300-400 for a kid I mean Minecraft isn't exactly demanding lol :)

yeah, the sad part is the the 13 yr old is the most accident proned/careless one, the 10yr old will probably be the most responsible with it, the 8 year old  has a bad habit of deleting things when it makes her mad on her tablet so I will have to watch her lol. I got a psu, hd, keyboard, mouse and monitor already, so I have about $270 planned on the rest of the stuff to get for it.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Well, my first build was on 2004, but I had professional help, so I guess may not count as much. Later on on 2008 I made one by myself. Wasn't stressful overall, made some choice mistakes that I later regreted but eventually came around it. Most stressfull thing: learned how to apply thermal paste (I still get criticezed the way I do it, but works for me).

yeah, the sad part is the the 13 yr old is the most accident proned/careless one, the 10yr old will probably be the most responsible with it, the 8 year old  has a bad habit of deleting things when it makes her mad on her tablet so I will have to watch her lol. I got a psu, hd, keyboard, mouse and monitor already, so I have about $270 planned on the rest of the stuff to get for it.

The 8 year old sounds hilarious!! hahaha

-matx

First PC i built had an Athlon 64 X2 2400+ with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB HDD. Ran Ubuntu for 2 years before I built my APU machine. Now it sits in my closet.

The 8 year old sounds hilarious!! hahaha

She deleted minecraft off her tablet several times because it made her mad. She has Autistic spectrum dissorder it doesn't take much to upset her at all.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

First build huh? My first from scratch PC was one I made for my mother for mothers day a few years ago. Real simple AMD A8 5600 I think, 500GB HDD which has since been replaced by a 120GB SSD.

If you include tinkering then my first build was my first PC. Pent2 thing, had that for like 6 years.

-アパゾ

I should send you a pic of my house

, looks like a horders place....

If it is any comfort you and I are practically one and the same. I live in a house that looks like a hoarding area. The house itself is infested with mice/rats and if it isn't that it's bees. I am 19 and have yet to succeed at achieving any part-time job. I am somewhat luckier than you in that my mother only has a knee injury and my father, well, we never know if he has early Alzheimer's or not due to his personality.

My father pays the bills by tutoring after he got laid off from his Graphic Design job last year. My parents are barely able to pay for me to go to college for two semesters. I have qualified for no financial aid of any kind, no scholarship, nothing.

I am majoring in Computer Science at my county's college but due to any lack of work I have been forced to turn to online ways of finding a job. This started with the idea to build a computer for it. One that I could do some Youtubing (but no real editing with an i3) on as well as other work. I bought the parts this past Black Friday,  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j2g4cf (prices are with tax and shipping costs, $50 in rebates are not deducted because with my luck they'll get rejected). The CPU is on back order at Superbiiz with no ETA and every single other part has arrived and is sitting on my desk. 

My current computer is just a $300 ASUS Transformer Tablet that can do web browsing well but lags just when editing any java file in Eclipse. Might have something to do with Z3775 and 2GB Memory and being a year and a half old...

...I use a flipphone. No smartphone for me. Everyone else I know has one... sigh...

I plan to find work dog sitting, tutoring, in addition to my own blogging and Youtubing to bring in SOMETHING. I have tried numerous giveaways to try to at least win something... no dice.

I live each and everyday wondering if it is a lie. Wondering if everything I'm working towards is going to come crashing down. I may never actually finish my degree if I don't take loans and if I take loans I may take even longer to pay them back...

...and did I mention that I don't have a license, permit, insurance, etc.? I am on Medicaid Health Insurance. 

Meanwhile, I'm helping my classmates in various classes with their assignments before I even do my own. I start essays at Midnight the day they are due just to get an A when I hand it in the same day. I like girls and they like me back but I can't have a girlfriend because I don't have financial stability... 

My whole life is stable from the outside to others because I basically put on an act of emotional and financial stability. In fact if anything is stable it is only intellectually. My parents try to act like nothing is wrong but then if anything does go wrong all hell breaks loose.... 

It could all come crashing down like a pile of cards at any second, and I never know when it will happen. I passed a car on the way to school today... it was flipped upside down in the middle of the road blocking traffic. A family of four was watching as police stopped traffic so workers could carefully move it onto a truck to tow it away..

...and a diner in my area burst into flames a couple years ago. What if that happened to my house? With all the hoarding it would spread like crazy and I would lose everything...

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

She deleted minecraft off her tablet several times because it made her mad. She has Autistic spectrum dissorder it doesn't take much to upset her at all.

Dang, I gotta brother like, they get feisty lol :) 

-matx

If it is any comfort you and I are practically one and the same. I live in a house that looks like a hoarding area. The house itself is infested with mice/rats and if it isn't that it's bees. I am 19 and have yet to succeed at achieving any part-time job. I am somewhat luckier than you in that my mother only has a knee injury and my father, well, we never know if he has early Alzheimer's or not due to his personality.

My father pays the bills by tutoring after he got laid off from his Graphic Design job last year. My parents are barely able to pay for me to go to college for two semesters. I have qualified for no financial aid of any kind, no scholarship, nothing.

I am majoring in Computer Science at my county's college but due to any lack of work I have been forced to turn to online ways of finding a job. This started with the idea to build a computer for it. One that I could do some Youtubing (but no real editing with an i3) on as well as other work. I bought the parts this past Black Friday, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j2g4cf (prices are with tax and shipping costs, $50 in rebates are not deducted because with my luck they'll get rejected). The CPU is on back order at Superbiiz with no ETA and every single other part has arrived and is sitting on my desk.

My current computer is just a $300 ASUS Transformer Tablet that can do web browsing well but lags just when editing any java file in Eclipse. Might have something to do with Z3775 and 2GB Memory and being a year and a half old...

...I use a flipphone. No smartphone for me. Everyone else I know has one... sigh...

I plan to find work dog sitting, tutoring, in addition to my own blogging and Youtubing to bring in SOMETHING. I have tried numerous giveaways to try to at least win something... no dice.

I live each and everyday wondering if it is a lie. Wondering if everything I'm working towards is going to come crashing down. I may never actually finish my degree if I don't take loans and if I take loans I may take even longer to pay them back...

...and did I mention that I don't have a license, permit, insurance, etc.? I am on Medicaid Health Insurance.

Meanwhile, I'm helping my classmates in various classes with their assignments before I even do my own. I start essays at Midnight the day they are due just to get an A when I hand it in the same day. I like girls and they like me back but I can't have a girlfriend because I don't have financial stability...

My whole life is stable from the outside to others because I basically put on an act of emotional and financial stability. In fact if anything is stable it is only intellectually. My parents try to act like nothing is wrong but then if anything does go wrong all hell breaks loose....

It could all come crashing down like a pile of cards at any second, and I never know when it will happen. I passed a car on the way to school today... it was flipped upside down in the middle of the road blocking traffic. A family of four was watching as police stopped traffic so workers could carefully move it onto a truck to tow it away..

...and a diner in my area burst into flames a couple years ago. What if that happened to my house? With all the hoarding it would spread like crazy and I would lose everything...

it just looks like it was too much stuff for the size of house we have. We don't have any kind of infestation, mice like to sneak in once and a while thanks to my 13yo friend/ neighbor has a bad habit of leaving doors open......

It just sucks seeing my mother in so much pain, wanting more but feeling like you can't go anywhere else.

At least I have a safe place and going to my father's place, he left my mother when I was a baby. Whatever I don't have any hard feelings over it, all I know is you get to live a normal life of a middle class family when I'm with him. Can drive anywhere I please cuz I have my license and he lets me use his truck, I get to play with old cars because he collects them is like 17 of them, he even gave me a 1973 El Camino.

It's not so draining seeing my mother not even beat me up and get up the stairs...

Seeing this video on computerphile made me wonder, what are the computers that members of this forum started out on?

Mine wasn't anything interesting really, I first used a PC in roughly late 2003 or early 2004, when my Dad got an Athlon x64 powered pre-built, with 1.5GB of Ram (In 1GB and .5GB sticks) a "creative" soundcard, and a floppy drive.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Good ol' Windows 3.1/DOS.

My first game was "Balloons" at 9 months old. 

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

I remember my PC I got first time was Windows 95 and it was like one of those PC's that the monitor and tower itself were combined. I had amazing times with that PC as I realised it had a built-in mic (no idea how) and it ended up recording my voice. From there, a lot of shenanigans happened ;D I can imagine the specs in it were shocking though... It was a Compaq PC though that's all I know!

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

Some old ass Mac... I don't remember much about it but I'm pretty sure it was from the earlier days of OSX.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

My first PC was one my parents bought from a co-worker of my dad. It ran windows 95. I had 4 CD's with educational games on it that I played every now and then. That didn't last long and I went without a PC for a few years until I was like 12. Then we bought a shitty laptop from a shitty store and I mainly played miniclip games and runescape.

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Windows vista *shudder* on a $300 tosh a laptop. Not bad, could run minecraft at 20fps.

- snip-

Some old Windows XP machine with a Pentium of some kind. I exclusively played Trackmania on it

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Windows vista *shudder* on a $300 tosh a laptop. Not bad, could run minecraft at 20fps.

Vista? Please, you should have tried XP. The log in screen brings back memories though:

O8LLNC2.png

inb4 someone comes in this thread and tells me I should try DOS or something :P

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Vista? Please, you should have tried XP. The log in screen brings back memories though:

O8LLNC2.png

inb4 someone comes in this thread and tells me I should try DOS or something :P

DOS? Come on now, you should be using the hoop and stick.

- snip-

I feel old now. First PC used would be Commodore BASIC, first shared PC with my brother ran DOS (monochrome screen and tape deck) - good old days.

This is excluding Atari as I wouldn't consider it a PC

Pretty sure that's the oldest computer we've had so far :D tell us Gramps, what was it like in the roaring twenties? :P

some really old apple machines I dont even know the name of in elementary school

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

The first computers I ever touched were BBC micro PCs at my Nursery school and the ones my friend Michael at the time had at his house, the one I actually used there being a 486 Apricot machine running Windows 3.1, played Doom on it quite a bit.

The first PC I owned was in the year 2000. A DX-2 486 @ 66MHz Apricot XEN-II PC, looked physically the same as my friends one except his had a sound card and speakers built into the case, mine didn't, so when we bought it second hand for £80.00, we bought an ISA sound card and a 48x CD drive to install in it. It had WIndows 95 on it and I basically stole a copy of Office for Win 95 from my primary school at the time. Only had a 500MB hard drive, so beyond a few DOS games and the OS/Office, I had nothing on it.

Lasted about a year before it had a fault which meant Windows 95 would no longer install, so we got a K6-2 @ 450MHz with 32MB of RAM & Windows 98. Upgraded the RAM to 64MB when we got ntl:world FREE internet because the dialler would not work with only 32MB of RAM (I later learnt how to add a connection manually using Dial-Up Networking).

When that eventually died less than a year into owning it, it went back and Dad got a Pentium III @ 750MHz, 128MB of RAM (plus the 32MB we put in the other machine IIRC), an nVidia TNT Riva 32MB GPU and a 17" monitor, I was in absolute heaven. We stuck with Dial-up internet for a long time because we were ntl customers, so their dial up was free. We added an extra phoneline to our home on this basis so that we could still make and receive calls.

I miss those days of computing. Everything was new to me and I loved every second - it was when I learnt a lot about backing up and fault finding.