AMD ZEN Chipset Specs

Ryujin2003

Just switched from fx 8320 to skylake i5 6600k and wow my bottlenecks are now days of the past my worlds changed now. As AMD does with every release they too once again will dissapoint. Remember when they said rx 480 will have 980 level performance? Except every gtx 980 gets to 1450mhz and then at that speed it utterly craps on 480? Yeah and then we realized its the same as an overclocked 970 and everyone was like yeah hype train derailed. Thats whats gonna happen with zen

7 minutes ago, Zeeee said:

Just switched from fx 8320 to skylake i5 6600k and wow my bottlenecks are now days of the past my worlds changed now. As AMD does with every release they too once again will dissapoint. Remember when they said rx 480 will have 980 level performance? Except every gtx 980 gets to 1450mhz and then at that speed it utterly craps on 480? Yeah and then we realized its the same as an overclocked 970 and everyone was like yeah hype train derailed. Thats whats gonna happen with zen

Except they never said that?

28 minutes ago, Sreno1 said:

I mean right now AMD CPU's are basically a non-competitor to Intel.

yeah that's a good point, because their crappy CPUs still sell.  There will be room for AMD at the bottom end of the market even if Zen is nothing special in the high end.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

200 watts, damn how is that any better than an i5 and a 1060? Seems quite stupid. I think best you can get out of an APU will be 460 or slightly worst.

nah, they already DO have above 460 perf in PS4 OG... PS4 Pro is already nearing Reference 970 / 470 perf.

42 minutes ago, Zeeee said:

fanboy h4t3r detected.

Please everybody, remain calm, aslong as we do not anger it too much, it wont hurt us

4 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

I wonder though...  If Zen sucks, should AMD really still be in the CPU business?  There are other players in the processor market that could easily expand to desktop and laptop CPUs.  Samsung has already shown interest in purchasing AMD.  It's not like there would be a monopoly if AMD went under.  Somebody else would enter the market very quickly.

I sincerely hope Zen is everything we want it to be.  If it's awesome I'll probably buy it.  But if it sucks, I'm not going to cry for AMD.

If someone else enters the CPU market they won't have the x86 licences and would have to use arm or their own system for that which would be annoying to software engineers and consumers

5 hours ago, YongKang said:

YES!!! Don't have to pay to Intel for overclocking. Please Zen, be great and slap Intel a good one. I still a bit worried with the RAM speed though. It looks like they are going to limits it to 2400. 

It'll be most likely how Intel do it, Their Official support speed isn't an actual limit just not official.

DDR4-1866/2133 but we both know you can get 3000mhz memory no problem. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

10 minutes ago, alexyy said:

It'll be most likely how Intel do it, Their Official support speed isn't an actual limit just not official.

DDR4-1866/2133 but we both know you can get 3000mhz memory no problem. 

4200MHz kits are a thing iirc...

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

4200MHz kits are a thing iirc...

My point the Official support is meaningless.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

6 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Wait.. Consoles with RX 480 performance?

Look at the specs of the PS4 pro...4.2Tflops, 36CUs...although only clocked at 900MHz~

So maybe a little less power than a RX470? :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, Zeeee said:

Remember when they said rx 480 will have 980 level performance?

People hyped it up when AMD themselves never said 980 performance...

2 hours ago, Zeeee said:

ust switched from fx 8320 to skylake i5 6600k

Ah yes, that's like comparing a Pentium 4 to a Phenom 2 :P 

Also, the 8320 can beat the i5 6600K at certain tasks, gaming isn't one of them (as still 80% of games only use like 1-2 cores)...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Ok. If AMD does Zen right (Haswell performance, 4 true cores 8 threads for less than a 4790K), then I'll recommend that my friend gets something from the lineup to upgrade from the i5 4440 in the rig I loaned him (which is the rig that I bought at the start of 2014)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Ok. If AMD does Zen right (Haswell performance, 4 true cores 8 threads for less than a 4790K), then I'll recommend that my friend gets something from the lineup to upgrade from the i5 4440 in the rig I loaned him (which is the rig that I bought at the start of 2014)

With a reasonable pricing, I could see a lot of people getting into PC gaming without paying a premium for overclocking.

Time to wait for their release and reviews.

2 minutes ago, YongKang said:

With a reasonable pricing, I could see a lot of people getting into PC gaming without paying a premium for overclocking.

Time to wait for their release and reviews.

TBH my friend wouldn't be overclocking much if at all. But I could at least use my Coolermaster Eclipse again (or my stock FX 8350 cooler) in his rig-that thing can handle a Xeon X5450 at 4.4GHz 1.4V without any problems, so 14nm Zen (without Haswell's love it-hate it FIVR) should be cooled quite well.

PMSL

6 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Wait.. Consoles with RX 480 performance?

6TFlops is just over the Rx 480's stock clock theoretical peak, so yes.

6 hours ago, YongKang said:

YES!!! Don't have to pay to Intel for overclocking. Please Zen, be great and slap Intel a good one. I still a bit worried with the RAM speed though. It looks like they are going to limits it to 2400. 

Just like Intel "limits" its memory speeds to 2133?! Also, Lisa Su said she didn't want AMD being known as the cheap brand. You people are really in for a rude awakening when these 8-cores come out for $800.

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

200 watts, damn how is that any better than an i5 and a 1060? Seems quite stupid. I think best you can get out of an APU will be 460 or slightly worst.

That's just a bit over the TDP of the PS4's package.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I'm aware yet how many years ago was that? Sure the performance we're talking about is nearly double but I still think AMD should be better at power consumption by now and they really aren't: A pascal mobile chip and a low power intel 4 core still spends way less power and still outperforms it, I don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor to insist on an SoC on this level of performance and TDP

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Just like Intel "limits" its memory speeds to 2133?! Also, Lisa Su said she didn't want AMD being known as the cheap brand. You people are really in for a rude awakening when these 8-cores come out for $800.

16 thread CPU TBH really won't have any use inside most rigs-even now my 4790k isn't heavily used outside of the usual rendering, video editing and Skyrim LOD generating, so I can see 4 core Zen doing far better-especially if i5 get rekt in pricing by it.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

TBH my friend wouldn't be overclocking much if at all. But I could at least use my Coolermaster Eclipse again (or my stock FX 8350 cooler) in his rig-that thing can handle a Xeon X5450 at 4.4GHz 1.4V without any problems, so 14nm Zen (without Haswell's love it-hate it FIVR) should be cooled quite well.

At least it's there and it's free performance. :)

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

The mainstream Zen will come out next year. Q4 2016 is mainly for high end CPU + mobos.

2 minutes ago, YongKang said:

The mainstream Zen will come out next year. Q4 2016 is mainly for high end CPU + mobos.

I don't normally purchase 1st Gen processors. But when I do, it's Zen.

1 minute ago, YongKang said:

That free performance when the rig originally had a Xeon X5450 came at the cost of heating up his bedroom (yes, the Xeon could actually do that at 4.4GHz, its base TDP was 120W at 3GHz.....), so its not always a good thing. Though on the bright side, an i5 4440's only advantage was power consumption+heat.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Same. I was waiting for a long time to see something worthwhile and not wallet breaking to dab into PC building. My old laptop have served me well for the last 8 years. I think it should handle school work and basic tasks while this new desktop handles the heavy lifting.

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That free performance when the rig originally had a Xeon X5450 came at the cost of heating up his bedroom (yes, the Xeon could actually do that at 4.4GHz, its base TDP was 120W at 3GHz.....), so its not always a good thing. Though on the bright side, an i5 4440's only advantage was power consumption+heat.

Well, your friend now might have to pay some bills during the winter since Zen might not heat up his room like the old CPU did. (My laptop heats my room hahahaha)

11 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

16 thread CPU TBH really won't have any use inside most rigs-even now my 4790k isn't heavily used outside of the usual rendering, video editing and Skyrim LOD generating, so I can see 4 core Zen doing far better-especially if i5 get rekt in pricing by it.

It won't be rekt in price, and even if it was, Intel can just drop prices in response.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, YongKang said:

Well, your friend now might have to pay some bills during the winter since Zen might not heat up his room like the old CPU did. (My laptop heats my room hahahaha)

Ditto on the laptop (2010 laptop aren't actually useable on laps).

PMSL

11 minutes ago, YongKang said:

This is a custom SOC for consoles, not desktop or server.