Why do people still play on consoles?

IAEInferno

I used to mainly play console because of plug and play, also if your friends are on console and you want to play with them, why not go therre yourself i stead of convincing your friends to shell out more for a pc, also most households have some pc where you can do school/work on these days

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

@IAEInferno

So I post two trailers of exclusive console games because that's basically the entire argument. Thread not needed, obvious answer is obvious. And you then quote me and say....... nothing. It's almost like you had some massive rebuttal planned but instead just said nothing. Because there is nothing to say.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

1 hour ago, skywake said:

@IAEInferno

So I post two trailers of exclusive console games because that's basically the entire argument. Thread not needed, obvious answer is obvious. And you then quote me and say....... nothing. It's almost like you had some massive rebuttal planned but instead just said nothing. Because there is nothing to say.

Keep believing that and maybe someday in your dreams, consoles would be superior to pc.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

2 hours ago, IAEInferno said:

Keep believing that and maybe someday in your dreams, consoles would be superior to pc.

What makes you think I was making an argument for either side? You asked a simple question and I replied with two trailers for a couple of console exclusive releases. That's why people still play games on consoles. And if you're buying a console to play that exclusive game? For some people that's enough.

And you know what? I have a decent enough gaming PC. I have absolutely zero interest in the PS4 and XBOne. You can rattle off all the reasons why PC gaming is better and I'll be here nodding my head. Even as a Nintendo fan I can whine about the Wii U and 3DS. The the lack of cloud saves, the lack of power. The way that digital purchases are kinda semi-tied to the device and the average I/O. The lack of discounts compared to what you get on PC. You can rant about that to me and you'll be preaching to the choir. 

But when there's a big Nintendo exclusive on the horizon? Who cares! My PC is worth approximately jack if Zelda is the game that I want to play. And for people who are into other franchises that are console exclusives it's the same deal. So I don't see what the big question is. It's obvious why people still play games on consoles. And frankly I think you asking the question makes you look pretty small. Why do you need people to validate your choice of platform? Are you that insecure?

21 minutes ago, skywake said:

@IAEInferno

You talk too much and assume a lot of things that don't make sense, not gonna take you seriously now.

blocked.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

New thread question.

Q: Why do most people not feel the need to belittle people because of the particular platform they play games on?

A: Because most people don't give a shit. Because games are toys, you're not bigger because you have a more expensive one

Why do I still play consoles?  Because a laptop remains far larger than a 3DS or Vita, and touchscreen controls make the baby Jesus cry.  

Also not entirely sure about consoles being "better" thanks to "plug and play."  I mean... a pre-built PC is plug and play, right?  Or are we counting steam installation as part of inconvenience?  At the end of the day... I'll support both consoles and PC because it's just more fun that way. 

I used to prefer my DSi over my PC, as I mostly just played Pokemon, and my Intel HD 4000 wasn't 'great'...

And yes, I know, I can play them on emulators, but there aren't any physical controls, no portability, and terrible pixel density

On 9/23/2016 at 7:50 AM, IAEInferno said:

Just wanted to know since there are a lot of benefits when you play on the PC.

On 23/09/2016 at 1:57 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

For someone who has $300 to spend, telling them that it's cheaper in the long run really doesn't mean anything. They still don't have $1000 to blow on a powerful PC. Many people play only one or two games, so the cost of retail discs isn't a big deal for many. 

Also, not everyone is willing to become a criminal to get stuff for free. 

EDIT: As a side note, the PCMR and general "better than thou" attitude of the PC community really annoys me. Both have benefits and it really doesn't matter which one is better. 

I couldn't agree more... I hate this PC master race type shit. I have several powerful PCs, but still prefer to game on console most of the time. One of the main reasons for me is that I like the controller on the PS4, especially that it has a headphone jack built in. I know I can use the controller on PC, but I like to game on my beanbag etc.. anyway long story short I prefer PS4 as it's easier in some ways. I do use PC for some games, but usually more for strategy type games like civ. I am fine with gaming at 1080p upscaled on my 4k TV for now... it works fine and at least there's a level playing field for the most part. I am jumping ship from sony though when the scorpio comes out maybe, looks damn fine spec especially with the UHD bluray player.

I also think that for some people a console would be more suitable, not trying to be mean, but so many threads online about troubleshooting PC gaming. Some people jump into PC gaming that practically know nothing about PCs, which is fine... but when they have a problem they don't know how to do anything. Again, that is fine IF they are prepared to put in time and effort learning how to fix certain problems and troubleshooting them. A console would really be better suited for the ones that can't be bothered fixing it themselves, else they'll be spending many more hundreds of dollars getting someone else to fix it.

I know I'm probably not explaining it very well, but I mean no disrespect to anyone, just that there's a lot of things that can happen with a PC and people sometimes seem like they want everything handed to them and don't want to put in the work learning. I am the same about some things I admit, so no judgement here... just saying a console would be more suited, turn it on, pop the game in and start playing.

(edit) Oh, forgot to add that it doesn't matter what you play on really.. we're all gamers and that should be enough to block any hate.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

People play on consoles because they want to. I don't understand why there's such an issue with this. If someone wants to play games on a console instead of a PC, why does it matter to you? Why are you so concerned about it?

In all seriousness, I have consoles for the games that don't exist on the PC.

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

• 2 weeks later...

I play both ways

I like consoles because its easier to build a collection of games that will still work in a decade or two when most PC games bought the same time might barely be playable (if playable at all) on newer systems and OS versions - I have a shelf full of PC games from the win 9x days that are pretty much useless now while I can still fire up my old PS1 games any second and load the savegame I created years ago.

try doing that on PC where most savegames not stored in some cloud will not survive a drive or OS upgrade

yes there are tools to back these up but I don't have any data on how good they really work - I have tried backing up resident evil 5 saves (before it went steam with cloudsave) and it was a nightmare !

only things that probably won't age well are ingame DLC and other stuff that does not come on a physical media (nintendo already shuts down the online stores for old consoles one after another and i fear the day sony and microsoft will follow this model)

online-only games will also be rendered useless once all the servers shut down so I don't buy those on consoles at all - specially if it requires a paid subscription to play online (looking at you, xbox live!!1!11)

speaking of multiplayer: local multiplayer (split screen) is where console games shine - PC games are catching up quickly but the PCMR is not quite there yet

Consoles continue to provide a convenience and experience that PC gaming hasn't really gotten around to yet. For one, there isn't really a PC UI/UX that is controller friendly. Attempts have been made, but it still needs a keyboard/mouse at some point. Also most console gamers don't really care about the technical side all that much and those that do are just fanboys who make up the vocal minority. They just want to play games.

On 9/23/2016 at 5:57 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

For someone who has $300 to spend, telling them that it's cheaper in the long run really doesn't mean anything. They still don't have $1000 to blow on a powerful PC. Many people play only one or two games, so the cost of retail discs isn't a big deal for many. 

Also, not everyone is willing to become a criminal to get stuff for free. 

EDIT: As a side note, the PCMR and general "better than thou" attitude of the PC community really annoys me. Both have benefits and it really doesn't matter which one is better. 

This is why I blew up on them and decided to take a weekend off. And I didn't bother to check the responses because I figured it was going to be nothing but armchair programmers telling me how software development works.

Because they are cheaper and it is guaranteed that games run on them. 

On 9/23/2016 at 8:07 AM, Oshino Shinobu said:

The ability to obtain your games illegally? Fantastic. Why would you pay for food when you can just steal it?

I hate people the pirate games and movies, its stupid. 

God of war, madden, uncharted, ZELDA, Mario bros, NO STEAM INSTALL,

And for your info I have 3gaming pcs, 3xPS3,,xbone1, xbone S, ps4, wii, wii u, New 3ds , 3ds xl, 2ds, ps vita, 2x360s

My screens are, Sammy 65"curved 4k,  sharp 75" 4k, 2x lg ultra wide 34"

I play consoles because they have great games. PC GAMING IS GETTING BORING.

On 9/23/2016 at 6:55 AM, IAEInferno said:

Like what exactly? Isn't it cheaper to have a powerful PC and buy discounted games on basically steam and any gaming site instead of a retail priced disk game? You can also pirate on the PC which basically makes any content free.

Pirating games is litterally the absolute worst thing you could use as a pro. Not only that, but PC gaming really isn't cheaper in the long run anymore. When companies such as Best Buy and Amazon have benefits where you vlcan get brand new and physical copies of games for 20% off, Sony and MS have sales for digital games that are litterally just as good as Steam sales (Not to mention that people overhype Steam sales to begin with. The games you get for 10 bucks aren't the latest games; stop acting like they are...), plus sites such as Humble bundle and Green man gaming are dipping into console sales as well; PC gaming is hardly any cheaper. You get better graphics, sure, but graphics don't equal better. There's great games on both. Consoles are easier to use, and people like that. And I'm sorry but the modified high/medium most console games run at isn't that much worst than Ultra on PC. It just isn't. You can like PC, that's totally fine. I'm just sick of the dumb, like seriously dumb and honestly kind of immature elitest attitude so many PC gamers have. We all love games, stop racking on each other. You're no better than any other system fanboy that just blindly hate what's not your box. 

Most individuals I talk to that game predominantly on a console like the fact that it is easy to setup, works mostly right out of the box, most of their friends are on that system, and the exclusives.

Myself, I game a little on the PC (I considering gaming a side benefit to the PCs I build), but usually game a lot on the consoles and handhelds I have because of the exclusives that garner my attention.  Of course I rarely buy anything on launch day, and wait out for several games to have released on a console before I buy a used one.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 9/23/2016 at 7:58 AM, TiberiusMoon said:

Consoles are for children that dont have much money/ know any better.

someone who doesnt know how to torrent, buy pc parts wont know these benefits if they were brought up to play on a console

I play the dreamcast for nostalgia

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

On 9/23/2016 at 9:13 AM, Sauron said:

As if there weren't physical copies for PC...

Sorry but a steam key doesn't count as a "physical copy".

I own a physical copy of KOTOR 2, and most of the C&C games, meaning I can sit there with 3 discs and play the game regardless of whether or not I have internet on that computer.

Also the reasons people play on console is for exclusives, ease of use and it's great for visitors right out of the box. It makes so much more sense for a person who doesn't care about computers, who doesn't want to sit at their cramped desk all day to play their game and would rather veg out on the couch. And don't say you can do the same thing on PC, mouse and keyboard fucking sucks on the couch, not all games support controllers, and not even all games that were console ports support controllers (LOOKING AT YOU MASS EFFECT).

51 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Sorry but a steam key doesn't count as a "physical copy".

I own a physical copy of KOTOR 2, and most of the C&C games, meaning I can sit there with 3 discs and play the game regardless of whether or not I have internet on that computer.

Also the reasons people play on console is for exclusives, ease of use and it's great for visitors right out of the box. It makes so much more sense for a person who doesn't care about computers, who doesn't want to sit at their cramped desk all day to play their game and would rather veg out on the couch. And don't say you can do the same thing on PC, mouse and keyboard fucking sucks on the couch, not all games support controllers, and not even all games that were console ports support controllers (LOOKING AT YOU MASS EFFECT).

Yes, a steam key counts as a "physical copy" in this scenario because on a console games aren't plug and play anymore either. 90% of the times there's a huge day one patch that forces you to download and install for hours before you can actually play. It also often takes longer than it would on a pc. And in the same pit falls ease of use, because frankly steam just works better.

99% of console games that were ported to pc support controllers, the rest are exceptions. I will give you that split screen games are a lot less common on pc, but that's about it. Exclusives are a void argument, they wouldn't exist if nobody bought consoles - and quantitatively speaking, there are a lot more exsclusives for pc than for all consoles combined. Of course if you really must have that one game then you don't have a choice, but that's not a very good thing, is it?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yes, a steam key counts as a "physical copy" in this scenario because on a console games aren't plug and play anymore either. 90% of the times there's a huge day one patch that forces you to download and install for hours before you can actually play.

Never had that issue with our Wii U *shrug*

Goes for consoles too, if you can't put in the disc and just play then it is no longer physical media. 

and quantitatively speaking, there are a lot more exsclusives for pc than for all consoles combined.

Shows how good they are eggsdee. I mean just look at PC marketshare.

Of course if you really must have that one game then you don't have a choice, but that's not a very good thing, is it?

Exclusivity allows things to work better given they're only on that standard hardware. The Wii U is weak but the exclusives are beautiful and fluid with great controls.

5 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Never had that issue with our Wii U *shrug*

Goes for consoles too, if you can't put in the disc and just play then it is no longer physical media. 

Shows how good they are eggsdee. I mean just look at PC marketshare.

Exclusivity allows things to work better given they're only on that standard hardware. The Wii U is weak but the exclusives are beautiful and fluid with great controls.

The wii u is the only console that still delivers on those fronts, but unfortunately it vastly underdelivers in a lot of other aspects. I'm pretty damn sure any modern pc could play mario kart as well as a wii u.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I am an IT specialist and I play on console. For a few reasons. One is that I have enough pc-fixing during the day, so when I come home, I don't want to fiddle with *.ini files, graphical settings etc. Yes, the games on PC are much cheaper, bur I've noticed last gen, that I didn't really come back to most games in my library. So I sell most of my used games once I get bored of them. I also buy them used. This way I loose no more than 5-10$ on each and 2 or 3 times I even managed to have a revenue on it ;) Also all the built-in options for easier voice chat or joining a lobby with friends (or borrowing games from them) make it more appealing.

Another thing is my wife, that wouldn't accept a desktop in our apartment :P and the good gaming laptop is twice the price of the desktop (or about 3-4 times the console cost).