What most needs to be improved in LMG Videos?

potatoproduction

What most needs to be improved in LMG Videos?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What most needs to be improved in LMG Videos?

• Content
    • Quality
    • Thumbnails
    • Length
    • Benchmarks
    • Titles

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

That last point is a bit of a pet peeve for me as well: You can't messure success in terms of total views, total add revenue, total subcription rates on a video, etc.

Even if the odd ball episodes are not the most successfull ever they're very important for retaining the audience imho: people can go anywhere to read the latest excel graphs on the newest flavor of gpu out. It's literally not special at all. If I keep coming back to LTT it's because I wanna see ridiculous stuff like putting a macbook air on a fucking sheet of iced water or Linus making everyone cringe by dropping a quadro gpu on the table or flatout shorting a server board, etc.

If it was just Luke standing in a screen saying "I get no fucking sleep so STFU and look at this benchmarks. Nvidia wins, call me a fanboy don't care bye, use square space and fuck off" why would I watch that?

Or the look on Linus' face when Raja dropped the first ever revealed RX 480? That was the happiest accident I've seen in a long time.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Sorry to say, that's the YT game. Interactions (That being comments, thumbs up, thumbs down, and subscribing), are probably the most important metric to YT. They never used to do that. But it makes a difference.

Hell even if you do nothing but downvote videos, you're still helping them more than not doing anything. Lots of people also just binge watch YT videos and don't think to thumbs up a video that they like.

Oh I just got shameful flashbacks of me staying up until 3 am watching every single episode of Epic Meal Time where MusclesGlasses was featured....not a single fucking like for the hours I spent there btw.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Or the look on Linus' face when Raja dropped the first ever revealed RX 480? That was the happiest accident I've seen in a long time.

What vid was that?

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Linus + priceless prototypes = instant comedy gold.

My favorite was "Oh I see they've bolted it to the table, smart!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

That last point is a bit of a pet peeve for me as well: You can't messure success in terms of total views, total add revenue, total subcription rates on a video, etc.

Even if the odd ball episodes are not the most successfull ever they're very important for retaining the audience imho: people can go anywhere to read the latest excel graphs on the newest flavor of gpu out. It's literally not special at all. If I keep coming back to LTT it's because I wanna see ridiculous stuff like putting a macbook air on a fucking sheet of iced water or Linus making everyone cringe by dropping a quadro gpu on the table or flatout shorting a server board, etc.

If it was just Luke standing in a screen saying "I get no fucking sleep so STFU and look at this benchmarks. Nvidia wins, call me a fanboy don't care bye, use square space and fuck off" why would I watch that?

Yeah, can't really argue against that. Fair point.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

What vid was that?

Right before the 4:00 minute mark, is where you want to start.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Linus + priceless prototypes = instant comedy gold.

My favorite was "Oh I see they've bolted it to the table, smart!"

I agree - Putting Linus in a room with priceless, irreplaceable one of a kind hardware, is just a good combination. Anytime he's at PAX or another show, and is just hand-handling a $3000 laptop with one hand, and you can see the look of horror from the Vendor staff in the background, is just good times.

They should review less mainstream stuff. I know everyone wants to know about new $processor but shit like reviewing basically unknown... Headphones, for instance would be awesome. 

- snip-

5 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

They should review less mainstream stuff. I know everyone wants to know about new $processor but shit like reviewing basically unknown... Headphones, for instance would be awesome. 

Definitely, some viewers would like that.

But you've got people in this very thread complaining about Headphone reviews in general, so other viewers would not like that.

Which is the basic problem. You can't please everyone. No matter which direction LMG goes in, someone is gonna be disappointed.

If you want headphone/ear bud reviews, I ran across a hi-fi webpage, they got everything there.

I forget the inter-web addy.

I certainly wouldn't mind more in depth reviews, especially of phones. Sadly, they are bad, and I mean quite bad. And more details and facts about stuff in general, like cases, CPUS and graphics cards. I don't expect a Guru3D or Anandtech review, but I wouldn't mind a bit more info (like the GTX 1060 review, which was horrible imo). One of the main reasons I really like when Brandon, Ed or Taran make reviews, they give their everything. I don't expect Linus or Luke to do it on all products of course. 

What I really like are their crazy projects which is their trademark, even vlogs, and some original videos, like 480 degradation and such. The last one was a nice surprise I'll be honest. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Personally I think the thumbnails need to be improved 

Thumbnails are important because they are what attract new people to the channel but i feel there thumbnails atm are not professional looking and sometimes downright cringy 

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

While you might prefer the unscripted nature, it allows them to be much more thorough.

Keep in mind, 99% of "old Linus" videos were unboxings. We got very little actual reviews, little to no benchmarks, etc.

As for the WAN Show articles, that's because most of the time, Linus and Luke don't have time to memorize all the details for 20+ articles. They script out the details so that Linus can "read through" all the important points of the article, without sitting there browsing an article, trying to find all the important bits in a few seconds.

The discussion that follows is still 100% unscripted. And Linus and Luke usually go off-script anyway when reading the article points, and the Sponsor Spots, on the WAN show.

The scripted nature of LMG does not bother me personally, as it allows them the potential to really go in-depth in things that Linus wouldn't be able to ad-lib.

I'll agree there. They've done that kind of stuff in the past. They even do it when reviewing laptops. They just need to write their reviews better, and use the equipment on hand more to their advantage.

Yeah. I know how it works. I don't like it.  They're just reading headlines and then reacting to it.  They haven't even read the articles let alone picked them themselves.  I don't care much for reaction videos.

The last few WAN shows have had a lot of off script.  Those parts have been pretty good.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Look you're not gonna get in trouble for legitimate criticism. If anyone attacks you for that, just report them to the Mods and ignore their posts.

The lame jokes, etc, I do not count that as "Video Quality". To me, that's Content Quality. But it's up to the way we define things.

In some of the recent videos Luke seemed pissed off. A LOT. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I also really enjoy longer crazy and fun videos like scrapyard wars(when is the next one), 10 gamers [2]cpus ,whole room water cooling, all the vlogs , the computer decoration series or whatever it was called and so on.

1 minute ago, Yoinkerman said:

Yeah. I know how it works. I don't like it.  They're just reading headlines and then reacting to it.  They haven't even read the articles let alone picked them themselves.  I don't care much for reaction videos.

The last few WAN shows have had a lot of off script.  Those parts have been pretty good.

The problem is that they don't have time to read the full articles, in most cases.

This at least gives them topics to talk about, and "react to", as you say. They can always choose to ignore a topic that's not interesting, or if they go off on some random tangent. But if they don't have anything prepared, then it can lead to some pretty terrible shows, because they can end up not having anything to talk about.

I wouldn't mind them bringing back Twitter Blitz though. The major issue with that is simply the time delay when streaming, so they have to ask Twitter a question, then waste 3-5 minutes while people reply, then go and check out the replies.

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

In some of the recent videos Luke seemed pissed off. A LOT. 

Hmm, in some of them, I think it's probably him being overworked and overly tired.

Could you link an example? (Put it inside a Spoiler tag, so people who don't care don't have to look at it)

Sometimes he gets pissed (esp during GPU reviews) because people keep calling him an NVIDIA fanboy.

Look you're not gonna get in trouble for legitimate criticism. If anyone attacks you for that, just report them to the Mods and ignore their posts.

The lame jokes, etc, I do not count that as "Video Quality". To me, that's Content Quality. But it's up to the way we define things.

Too many videos.... But i just remembered he looked pissed off in some of his reviews. His solo one. 

Also there was a travel vlog thingy, luke was not the one who's speaking, but he looked angry, in the background...

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I'm probably not the only one who REALLY, REALLY wants a build guide.

Plz @nicklmg @CPotter @Slick @LinusTech

(I'm not saying your current content is bad, I just want a classic 40 minute LTT build guide :D)

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

35 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I'm probably not the only one who REALLY, REALLY wants a build guide.

Plz @nicklmg @CPotter @Slick @LinusTech

(I'm not saying your current content is bad, I just want a classic 40 minute LTT build guide :D)

Is there a specific type of setup/components you'd like in that Guide? I personally only want them to create a new build guide if it's different somehow compared to previous guides.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Is there a specific type of setup/components you'd like in that Guide? I personally only want them to create a new build guide if it's different somehow compared to previous guides.

An updated budget guide

The Overkill build guide: New hardware edition

AMD Zen (and maybe Vega) build guide (when it comes out)

Budget video editing rig build guide

Overkill air cooling build guide

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

An updated budget guide

The Overkill build guide: New hardware edition

AMD Zen (and maybe Vega) build guide (when it comes out)

Budget video editing rig build guide

Overkill air cooling build guide

AMD Zen guide WILL arrive, assuming Zen isn't terrible that is :P

Have no fear that once Zen launches, we'll see AMD Zen videos left and right.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I agree - Putting Linus in a room with priceless, irreplaceable one of a kind hardware, is just a good combination. Anytime he's at PAX or another show, and is just hand-handling a $3000 laptop with one hand, and you can see the look of horror from the Vendor staff in the background, is just good times.

I can't wait till linus accully breaks one of the prototypes he drops 

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The problem is that they don't have time to read the full articles, in most cases.

This at least gives them topics to talk about, and "react to", as you say. They can always choose to ignore a topic that's not interesting, or if they go off on some random tangent. But if they don't have anything prepared, then it can lead to some pretty terrible shows, because they can end up not having anything to talk about.

I wouldn't mind them bringing back Twitter Blitz though. The major issue with that is simply the time delay when streaming, so they have to ask Twitter a question, then waste 3-5 minutes while people reply, then go and check out the replies.

If they can't care enough to read the articles before discussing them, how are they any better than watching the view?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers