Which is better to first learn? Automatic or Stick?

HK_Rage

I'm fortunate to have to opportunity of being able to learn both and I want to know which should I start learning first.

Manual. If you want to learn automatic you can just buy Dirt 3 and a steering wheel.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I'd say manual. Always good to know how to drive manual if you ever need to.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

standard is probably more important to learn. either way you will learn how to maneuver a vehicle and drive. but standard will make you more open to your options of what kind of cars you are able to drive. Standard is also more fun if you are looking for that, and almost always cheaper than an automatic.

Manual, definitely manual. There's nothing to learn about automatic other than start and stop (engage and disengage brake pedal). Trust me I learnt to drive a car with manual transmission from the start and have driven several cars with automatic transmission since. If you have a guy who can actually teach you you should have driving a manual down in less than 10 minutes. After that you may occasionally stall, but it's not really a problem and you will very quickly be over this as well. Bonus points as the door knob above mentioned, it's a lot more fun driving a car with manual transmission, you feel way more connected to the piece of machinery you're manoeuvring about.

I don't drive, but I'd say manual. Everyone over here seems to pick it up pretty easily. 

The way i learned is that i first learned to control a car in automatic and then learned with the stick, and i think it is a pretty solid method and in that way you are going  to ask questions about the stick system and not what to do in order not to crash, and i actually drive a manual car.

I say whatever is more common in your country.  But I personally would say stickshift as it helps you learn to control the car better 

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Manual; better to build up your driving skills as early on as possible, plus it opens doors for vehicles you'd be able to operate in the future. There's not much to an automatic anyways. In the end, as long as you learn proper car control you're golden.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Pretty much everyone first learns manual where I live and seems to be able to

switch to automatic very easily later on (such as myself, it's really not difficult),

whereas the other way around seems to cause people more trouble (mostly with

foreigners who come to live here and haven't learned to drive manual).

Concentrating on gear shifting etc. while driving at the same time comes naturally

with a bit of practice, you will barely even notice that you're shifting gears

manually after some time.

I should note though that if you do the driver's exam with an automatic where I

live you are not allowed to drive stick until you pass the driver's exam with a

manual, if that's not a factor for you then the incentive for learning manual

is naturally a bit smaller. But personally I just think any self-respecting

driver should learn manual, and learn it first (learn to walk before you learn

to run, or something like that ;)).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Manual - after about 10 hours you won't notice that you're driving a manual as your actions become automatic. Round where I live, if you only get your automatic license, you need to go do your test again if you want to drive a manual.

manual because then u arnt restricted to a car and manuals are generally cheaper to buy also it is alot funner driving manual.

Round where I live, if you only get your automatic license, you need to go do your test again if you want to drive a manual.

Nice to know we're not the only ones who do it like that. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

It's not useless to learn a stick shift, but tbh it's becoming more irrelevant everyday. It won't be long before cars, on a mass-produced scale, drive themselves and you just hit a destination and sit back.

Manual, cause drifting in an auto is fucked up when it changes gear and you regain traction. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

like everyone manual is just necessary you get it right and you can drive pretty much any car that is no bigger or longer that a suv after that things get a little hairy on maneuver deparment

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Also, how long does it usually take to learn how to shift smoothly?

Also, how long does it usually take to learn how to shift smoothly?

Depends how well you can adapt to it. Soon enough youll do it automaticly without even notice nothing.

And yes - manual as a start is best...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Go manual, and if you are in a hilly area practice hill starts as much as possible. After that auto will be a cake walk in comparison. 

Manual. It makes you feel the car

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Urrghhh auto, Yuck, Learn manual first. Auto is horid, I feel like im missing limbs when driving autos.

Nice to know we're not the only ones who do it like that. :)

Same applies to Finland. If you don't want your driving license to be restricted to cars with automatic transmission, you have to do the driving test with manual car.

I also would like to point out, that in Europe, manual cars are much more common than in USA and Canada. So don't be surprised if many europeans recommend driving on manual.

It's not useless to learn a stick shift, but tbh it's becoming more irrelevant everyday. It won't be long before cars, on a mass-produced scale, drive themselves and you just hit a destination and sit back.

That's still like 10+ years away. It's not likely that we see self driving cars anytime soon. Nobody is willing to use computer operated cars before they become extremely reliable. You have to remember that a single mistake or delay the pc does, might kill you.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

STICK!

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Manual first. You will become much more aware and sensitive on how your car behave as well as nuturing a good driving style. Most of the people I know who can only drive Automatic tends to have worse driving skills/manners for example they keep stepping on the brakes/throttle back and forth because they are not that sensitive on how fast the car goes/cruise and they tend to be much much more heavy footed.