U.S. Government Issues Official Note 7 Recall

Kozworth

The U.S. Government has officially recalled the Note 7 just weeks after the news broke of batteries catching fire.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/09/15/consumer-product-safety-commission-issues-an-official-recall-for-the-galaxy-note-7/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_switch-galaxyrecall-455pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory 

The U.S. government on Thursday moved to recall Samsung's highest-end smartphone -- an unprecedented move for the smartphone industry and one that delivers a severe blow to Samsung in its pursuit to become the world's premium smartphone maker.

A formal recall allows the U.S. government to do several things, including making it illegal to sell the devices or use them on airplanes.

It will be interesting to see how U.S. Officials will handle the situation moving forward, and what action they will take to insure public safety as a result of this decision.

they do realize it's not something that can really take out a plane, right? Like, it's only when fast charging and it's a tiny little burst of expansion, not a *boom*, and any fire would be minimal and easy to deal with. Any phone/laptop battery can be made to combust if you want it to, so if they're worried about it being used intentionally, there are much better ways than using a note 7 :P 

Seems like a rather gross overstep by the govt.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

5 minutes ago, Elerek said:

they do realize it's not something that can really take out a plane, right? Like, it's only when fast charging and it's a tiny little burst of expansion, not a *boom*, and any fire would be minimal and easy to deal with. Any phone/laptop battery can be made to combust if you want it to, so if they're worried about it being used intentionally, there are much better ways than using a note 7 :P 

Yeah, but the way society is, the moment something terrible happens that's a freak accident the gov't will be put in a noose for not doing this -_- 

Shipping sucks

3 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

Yeah, but the way society is, the moment something terrible happens that's a freak accident the gov't will be put in a noose for not doing this -_- 

But when they do it they make people like me upset, lol.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

8 minutes ago, Elerek said:

It could actually catch fire/explode even when not charging, people just assumed it was due to fast charging (or charging using the micro usb adapter) based on early reports, but Samsung themselves came out and said it could happen off charging too, that's why they issued the update 5 days ago to limit the battery to 60% only. 

And Samsung were working with the government on this, they wanted it to happen, so I wouldn't say it's an over step, even if it is unnecessary.

Thankfully Samsung have said the Note 7 will be back on sale, fully fixed, by the 21st at the latest, I think it's 19th in the UK, which is when I'll pick mine up :D

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

15 minutes ago, Elerek said:

Why take the chance? You can buy portable chargers with quick charging capabilities, and a lot of airlines will let you take on portable batteries with no hassle, and just think if one of those things goes up mid way across the atlantic or something, and the nearest airport is a good few hours away.

You have to understand that they don't do these things just because they might take a plane down, they do it to keep people safe. There's only so much the flight crew can do for something that needs proper medical attention.

Not to mention that they can go off when they aren't charging.

37 minutes ago, Elerek said:

Seems like a rat

You would be very surprised at how little it takes to start something big enough to take down a plane. Especially on flights such as long-haul trans-Atlantic flights which are hours from any land.

3 hours ago, Elerek said:

9SqPCFT.jpg

Samsung Note 7 explodes setting Jeep on fire: How to check your phone is safe

A little late on the draw, aren't they? I figured the government would jump on this. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Elerek said:

Still seems dumb for a company to ask the government to issue the recall for them...

Its the most effective way to do a recall, now my boss (who works with me at a cell phone repair store) will actually get his head out his ass and take this more seriously. Now people who are knowledgeable about technology won't be the only ones to know that there was such thing as a recall that was already going on by Samsung. Now they HAVE to comply. Its the smartest move ever and I think the government did it on their own and Samsung didn't really ask them for anything. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

2 hours ago, Elerek said:

Actually it is because they realize that a phone that catches on fire all by itself can indeed take out a highly pressurized oxygen rich tin can flying thousands of feet up in the air.  All that would need to happen is someones clothes or a seat to catch and the hold thing could light up as if there was kerosene everywhere.  Just because it would seem difficult based on our intuition of what we experience at ground level, does not mean that fire behaves the same in a planes cabin.  They can be far more extreme exothermic chemical reactions with the amount of oxygen in the planes cabin to fuel fires.

super quick googlefu'd vids to illustrate

3 hours ago, Elerek said:

Ever seen a LiPo battery fire? A lot of energy released from a small package. It's also a Class D fire (chemical/metal fire). Not some thing to mess around with. The most commonly found fire extinguishers are usually only good for class A, B, & C fires.

31 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Actually it is because they realize that a phone that catches on fire all by itself can indeed take out a highly pressurized oxygen rich tin can flying thousands of feet up in the air.  All that would need to happen is someones clothes or a seat to catch and the hold thing could light up as if there was kerosene everywhere.  Just because it would seem difficult based on our intuition of what we experience at ground level, does not mean that fire behaves the same in a planes cabin.  They can be far more extreme exothermic chemical reactions with the amount of oxygen in the planes cabin to fuel fires.

Reveal hidden contents

Airplanes are pressurized with normal air, and at a lower pressure than at sea level.

5 hours ago, Elerek said:

Still seems dumb for a company to ask the government to issue the recall for them...

the USA requires recalls to go though the CPSC. and Samsung didn't ask they did their own and that went against the policys of the CPSC

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I guess this recall is more official than the samsung official recall which is in turn more official than any retailer recall.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I guess this recall is more official than the samsung official recall which is in turn more official than any retailer recall.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

ouch the fall out from this will be huge is it just the note 7 or is the s7 affected too?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

8 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Reveal hidden contents

Quite a lot of innovations have been made in plane cabin design. Pretty much all the materials, including seats and carpets are made of fireproof materials. Cabin fires can usually be dealt with quite effectively and shouldn't spread. 

That said,  people really shouldn't be taking these on planes as they could cause burns to other passengers. Also people aren't really fond of exploding things on planes... 

2 hours ago, Joshlikescola said:

Quite a lot of innovations have been made in plane cabin design. Pretty much all the materials, including seats and carpets are made of fireproof materials. Cabin fires can usually be dealt with quite effectively and shouldn't spread.

True, however a vast number of the plans in service are older ones.  Though I suspect attention has always been paid to fire retardant materials in aerospace; clothes, luggage(contents) and, when hot enough, people are still fairly flammable; there's generally a lot of those within the cabin.

14 hours ago, Elerek said:

they do realize it's not something that can really take out a plane, right?

If the pilot has one it could take him out and then it might be a rocky ride.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

ouch the fall out from this will be huge is it just the note 7 or is the s7 affected too?

The CPSC has only issued the recall of the Note 7, there was another thread posted recently concerning an S7 Edge that did catch fire as well but that has been the only one reported that I have heard about.

The article lists that nearly 100 Note 7's have caused injury or damages in the U.S. alone.

"Samsung has received 92 reports of the batteries overheating in the U.S.," the agency said.  These include 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage — including fires in cars and a garage.

Well at least now the recall should be more publicise and well known to the majority of Note 7 owners. Good on Samsung I guess.

#Samsung4lyfe

Dang, I hate to see any technology company go through something like this. I'm an iPhone guy myself, but competition breeds improvement, which benefits all technology users.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor || CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ||

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 || Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 ||

Storage: Samsung EVO 250GB || GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card || Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ||

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Semi ATX || OS: Windows 10 || Wireless Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-1

17 hours ago, Elerek said:

You can't bring a pocket knife on a plane, do you think an explosive of ANY SIZE would or should be allowed? Planes are complex machines, the chaos that would ensue from a blowing phone (followed most likely by something being on fire) would put the plane and passengers at severe risk. it's not like people are just going to be like "oh look, a note 7 exploding. How quaint." and calmly take an extinguisher.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*