My Shit School PC

cahya003

I've always wondered why my high school has such decent computers, given that it's in a town only two square miles big.

Most of the PCs are this:

I5-4460

8gb ram

1tb HDD

1024x768 monitor

The art/programming PCs are:

I7-2600

16gb ram

AMD HD6450

1920x1080

`

My school doesn't do PCs, we just use Chromebooks. Everything is responsive enough on them to get your basic schoolwork done, so there's really no reason for me to complain. The only thing I can poke a hole in is the way they use them for testing. My school was none too impressed when I showed off a neat little vulnerability that let kids tab out of their test with no consequence.

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

Now just imagine when Linus's kid has to use a school or office PC.

From the outside looking in, Linus seems like a pretty level-headed dude.  He will probably teach his kids to be grateful for what they have, and not look at the world with a sense of entitlement and an "I'm better than you" attitude. 

Something tells me the OP won't be posting in this thread again. He signed in 17 hours ago, but I bet he won't say anything.  Unless he reads this "dare" and he becomes motivated to be contrary.  

17 hours ago, cahya003 said:

My PC school is a shit because it has the worst stuffs on the entire planet. Note: It has around 20 PC in 1 room

It has:

Intel Pentium E2160

A shit ASUS motherboard ( I don't know whats the name )

1GB RAM

320gb HDD

NO GPU

Shit Unbranded Power Supply ( 200-300w? )

No Name Case

Fake Windows 7 

1024 x 768 Monitor

Genius Keyboard & Mouse ( I don't know what series )

Fast internet for google but shit internet for download.

I want to complain to my principal school about this

Do you guys have any idea for the PC specs for school?

a whole gig, 768 monitor and fake windows, lucky. My old highschool (same computers, i have friends on the inside) have 512Mb, fake xp, and 600p crt monitors. thats what everyone but teachers (your specs are their level) the computer labs (only for computer classes and are the middle ground between ours), the reasoning being not enough in the computer budget. Yet the 6 Yearbook computers which are the most recent imac with max config, and regardless of whether it is the same model and config or not are sold at less than half to some other school and new ones are bought every 2 years. hmmm i wonder why our computer budget is shite.

Nothing to see here, move along

My school has decent PC's themselves (3rd gen i3 lenovo PC's), however, the login server(s) in general are pure garbage, it can take anywhere from 2-10 minutes just to get logged in. 

2 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

>kindergarten

>computers

what happend to the sandbox and duplo 

Duplo? Shit, we had wood blocks and those cardboard 'bricks.' :P

18 hours ago, cahya003 said:

My PC school is a shit because it has the worst stuffs on the entire planet. Note: It has around 20 PC in 1 room

It has:

Intel Pentium E2160

1GB RAM

320gb HDD

NO GPU

No Name Case

Fake Windows 7 

1024 x 768 Monitor

i'm sorry, what are they using the PC's for?

i know that in many many businesses thats about the spec you'd find for the grunt workers, I mean sorry, word, web forms, excel, some email client, it doesn't really take all that much power, hell, the PC at your local take away, or the retail POS computer specs will scare you in just how low they are too
(i doubt it would be fake windows, it might be some educational version)

it's a PC for work at school, fast internet is a bonus for researching your school work, 

I know in my high school, (which was many many years ago) they had a suite of "good" computers for those that needed the extra power that the 286's and 486's in other class rooms, or in the library, this was a poor cost and need thing, the other rooms honestly didn't need more than a 286 to run the programs, sure not the snappist but functional, 

but hey, first world problems 

18 hours ago, cahya003 said:

It has:

Intel Pentium E2160

1GB RAM

320gb HDD

NO GPU

No Name Case

Fake Windows 7 

1024 x 768 Monitor

My school has about 60% retired prison computers. All the desktops for students  have Pentium 4's or OLD core 2 duo's. Some crap HP motherboard for a prebuilt, Anywhere between 1-4Gb of RAM depending on your luck, no GPU, a unbranded PSU (I believe is 200W), a HP case, windows 10 or Ubuntu (Both run horribly), and all sorts of random monitors. I know how you feel, but government funding sucks

Breaking things 1 day at a time

When I was in high school, we had vintage 1980s computers that didn't even have hard drives. Our computer science teacher had figured out a way to make the PC think that its RAM was a hard drive, so they all had 64MB of proto-SSD storage xD

Towards the end of my senior year, they were finally replaced. I don't recall what they were changed out for, but whatever it was could pull down 30 FPS on Tribes 2 at 1024x768, so we were all stoked.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Why are you complaining about download speed? What are you trying to download and probably no gpu cause they don't want you people playing games on them, and how do you get a fake copy of windows? Its probably just now activated and where do you live?

When I went to middle school, we had power mac g5's in the class room and some beast pc's in the computer lab by 04-05 standards, and this was public school in some middle of nowhere town in Tennessee.
That said, school pc's aren’t meant to do much that would be useful on a normal basis like gaming or video rendering, they're meant for classes so they going to be weak unless the school has a big budget for tech.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

I have an old computer with those exact specs, same cpu, same 1gb ram, but with a 60gb hdd. Windows 7 64-bit is too slow to do anything. Even opening up a browser. I might upgrade to 2gb ram and see how it goes

I live in a fairly rich neighborliness with a school that does a lot of fundraising. We have a deal with mdg to get i7 6700 (non k) and 16 gigs of ram for the classroom pcs and the computer lab pcs are running on i5 6600k's (i Ocd them with my librarian) and hyper evo 212s with 8 gigs of ram. it's enough for photoshop and making animations and multiple tabs of chrome streaming at once

y'all need to be happy you even have computers in the first place...

i had several 'this should be done on a computer' classes that werent 'done on a computer' simply because the school didnt have any, and the ones they had were broken, the school was out of budget, and there was no other way.

Most school PCs are only meant to do web browsing and word processing so what you have will probably do fine.  If your school offers classes that require more powerful hardware (ex CADD classes or video editing classes) then you should say something to your principal

Just now, RoflWaffles02 said:

Most school PCs are only meant to do web browsing and word processing so what you have will probably do fine.  If your school offers classes that require more powerful hardware (ex CADD classes or video editing classes) then you should say something to your principal

i learned "CAD" on a piece of paper, be happy they even work :P

20 hours ago, cahya003 said:

It has:

Intel Pentium E2160

1GB RAM

320gb HDD

NO GPU

No Name Case

Fake Windows 7 

1024 x 768 Monitor

no gpu? then how do they attach a monitor?

I don't know the specs of our desktops off the top of my head, and there are several different types of desktops at our High School all running Windows 7 Pro from a VLK (That I happily borrowed the key for to get Windows 7 on some of my home computers). Firstly, in the Programming, and Graphic Design rooms there are Dell towers with some moderate clock speed quad-core Xeons. I am not sure if they are hyper-threaded dual cores or just quad-cores. If I remember correctly, they run at a respectable 2.4GHz or something in that range. They have 4 Gigabytes of RAM, and 6 DIMM slots(I've looked in the bios and noted that only 4/6 DIMMs are populated). Usually the HHDs are several hundred Gigabytes. The "work stations" usually have some sort of dedicated gpu, likely a Dell OEM part, but I've gotten some old Quadros from our school district that were in "work stations". PSUs, again, Dell OEM. As for peripherals, the higher tiered PCs get two monitors and some respectable full 104 key keyboards and a Dell mouse. However dirty and greasy they might be...

I've used the term "work station" several times in the paragraph above. This describes the computers that are in the Programming and Graphic Design rooms. Now for the plebeian desktops and laptops that are on laptop carts(so that teachers can check out computers for his/her class). The desktops in out Library are truly something else. First time log-ins to a computer in the library can take up to ten minutes sometimes. These computers are sporting some potato grade i-3s from before 2010, 2-4 Gigabytes of RAM, and absolutely wretched keyboards and mice. I'm talking grease, dirt and grime to a while new level of disgusting. The keyboards basically look as if they have a gloss plastic finish because of all the oils from peoples hands. The mice are now better.... While using these computers you will often be greeted with programs freezing, hanging, or crashing all together from lack of memory ans processing power. And don't even get me started on artifacting. Whooowe it's like Windows Internet Explorer for XP. As for the laptops, they are okay but they are by no means powerful. I am pretty sure that our laptops thermal throttle constantly.

With that being said, Our state and District have some crippling funding issues at the moment and can barely afford to do anything at all(This is not hyperbole, Kansas is in some shit right now). Our computers get the job done and that is good because some people don't have access to a computer or the Internet where they are so it is good that students can work on projects and whatnot even if they don't have a computer.

Complaining to your principal is just a waste of time. He/she not in control of the computers that your school system can afford nor can he do much to change anything about that. 

4 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Lol @themctipers

My school has i5 laptops and desktops, they also use virtualization on some of the desktops.

There is some Core 2 Duo machines but they're fine for what the school uses them for.

;-;

--

our schools now have upgraded to 2008 macbooks.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

;-;

--

our schools now have upgraded to 2008 macbooks.

xD

Better than the iMacs?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

xD

Better than the iMacs?

haha, those are iMac G5's with PowerPC.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

20 hours ago, cahya003 said:

It has:

Intel Pentium E2160

1GB RAM

320gb HDD

NO GPU

No Name Case

Fake Windows 7 

1024 x 768 Monitor

well, we used to use 

single core amd laptop with windows with 2gb of ram until this year (hopefully)

no sign of these laptops, most of us now can use macbook (2008, plastic) :)

also we run iMac G5s.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

While some places don't even have computer lab ... heard a school had to go local library to use it. Stop complaining, you are not paying for it, your parent are. You don't need new PC to run word and small application, probs the reason the school didn't upgrade is due to budget limits set by the school or states or the fact there is no points cause it still good for what it meant for.

It a school not a gaming house. 

Magical Pineapples

Lol this post has triggered a lot of people.

For good reason, but I sure did have a good giggle reading some of the responses