My Shit School PC

cahya003
8 hours ago, cragger89 said:

What spec do you think you need to launch Word and IE?

Moron.

To be fair, I kinda want to see schools that use Linux almost exclusively. Some of the computers in my schools won't run these quickly enough.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

The middle school where I studied still has the same machines they had back in 2004. 

They all have Pentium 3 CPUs with 128GB of RAM, but some have Pentium 4s with 256MB of RAM, HDDs vary between 15 and 30GB, and they all have CRT monitors.

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

8 hours ago, cragger89 said:

What spec do you think you need to launch Word and IE?

Moron.

Idk about you but when I was in high school we did more than just use Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer. I mean there are so many things that can be done on a computer related to education and limiting that to a few programs that aren't resource intensive is sad. This seems like a school funding issue. Too many highschools are underfunded these days. 

On 14-9-2016 at 10:27 AM, TheRandomness said:

i3-4170

Some Asus motherboard

1x8GB RAM

500GB to 1TB HDD

Some dodgy PSU

If you added an RX 460 it'd be a decent gaming machine. Temped to get some from school when they start replacing them, retrofitting them and selling them on eBay :P

if they have an i3-4170, they will probably not replace them any time soon, school computers are replaced every 10 years or so :/ (my school runs a combination of windows xp and 7 machines)

On 9/14/2016 at 6:47 AM, cahya003 said:

My PC school is a shit because it has the worst stuffs on the entire planet. Note: It has around 20 PC in 1 room

It has:

Intel Pentium E2160

A shit ASUS motherboard ( I don't know whats the name )

1GB RAM

320gb HDD

NO GPU

Shit Unbranded Power Supply ( 200-300w? )

No Name Case

Fake Windows 7 

1024 x 768 Monitor

Genius Keyboard & Mouse ( I don't know what series )

Fast internet for google but shit internet for download.

I want to complain to my principal school about this

Do you guys have any idea for the PC specs for school?

When I was in high school, I took an ROG G750 to school, with an i7-4710MQ, GTX 860M, 750GB HDD, 120GB SSD and 32GB DDR3L RAM it was basically the strongest thing even in the PC lab... Hell even beat the CAD PC and the schools servers. 

Yours faithfully

for the lolz: try to get some titan XP's they are ment for education after all.

if not, then idk, maybe ask for a better CPU and more RAM. just like an I3 would be fine, maybe add some more RX 460's in there, they don't need much power, everyone is so lucky, my school has a huge budget and they decide to go with 2011 imacs, i hate it, we all get ipads, i wish we got like surfaces instead, that would be awesome.

1 minute ago, supersm77 said:

if not, then idk, maybe ask for a better CPU and more RAM. just like an I3 would be fine, maybe add some more RX 460's in there, they don't need much power, everyone is so lucky, my school has a huge budget and they decide to go with 2011 imacs, i hate it, we all get ipads, i wish we got like surfaces instead, that would be awesome.

#surfaceloverclub :P 

2 minutes ago, supersm77 said:

The i3 460 combo would sound like a good setup for game design classrooms. However, enthusiasts who are more concerned with the graphics department may want more. I've seen a thread on r/ayymd where someone's systems had GTX 480s in their servers

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

My School's computers are pretty alright, I just blame the network admins for not doing as well as they probably could.  They block command prompt but Powershell is fully accessible, I first thought that maybe they had it accessible so they could run scripts on the machines. 

But then I realised they never ran any scripts.  They used a gui for everything, even a lot of the modern Windows Server operating systems and many of the Active Directory management tools use scripts to do things. I use Linux, I use my own laptop, but they really need to get better at managing a network.  They also have ports open, and while no services run on them that is also a bad thing, anyone can host a server from their own laptop because the school has holes in their NAT.  Seemingly, not on purpose. 

Last year I used to access things I wasn't supposed to with Powershell, like administrator directory which didn't give me write access but still read access. But after a while, I learned that all you can do is report it, know it and then if nothing happens it's best to leave it alone. Esspecially in a school environment.  

I just hope they see this.  And I hope they know it's me. I hope they see my packets flying through.  Normally I route my PC through a proxy at all times.  Not today.  I hope they know...  

everyone at my old school had ~$250 chromebooks that i wouldn't've payed $30 for

2 minutes ago, SecGuy said:

My School's computers are pretty alright, I just blame the network admins for not doing as well as they probably could.  They block command prompt but Powershell is fully accessible, I first thought that maybe they had it accessible so they could run scripts on the machines. 

But then I realised they never ran any scripts.  They used a gui for everything, even a lot of the modern Windows Server operating systems and many of the Active Directory management tools use scripts to do things. I use Linux, I use my own laptop, but they really need to get better at managing a network.  They also have ports open, and while no services run on them that is also a bad thing, anyone can host a server from their own laptop because the school has holes in their NAT.  Seemingly, not on purpose. 

Last year I used to access things I wasn't supposed to with Powershell, like administrator directory which didn't give me write access but still read access. But after a while, I learned that all you can do is report it, know it and then if nothing happens it's best to leave it alone. Esspecially in a school environment.  

I just hope they see this.  And I hope they know it's me. I hope they see my packets flying through.  Normally I route my PC through a proxy at all times.  Not today.  I hope they know...  

if they caught you running a proxy on a school pc at my highschool they would've had the right to expel you (dumb, i know.) I also found a bunch of shit i shouldn't have had access to, but i didnt dare speak up in fear of facing criminal charges. That school district was really dumb, im glad i'm out of highschool.

41 minutes ago, Lord_Doge said:

if they caught you running a proxy on a school pc at my highschool they would've had the right to expel you (dumb, i know.) I also found a bunch of shit i shouldn't have had access to, but i didnt dare speak up in fear of facing criminal charges. That school district was really dumb, im glad i'm out of highschool.

Oh yeah, they would've probably expelled me too if I used a proxy on a school PC, I use one on my own PC on the school network though, All my school does is legally threaten people and never do anything about it. 

I hate those people and admins who are so arrogant that they will expell or legally hurt people who report bugs, vulnerabilities or show talent in Computing and IT.  The admin simply asked me to email him the vulnerability; which I did.  The problem is that he never did anything about it, I think it's one of those times where maybe he doesn't know how to fix it, and just leaves it, or understands it's a vulnerability but can't be bothered. 

I understand the mentality, but ignoring vulnerabilities even in a school network is a recipe for disaster.  The best way to be an admin in my mind is to be open to criticism.  Because after studying HCI for a little, I know that if they admin pen-tests thier own network they will not get far.  But if an external person attempts to break into the network then they will get further.  Because they do not understand the security, do not anticipate or expect anything.  

Or in other words, the Burglar will find the open hole before the owner does. 

1 hour ago, SecGuy said:

Oh yeah, they would've probably expelled me too if I used a proxy on a school PC, I use one on my own PC on the school network though, All my school does is legally threaten people and never do anything about it. 

I hate those people and admins who are so arrogant that they will expell or legally hurt people who report bugs, vulnerabilities or show talent in Computing and IT.  The admin simply asked me to email him the vulnerability; which I did.  The problem is that he never did anything about it, I think it's one of those times where maybe he doesn't know how to fix it, and just leaves it, or understands it's a vulnerability but can't be bothered. 

I understand the mentality, but ignoring vulnerabilities even in a school network is a recipe for disaster.  The best way to be an admin in my mind is to be open to criticism.  Because after studying HCI for a little, I know that if they admin pen-tests thier own network they will not get far.  But if an external person attempts to break into the network then they will get further.  Because they do not understand the security, do not anticipate or expect anything.  

Or in other words, the Burglar will find the open hole before the owner does. 

Keep in mind my school has a football coach teaching computer apps. The textbook we had was so out of date that i failed many of the tests...

The IT guy (we had only one in a school of about 800 kids) was only about as knowledgeable as a talented 13 year old who uses google to solve his problems (except that the it guy would rather let stuff stay broken than google a fix.)