Apple Announces the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

How is the 3.5mm jack stopping anything?

I have absolutely no idea how anyone can even say the 3.5mm headphone jack is outdated. Can anyone give me valid reasons why it is outdated? Can anyone give me legitimate reasons why it is holding us back? I challenge you Apple fanboys to justify this retarded move.

As far as I'm concerned, this reaction alone is a worthwhile reason for Apple to have dropped the port. If it upsets you so much because it affects YOU so negatively, then you don't have to buy it. There are plenty of other options and the previous iPhone versions are still for sale. There's no need to rage over something that you don't agree with. 

I only use one pair of headphones with my phone, as such having to use a lightning adapter is no less convenient for me. I never charge my phone while listening to music, as such the lack of two distinct ports isn't an issue for me. So, with the potential that this drives wireless headphones forward and/or leads to new features in wired headphones (fitness tracking, etc...) then I'm fine with it. For example, having a fitness tracker that I would NEVER need to charge would be nice....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

As far as I'm concerned, this reaction alone is a worthwhile reason for Apple to have dropped the port. If it upsets you so much because it affects YOU so negatively, then you don't have to buy it. There are plenty of other options and the previous iPhone versions are still for sale. There's no need to rage over something that you don't agree with. 

What kind of stupid logic is that? It will affect me because retards will buy this shit up and think it is the best thing ever just because it's Apple, and then other manufacturers will follow suite.

"Raging over something you don't agree with" is exactly what people should do. Hey, I am almost never exposed to racism so therefore I shouldn't be mad at racists, right? Totally flawless logic you got there.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

If people weren't fine with being stepped on by corporations then maybe the world would be a bit better.

I actually think the iPhone 7/Plus is a good upgrade for certain people, like I said on the other Apple Event thread I mainly think it's good for people who wish to stay on iOS and who have an iPhone 6/Plus or older. For people who have an iPhone 6s/Plus I would say it isn't worth the upgrade, especially if they're on a two year contract as the next iPhone (10th anniversary) is 'sure' to bring some bigger changes.

Although Apple have made a phone which is a lot less convenient to use for certain people (like myself) which is why I'm finally switching to a Note 7 (When they are available again) and 'ditching' iOS which I have been using since the 2nd Gen iPod Touch which was 8/9 years ago now. 

A headphone jack, wireless charging and always on OLED display, these are the main 3 features that the Note 7 has over the iPhone 7 imo. 

37 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Why would I order a bunch. Ill just attach it full time to the earphones I use regularly

Using the adapter is not an issue for most consumers, I get that. But for me there are a few issues;

1. I would need to either purchase 3 adapters and have them plugged into my 2 sets of headphones (One for gym/sport, one for listening to music in general) and 1 plugged into my car (which doesn't have bluetooth, only aux). Or I would have to carry around the adapter itself and switch it all the time which would get annoying, or I would need to invest money into bluetooth devices. All 3 of those are things I wouldn't want to do, and on top of that I would have to get 3rd party adapters because I'm not using the white apple adapter with a black phone and black headphone cable, it would look way too ugly in my opinion.

2. I need to be able to charge my device and use the headphones at the same time. I understand bluetooth fixes this, but again, not willing to spend more money on bluetooth headphones. This is why wireless charging would have made so much sense for this device, I still can't believe they didn't add it. 

When I drive to or from university I need to use my phone as a satnav, this drains a load of power, so I have to charge it in the car, but I listen to music while I drive, so if I got this device I'd have to stop listening, charge for an hour or so, then go back to listening.

38 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

WIreless charging is not actual wireless charging and it has proved to be not all that great in a long term 

Wireless charging is extremely convenient, and the more places/manufacturers who implement it, the better. In Japan and London I've been to places (coffee shops, bars, ect) that have wireless charging pads right where you sit and eat, and I've been in gyms which have wireless charging hocked up to their treadmills/bikes ect. While these places are limited, it is only going to keep expanding, and the fact that apple still hasn't implemented it is a bit sad. I assume they'll do it on their next device as that is the big 10th anniversary device, but it would have been great on the iPhone 7 especially because they removed the headphone jack, this would allow people to charge and listen at the same time. 

40 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

And anyways the LCD on the iPhones are almost as close as OLEDs (save for true blacks & power efficiency) in terms of color accuracy.

The deep blacks, power efficiency and the viability of an always on display are great advantages and reasons as to why the iPhone should have had an OLED display, I don't care that it's still 1080p that doesn't matter, but OLED should have been added. 

But yeah those 3 things are why I'm still waiting on the Note 7 and why I'm finally moving away from iOS. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

It has better specs than the iPhone 6S, obviously.  But why drop the fucking 3.5 mm jack?

Gahh!  As much as I love iOS, (assuming Apple sticks with their guns) it looks like there isn't any new iPhones I can get in the future.  (Everything still uses 3.5 mm jacks, it's ridiculous to get rid of them).

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

What kind of stupid logic is that? It will affect me because retards will buy this shit up and think it is the best thing ever just because it's Apple, and then other manufacturers will follow suite.

"Raging over something you don't agree with" is exactly what people should do. Hey, I am almost never exposed to racism so therefore I shouldn't be mad at racists, right? Totally flawless logic you got there.

If people weren't fine with being stepped on by corporations then maybe the world would be a bit better.

The racism card....nice argument. 

And no, if you don't like something, don't fucking buy it. Just because Apple makes something doesn't mean it will become the defacto standard unless it's seen as a good thing by people (i.e. very strong sales). Samsung has the same cult following that Apple does, yet I see Samsung doing 180s all the time (want to know why? people still won't buy something that they don't agree with just because it happens to be made by Apple). 

The market will determine whether or not removing the headphone jack is a good thing, and like I said, if it leads to better bluetooth headphones and/or new functionality in wired headphones (like a fitness track, that never has to be charged) then I'm all for it. 

Yeah, me choosing to buy an iPhone is letting Apple step all over me because I happen to like the benefits more than the cons. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm beginning to feel the people that hate on Apple so much for their decisions is because they are afraid of Apple's position as the market leader and they know that competitors will soon follow suit and do the same.

So even though they totally have the option to not buy a product without a headphone jack, they soon might not.

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Exactly my point. People just dont seem to understand that the only way to forcibly move forward is to abandon what is stopping it from the first place

Just to add a point:

The power outlets in your house are outdated, thus we must make some new change to make them look cooler and smaller than what they are. New homeowners would just be completely screwed. 

Sorry, but forcing people to change will never be justified by the change you are trying to introduce. Hell, look how well that excuse worked when MS really tried to force the Windows 10 update to every computer...

16 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And no, if you don't like something, don't fucking buy it. Just because Apple makes something doesn't mean it will become the defacto standard unless it's seen as a good thing by people (i.e. very strong sales). Samsung has the same cult following that Apple does, yet I see Samsung doing 180s all the time (want to know why? people still won't buy something that they don't agree with just because it happens to be made by Apple). 

This is not true. Samsung made 180 turns on things even though their new devices keep breaking the record of the previous one. The Galaxy S 6 sold better than the Galaxy S 5, and they did a 180 on microSD despite this. Want to know why? Because people were giving them shit for it.

18 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The market will determine whether or not removing the headphone jack is a good thing, and like I said, if it leads to better bluetooth headphones and/or new functionality in wired headphones (like a fitness track, that never has to be charged) then I'm all for it. 

The market, as well as the feedback.

You're essentially saying "you should never give feedback on anything. The only thing you should do is vote with your wallet". If you don't criticize things then voting with your wallet does not work, because they won't even know the reason for the lack of sales.

18 minutes ago, Kimmers said:

I'm beginning to feel the people that hate on Apple so much for their decisions is because they are afraid of Apple's position as the market leader and they know that competitors will soon follow suit and do the same.

So even though they totally have the option to not buy a product without a headphone jack, they soon might not.

Exactly.

Competitors will not just follow suit, some competitors were even ahead of Apple on this. Motorola has been selling phones without 3.5mm jacks for quite some time now, and Intel has already started pushing for USB type-C to replace 3.5mm as well.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

No. You are ASSUMING they mean DCI-P3.

Also you forget that you have 0 content that is wide gamut to start with. All games, all apps, all standard image formats (jpg, png) are all 8-bit.

Seriously, it's a fact! Let me again, quote Anandtech, this time their live blog of the event:

P3 gamut display with full color management

How clear can that be? And as for the fact that no content supports the wider gamut:

All of instagram now supports P3 for iOS

Companies are starting to support it. 

EDIT: Shucks, if you seriously think we are assuming it, then I guess Apple must be assuming they have a DCI-P3 color gamut display. Let me quote the apple website:

Wide color display (P3)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

there really is no justification for removing the 3.5mm port. Just because it's been around doesn't make it obsolete... 

it works perfectly fine, its not hindering anything, and you can already use wireless headphones with literally just about any phone.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Reviews don't lie? I physically have an iPhone 6 and 6s, as well as plenty of experience with APSC and Full Frame DSLRs and mirrorless .. The iPhone has a good camera 

Great! So share pictures. (you can PM them to me)

Read the reviews yourself, DXO, anandtech and loads of real photographers rate it highly

I saw the pictures, and I am not impressed. I don't know what to say. I guess "for an iPhone, the camera is great compared to older models", sure...

the display is still pretty high ppi, and cinema DCI-P3 covers 93% of Adobe RGB while being more useful since that is the standard that cinema projectors and 4K TVs use so you can be more colour accurate for real world use 

Most people, in fact, even Apple iMacs (not sure about the 5K model), are not wide gamut, nor your picture printer. Sure, I guess if you do magazine prints, yes. Amazing! Yes. But if you do that, you probably will use your DSLR.

candy crush? Clearly you have never seen the awesome gaming scene on iPhones, heck I have full ports of max Payne and bioshock on my phone!!! As well as games like transistor, and some of the awesome iOS only games made with metal 

Wonderful. The experience is so good, you never bought a PC and game console anymore.

also for processing and and editing 4K on the fly, even imported from proper cameras when travelling etc 

Yes, with the wonderful battery pack will need to carry, might as well use a real power horse, like I don't know... a laptop.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Great! So share pictures. (you can PM them to me)

I saw the pictures, and I am not impressed. I don't know what to say. I guess "for an iPhone, the camera is great compared to older models", sure...

Most people, in fact, even Apple iMacs (not sure about the 5K model), are not wide gamut, nor your picture printer. Sure, I guess if you do magazine prints, yes. Amazing! Yes. But if you do that, you probably will use your DSLR.

Wonderful. The experience is so good, you never bought a PC and game console anymore.

Yes, with the wonderful battery pack will need to carry, might as well use a real power horse, like I don't know... a laptop.

You're acting like a dick. Maybe go calm down for 20 minutes.

Yay! The iphone android edition. lol

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

@LAwLz i agree with with the good points plus all the other improvements like waterproofing camera features etc ... Now the headphone jack I'm on the fence, if there are genuine improvements going to none 3.5mm (there seems to be with better dacs built in headphones etc) then whoop I'm all for moving forwards, but lightening is not the way to do it mostly because it only works on iPhone and iPad, can't even plug them into a MacBook!!! If they could find a way to move to USB C and the whole industry did, I'd be all for that, and move to wireless charging so we charge and connect at the same time (or use a USB C splitter for stuff)

persoanlly it's annoying and I will not be buying lightening headphones and I don't really like Bluetooth either though I might get a £100 pair just for convenience at work / travel, I'll just have to fuck around with a bloody adapter 

it's not enough to put me off, the rest of the phone seems to tick every box for me, the design, waterproof, better display, camera etc - all what I want 

I would wait. It will be 10th anniversary of the iPhone next year, and it is for sure be something more impressive, and probably the return of the headphone plug. And now you really have a phone that shines.

2 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

My Samsung Galaxy S(Original 2010  GT-I900) was slow even with it's original software. I heard someone got Lollipop running on it... if you wanna talk about getting wrecked. I have cabinet full (I work in app development and test across whatever models of devices we use at this company) of other android devices here from bygone times. They're all pretty shitty with their latest supported updates. 

For reference: Samsung Galaxy S was released in the same year as the iPhone 4. 

iOS runs pretty well on old devices compared to Android running on old devices.

I expect you to also complain about a 286 when updated to Windows 10 next.

I have Lollipop on it D:

Runs pretty decently. Unless you have more than a few apps open. When that happens, it's just slooow.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

I would wait. It will be 10th anniversary of the iPhone next year, and it is for sure be something more impressive, and probably the return of the headphone plug. And now you really have a phone that shines.

Headphone jack isnt making a comeback unfortunately, the race for the thinnest phone continues and they just removed what is considered the largest component in the phone. Then you have the media claiming 3.5mm jack is obsolete and a bunch of other crap theyre feeding the general public.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

The problem is not so much that they removed the headphone jack. The major problem is that they did not replace it with a better solution. They removed a feature and didn't add an improved one to make it worthwhile. That's actually what it comes down to. They're not moving the industry forward; they side-stepped while making the experience worse for the consumer. 

They also didn't commit to one standard: they're 'pushing' both Lightning and Bluetooth as the 'replacement'. Neither are very user-friendly. The Lightning will divide the audio equipment once again like with 3.5mm jack standard that Apple fucked up while the rest of the industry is trying to push USB-C audio. It's ridiculous. And Bluetooth is just not there yet. It still relies on specific licensed codecs to achieve even reasonable audio quality and the support is not ubiquitous - actually not at all common; it's a mess. 

Apple could at least have the courtesy to join the rest of the industry with USB-C like they use on their MacBooks. It would have pissed off all their existing customers like when they introduced Lightning but it was their fault for jumping the gun with their own proprietary shit but it would supposedly be a one-time thing (as in the connector to be used over the next decade or two).

It doesn't seem like Apple gained all that much by removing the jack to begin with. It doesn't look like it was a requirement for either the capacitive home button or the stereo speakers. Battery won't be bigger either unless they managed to rearrange components due to the removal of the jack but I doubt it. Both the removal of the jack and the move away from physical home buttons was not a prerequisite for waterproofing either (as some mention including journalists). Samsung has a physical home button and a headphone jack with IP68 rating. Sony had a waterproof headphone jack for a few generations and later added proofing of the USB port. It's not all that hard it seems, so it's not a reason nor an excuse to remove the jack. It isn't thinner either (but that might come next year when the users have grudgingly accepted the missing jack).

Enough about the jack.

Regarding the discussion about color space: Adobe RGB and sRGB are different standards. They are not one and the same, so there is no color space called Adobe sRGB. The iPhone apparently has the DCI-P3 color space which is slightly bigger but also a bit different than Adobe RGB (which are both wide color gamuts). It's sRGB which is the narrow color space that is the de facto standard today. OLED displays have a natural affinity for wide color gamut as opposed to LCDs which are pretty expensive when it comes to wide gamut panels. Samsung's displays have an Adobe RGB mode and therefore have a very wide gamut but supposedly slightly smaller than iPhone 7. However, there is no reason to believe the display is the limiting factor, rather it's the pre-calibrated profiles that are (aka software). It does not (to my knowledge) have a DCI-P3 profile. Samsung could make one though (but would be a tall order on existing devices). In addition, Android has no color management meaning that it would be mostly useless to use these wide gamut profiles including the existing Adobe RGB because apps and other content is made with sRGB in mind. Apple seems to have introduced color management, so the phone should be able to always give you the best experience whether the content is sRGB or DCI-P3 (or at least in theory).

17 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Headphone jack isnt making a comeback unfortunately, the race for the thinnest phone continues and they just removed what is considered the largest component in the phone. Then you have the media claiming 3.5mm jack is obsolete and a bunch of other crap theyre feeding the general public.

I would agree with you, but... you see Apple didn't say, when asked, that it is to allow to make the phone better in a way, or thinner, they said "Courage", in other words, "because we can". On the table from The Verge I showed, showed phone equally as thin, and have that headphone jack. That plug is really small at the inside. While we have seen many connectors over the years on PC, and TVs that have came and left, the headphone jack and the large 1/4 version, has been here singe ages. It is widely used in music, professional recording, and well headphone/earphones, because it is just that good. It is one the best inventions. Small (well the small version, 3.5mm), solid, allows the cable to turn on itself without distortion, assuming decent cable quality, you have great shielding and cable separation, can be adapted for balance XLR output, and the connector rarely breaks (like you have to hit it hard, your plug will probably break instead of the connector), and supports an incredible amount of plug-ins and out without any sign of weakness. Even if the protective coating on the coper line (silver or gold plated) is damaged and it rust, it is dead easy to clean the contacts with a simple spray, and dust, is no match, and yes, it can be made water proof, in fact MORE water proof than the new iPhone, from the competitors.

So why? See... DVI I can give you a list of things why it should disappears. In a but shell, it has a limited amount of plug's in and out, the pins can be bent and it is like bending a motherboard CPU pin (for Intel), or CPU pin (AMD), it is big, falls out easily if not screwed in, 2 screws system to hold. Cable is thick, lots of wiring, and consumes lots of power over newer connectors, like DisplayPort. So you see, just in that respect, forget DVI resolution limits and stuff, we can see that there is a reason. Whether you agree or not with them, it doesn't matter, there are reasons. But the headphone plug, has none. See like Lightning cable from Apple, had reasons over micro-USB or its older connector. It is nice, well designed, nothing like on the market. Here they are none.

They could have had the headphone plug PLUS provide these wireless earpods. To be, it is Apple going "Man, our earpods aren't that great.. how can we push sales.... lets force them to buy them!" That is all I have. And I hope people vote with their wallet.

Apple makes great phone in general. Their OS is perhaps not for everyone, but it is a solid experience. I always respected Apple decisions, even though I didn't agree with all of them. They did push the industry.. but that was when Steve Jobs was there. Now Tim Cook is taking bad decision, taking advantage of the fan base, taking advantage of people who like iOS and have no other alternatives. And that is not right.

I think Apple fans should not buy it, and push Tim Cook aside, which will push investors and shareholders to vote him out, and getting someone who respect the user, and respect the company in. And actually innovate and push the industry forward with good reasons and intensions, like old Apple.

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Regarding the discussion about color space: Adobe RGB and sRGB are different standards. They are not one and the same, so there is no color space called Adobe sRGB. The iPhone apparently has the DCI-P3 color space which is slightly bigger but also a bit different than Adobe RGB (which are both wide color gamuts). It's sRGB which is the narrow color space that is the de facto standard today. OLED displays have a natural affinity for wide color gamut as opposed to LCDs which are pretty expensive when it comes to wide gamut panels. Samsung's displays have an Adobe RGB mode and therefore have a very wide gamut but supposedly slightly smaller than iPhone 7. However, there is no reason to believe the display is the limiting factor, rather it's the pre-calibrated profiles that are (aka software). It does not (to my knowledge) have a DCI-P3 profile. Samsung could make one though (but would be a tall order on existing devices). In addition, Android has no color management meaning that it would be mostly useless to use these wide gamut profiles including the existing Adobe RGB because apps and other content is made with sRGB in mind. Apple seems to have introduced color management, so the phone should be able to always give you the best experience whether the content is sRGB or DCI-P3 (or at least in theory).

Yes yes. My point is that:

- They are no limitation of OLED to not be wide gamut. I mean we have HDR ready OLED TVs. (not to mention that OLED are thinner than IPS display, as you don't need the backlight)

- Wile it is nice to have wide gamut camera sensor, great for those who work in RAW formats, and probably have a wide gamut display already, Apple pushes it like it benefits everyone, but it doesn't. You and I who looks at JPEGs and PNGs, will be downgraded to 8-bit colors, limiting to work in wider range gamut as the format can only work with 16.7 million colors. Plus, the OS graphics, app icons, app themselves, don't have more colors to take advantage of it. The problem is the same as Windows. Windows technically support 48-bit colors. Impressive I know.. but even if you have Quadro and a 1.07 billion color display, and use DisplayPort, your games, your apps, and pretty much all non-professional photo editor software only support 8-bit colors. So it is a waste. Hence why we don't run and get these equipment.

In terms of games, wide color textures, means it needs more GPU memory which the phone doesn't provide to our knowledge, at least not currently. If it does, then great, scrap this point. And I don't mean it needs a bit more memory, it needs a lot. The phone doesn't have it, and games are designed for multiple phones in mind, so the devs won't bother. Already, GPU memory on PC is limited. You want textures with more colors?! You'll drop the game visual settings for something that isn't much visible in games. I mean the return on "investment" I guess performance, is not worth it, at least currently. Maybe when GPU memory will drop in price and we can all sport 24GB HBM2 memory things will change, but right now, or even tomorrow, it isn't something realistic.

Anyway, I know I have not explained myself the best, and my apologies to everyone on this, but this is what I am trying to convey.

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Great! So share pictures. 

I honestly am not sure why you think it has a bad camera, because it doesn't. The camera is quite good, talking from first hand experience. I haven't seen pictures on Lumia 950 first hand, but I'm more than sure it's better than the 6S, but that doesn't meant it's a bad camera. Far from it. 

I would personally wait for iPhone 7 reviews before making any huge claims. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

This thread is going pretty great tbh. I actually kind of laughed on LAwLz asking for some kind of engineering or logical reasoning behind the removal of the headphone jack and getting some physiological bullshit for an answer :D god damn amazing. 

It's not like he listens to any logical reasons anyway, he just dismisses them because he doesn't agree with them. So why bother responding with any serious response? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I honestly am not sure why you think it has a bad camera, because it doesn't. The camera is quite good, talking from first hand experience. I haven't seen pictures on Lumia 950 first hand, but I'm more than sure it's better than the 6S, but that doesn't meant it's a bad camera. Far from it. 

I would personally wait for iPhone 7 reviews before making any huge claims. 

It's not bad per se. But it is not reaching to level of other phones on the market in the price range.

The Lumia 950 camera is on par over the Samsung Galaxy S7 a phone that came later. Some things the Galaxy does better, other the Lumia does better, and some elements are up to taste. Both phones delivers fantastic pictures, day, low-light and night, where you pretty much really don't need to use the flash... in fact I don't recall ever using mine on a picture. It is more of a Flash light than anything. RGB LED flash light for the most accurate white balance you can get flash light :P

See if the iPhone was like 300-350$ or even 450$, then yea, fine, great camera. VERY competitive in that field.But against the same price range phone nha. Anyway, we will wait and see who this new iPhone fairs in reviews.

Just now, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

And the other adapter if you want to use normal headphones xD Bringing us to the era of adapters.

Will go well with the adapters of the MacBook. Worst part is that they are not interchangeable. So you can't even reduce your adapters in any way, if you have this new iPhone and the MacBook.

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes yes. My point is that:

- They are no limitation of OLED to not be wide gamut. I mean we have HDR ready OLED TVs. (not to mention that OLED are thinner than IPS display, as you don't need the backlight)

- Wile it is nice to have wide gamut camera sensor, great for those who work in RAW formats, and probably have a wide gamut display already, Apple pushes it like it benefits everyone, but it doesn't. You and I who looks at JPEGs and PNGs, will be downgraded to 8-bit colors, limiting to work in wider range gamut as the format can only work with 16.7 million colors. Plus, the OS graphics, app icons, app themselves, don't have more colors to take advantage of it. The problem is the same as Windows. Windows technically support 48-bit colors. Impressive I know.. but even if you have Quadro and a 1.07 billion color display, and use DisplayPort, your games, your apps, and pretty much all non-professional photo editor software only support 8-bit colors. So it is a waste. Hence why we don't run and get these equipment.

In terms of games, wide color textures, means it needs more GPU memory which the phone doesn't provide to our knowledge, at least not currently. If it does, then great, scrap this point. And I don't mean it needs a bit more memory, it needs a lot. The phone doesn't have it, and games are designed for multiple phones in mind, so the devs won't bother. Already, GPU memory on PC is limited. You want textures with more colors?! You'll drop the game visual settings for something that isn't much visible in games. I mean the return on "investment" I guess performance, is not worth it, at least currently. Maybe when GPU memory will drop in price and we can all sport 24GB HBM2 memory things will change, but right now, or even tomorrow, it isn't something realistic.

Anyway, I know I have not explained myself the best, and my apologies to everyone on this, but this is what I am trying to convey.

My post wasn't aimed at you specifically (I don't think it was you confusing Adobe RGB and sRGB at least) but I do think the discussion went a bit off the rails.

OLED is definitely the future of displays unless something comes along that is better and eliminates OLED's current drawbacks (limited life span, burn-in and high power consumption when displaying white are those I can think of at the top of my head). I do believe that OLED's problems can be solved and that we don't need a different display type yet.

I'm not much of a camera guy in the sense that I'm not really keeping up with the tech. I would have thought that cameras had wide gamut already and was merely 'downsampled' by the display due to limited color space. A lot of people want RAW-capability but it's not something I'd use myself. I don't edit photos, so it would be silly of me to take RAW photos. It's true that every link in the chain needs to have wide gamut support for it to actually do something. If one link is broken, it all falls apart. What that means is that the industry needs to change and it is changing. We've been stuck with sRGB because it was good enough. With HDR being the buzz word in the industry, it should mean it'll start to push sRGB aside because now there is a reason and willingness to pursue this change. 

As for games: I'm not sure if it requires more memory. I was under the impression that games (or game engines) already do HDR but downgrade the experience through some kind of tonemapping (or something like that) so that it becomes SDR in the final product so to speak. Whether that's partially or entirely correct, I'm not sure. I just recall it being talked about at Computex (I think it was) that graphics cards can already do HDR and games were also doing HDR -> SDR because displays were behind but no more. So there's that.