[Build Log] Project Frost - Case-Labs THW10 | X99 Watercooled | i7 6950X | Titan X | Borosilicate Glass Tubing

Revan654

Fe8vQz2l.jpg

B4M5w7il.jpg

Xsh0qmQl.jpg

qVEF52zl.jpg

1po3VQdl.jpg

K3Jwd6Ml.jpg

These are my Quad Sata Cables, If you use this method be careful when cutting into the PVC, since you can cut the strands very easily.

The last major Cables for the PSU being created now. I created two sets, Terminal version & pushdown version. I'll show off the pushdown version at a later date since I'm waiting on some unique heatshrink to complete those cables.

-----------

XcXJdbJl.jpg

NHiZvohl.jpg

S9Zm3Evl.jpg

I still need to mod the bases before they can be used.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

plastecizer isnt as much of a problem anymore, thats what i found when i did the reserach for Nothern Bee. Mayhems UltraClear which is what i have, didnt give off anything after extensive tests and nor did Primoflex Advanced LRT, and if they did it wasent anything noticable. one a year is a bit exessive for swapping out the tubeing unless you know you have ones that do leach plastecizer

It still happens due to the process of making PVC tubing. I have tubing from a very good company it was still leeching into the water. Tubing is known to discolor overtime, Plus you need to factor in coolants if you use them . They can discolor the tubing.

This is what happened after a year of usage of using just Soft tubing without replacing anything.

8Zaw1l0.jpg

Only Glass will not discolor over time. Even PMMA & PETG given enough time will turn yellow over time.

Just now, Revan654 said:

It still happens due to the process of making PVC tubing. I have tubing from a very good company it was still leeching into the water. Tubing is known to discolor overtime, Plus you need to factor in coolants if you use them . They can discolor the tubing.

This is what happened after a year of usage of using just Soft tubing without replacing anything.

Only Glass will not discolor over time. Even PMMA & PETG given enough time will turn yellow over time.

discoloring both of the ones i mentioned did, but there was no leeching of plastecizer that was noted. from what i can find, atleast Mayhems UltraClear and Primiflex Advanced LRT wouldent need to be swapped once a year, il check back with you in a year or something when Northern Bee has run more time, but i find that to be to often from what i have reserached. Mayhems Pastel and Mayhems UltraClear is acording to Mayhems a perfect fit atleast

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

plastecizer isnt as much of a problem anymore, thats what i found when i did the reserach for Nothern Bee. Mayhems UltraClear which is what i have, didnt give off anything after extensive tests and nor did Primoflex Advanced LRT, and if they did it wasent anything noticable. one a year is a bit exessive for swapping out the tubeing unless you know you have ones that do leach plastecizer

I actually am using the Primoflex LRT.

I'm just happy to no longer be staring at my friggin hideous hard tubing bends.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

18 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I actually am using the Primoflex LRT.

I'm just happy to no longer be staring at my friggin hideous hard tubing bends.

It may take some practice but bending is very simple once you get it.

Bending it not hard, it's just when you start to have multiple bends in one tube run it can get a bit complex. You just need to think ahead and figure out how your going to do it. It's best to draw everything out by hand on paper or if you have 3D software use a PC.

This was my first try at bending:

zf4FdEkl.jpg

------

If your not good at bending, AlphaCool has made it easy for you:

Pre-Made 90 Degree + straight run with PMMA (Acrylic, Which I prefer over PETG).

Link: https://modmymods.com/alphacool-hardtube-16-12mm-90-plexi-pmma-20-40cm-18568.html

Link 2: https://modmymods.com/alphacool-hardtube-16-12mm-90-plexi-pmma-10-30cm-18567.html

------

If you want to try to bend again here it what I used:

Bending Tool: https://modmymods.com/alphacool-acrylic-double-bending-tool-12-14mm-and-16mm-black-29124.html

Don't forget your Silicon cord:

12mm: https://modmymods.com/barrow-12mm-silicon-bending-cord-for-12mm-id-hardtube-1m-length-12mm.html

14mm: https://modmymods.com/barrow-14mm-silicon-bending-cord-for-14mm-id-hardtube-1m-length-14mm.html

1 minute ago, Revan654 said:

If your not good at bending, AlphaCool has made it easy for you:

or you can go full balls-to-the-ceiling and use only straight runs and a fuckton of fittings

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

44 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

or you can go full balls-to-the-ceiling and use only straight runs and a fuckton of fittings

If you go this road I suggest buying Barrow fittings & import them from China (nearly same quality as Bitspower but Cheaper). You can saves hundreds of dollars this way.

I just don't like the look of all those fittings. I have done it in the past with one of my old builds:

97XonVil.jpg

Damn, been over a year since you first posted your build. Sure is taking a while

How much time you think it will take?

46 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I just don't like the look of all those fittings. I have done it in the past with one of my old builds:

Nice... I think builds with contrasting fittings (chrome, matte white, or satin/matte color) look great

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

6 hours ago, ShatteredPsycho said:

Damn, been over a year since you first posted your build. Sure is taking a while

How much time you think it will take?

Work did not start until earlier this year.  Allot of things has delayed progress (Like waiting a month for certain items to arrive before I can pick up where I left off).

2 hours ago, Revan654 said:

My Low Profile USB 3.0 Cable (Before Sleeving).

you should sell those... stock case ones are horrible, one of them broke my mobo's 3.0 header (unbent the pins but the plastic socket is only 3/4 there)

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

10 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

you should sell those... stock case ones are horrible, one of them broke my mobo's 3.0 header (unbent the pins but the plastic socket is only 3/4 there)

There are a few companies who already sell the ones I made, However Mine are gold plated, There is gold Flash or tin.

This build is awesome and so is the thread. You can find nice stuff and a lot of helpful info mentioned matter-of-factly. 

For instance - that glass cutter, did you buy it directly from Mountain Glass? I want one for myself but that thing is virtually impossible to get now. Could you maybe recommend something similar for a smooth break-cutting glass tubing? ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

13 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

This build is awesome and so is the thread. You can find nice stuff and a lot of helpful info mentioned matter-of-factly. 

For instance - that glass cutter, did you buy it directly from Mountain Glass? I want one for myself but that thing is virtually impossible to get now. Could you maybe recommend something similar for a smooth break-cutting glass tubing? ;-)

I have only used three tools for glass cutting so far. The Snap Method only Small Jaw has worked for me. You might be able to use those glass bottle cutters (I never tried them). I was going to try them but found the Small Jaw cutter first.

I have not seen any tools like the one I bought(It might be worth look at Amazon & glass Shops), Best bet is to E-mail them & see when there getting more in-Stock.

My advise would be use Dremel for now & create some sort of Jig to cut straight(I been using my table saw holder with Dremel when cutting with the device).

There allot of examples of Jigs on youtube & Sigularity Computers has has shown theirs. You don't need something that fancy. Something simple will get the job done.

Link: https://www.singularitycomputers.com/glass-tube-cutting/

Another option (I have not tested this, I was going to try. In the end I just went with Dremel since one of my Family members gave me there Dremel).

Adding a Diamond Saw Blade to Work Bench Saw. It should even work with Mini Saws. With Dremel you should not go over 2,000 rpm's. So Mini-Saw should give you enough RPM's to cut glass tubing. Mini-Saw also works great when cutting PETG & Acrylic.

Link: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

They sell 2" Blades on Amazon.com, it may be a bit pricey due to the small size. I think it's around 30 dollars. Yes, the blade is more expensive then the entire mini-Saw.

Whatever you do not buy these, They are horrible & nearly impossible to cut straight or even get the glass tubing in it. I still Don't know how Mayhem managed to cut straight with this tool(There is a video on youtube if your interested).

51rPfpbaNGL._SL1000_.jpg

--------

If your willing to create a mod. You might be able to merged the following items together. I'm not 100% sure on the sizes of the wheels.

Link: http://www.mountainglass.com/Replacement-JAWS-Cutting-Wheel.html#.WdO-dNgpCbg

Link: https://modmymods.com/alphacool-hardtube-metal-tubing-cutter-3-25mm-29135.html

I'm surprised AlphaCool hasn't released a tool for Glass cutting.

I was wondering if anyone can help. Going to swap the front buttons to something else. I'm not 100% sure on switch function. There to many types I just not 100% on what to grab. I'm thinking it's Mom-off.

Switch Type Function List:

1. On-Mom, Off-Mom
2. On-Off, Off-On
3. Mon On

4. Mon Off

Mom = Momentary

14 minutes ago, Revan654 said:
I was wondering if anyone can help. Going to swap the front buttons to something else. I'm not 100% sure on switch function. There to many types I just not 100% on what to grab. I'm thinking it's Mom-off.

Switch Type Function List:

1. On-Mom, Off-Mom
2. On-Off, Off-On
3. Mon On

4. Mon Off

Mom = Momentary

for the power on and reset you want it to short when its pressed down, that would me mom-on id say, because its momentarely on, unless nameing of this is stupid too.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

56 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

for the power on and reset you want it to short when its pressed down, that would me mom-on id say, because its momentarely on, unless nameing of this is stupid too.

I'm thinking it's Mom-On | Mom-Off. Since that only results that kicks back any real results in LED. I also think this way allows you to config it in Mom-on or Mom-off.

14 AWG

Link: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Wire/6717-BK005/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtW9UaYX5J1tEebH9%2bQVuXxmSboxiyHW0A%3d

16 AWG

Link: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Wire/6716-BK005/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtW9UaYX5J1tEebH9%2bQVuXx2I4rziwzhFg%3d

22 AWG

Link: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=6713_BK005virtualkey60200000virtualkey602-6713-100-02

For those who don't know mPPE is the same type of wiring used in cars to make it lighter but also have Better dielectric strength. It's better then PVC, plus it doesn't burn when soldering like PVC does. The wiring is more money but you get some new features with it. It also has a smaller OD compared to PVC at the same AWG. You can fit 16 AWG inside the molex Push Sata Connectors without any issues compared to 16 AWG when you will have issues getting it inside the teeth.

Your average person there no reason to use 14 or 16 AWG mPPE ( I'm still using PVC on most part).

btw, I been using 22 AWG mPPE. Other then Ribbon wire it's my favorite 22 AWG wiring. You can clearly see the difference in quality. From AlphaWire vs basic wiring you buy at sleeving shops or import from China.

--------

When there a choice between Reel vs Loose pieces. Go with Reel, it can save you allot of money(It starts to add up over time). 100 Loose pieces for fan terminals is 20 dollars (Gold Plated, .768 version) where Reel is only 9 dollars for 100.

------

Hardware:

PA-09: Fans & Dupont

PAD-01: PicoBlade (PA-09 does not fully crimp the smaller terminals)

MDPC-X CTX 3 (Best crimper for Power Supply cables)

Dremel 2000 (Best All in one tools for heat, Cutting & soldering)

Molex Wire Strippers (Only wire cutter I have found that will drop down to tiny cuts & will cut wiring with almost any OD)

-------

Switches Power & Reset

Face Size: 19mm (16mm Body) & 22mm (19mm Body)

Circuit: DPST (1-NO, 1-NC)

Type: Vandal Resistant

Switch Function: Mom-On | Mom-Off (You will be using Mom-Off when wiring). Choices for Mom-off only switches is very limited.

LED: Sell every color from Blue to Red to even RGB. Some of the switches are a bit harder to get ahold off. I could not find 19mm in RGB or 22mm in Basic Blue.

These are a bit more money then what you pay at a computer store. However the quality is also much higher, Don't feel like the pins are going to snap the second your try to remove the terminal. Both switches will accept Quick Disconnect (The same size, cheaper versions have weird sizes) & can be soldered directly to the the switch.

-------

For those interested in making there own DarkSide Cables Here are parts needed. They do not make Black housing anymore for DarkSide Connect. You need to buy those direct from DarkSide or Amazon/Ebay sell them as well.

RGB End A:

Link: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/SHF-001T-0.8BS/455-1121-1-ND/527350

RGB End B or DarkSide Connect End B (For Basic Colors & 3/5mm):

Link: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/SYM-001T-P0.6(N)/455-1909-1-ND/1465028

DarkSide Connect End A:

Link: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/SYF-001T-P0.6(LF)(SN)/455-2652-1-ND/2796952

DarkSide Connect Housing End A:

Link: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/SYP-02TV-1/455-2651-ND/2796951

DarkSide Connect Housing End B:

Link: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/SYR-02TV/455-2655-ND/2385865

DarkSide RGB End B:

Link: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=SMR-04V-B

DarkSide RGB End A:

Link: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=SMP-04V-BC

------

53251_4.jpg

Aqua-Computer has finally started to make Black plates that are built into the AQ.

sB5w4Gal.jpg

ztsPSOBl.jpg

Pico Cables are finally done, The most difficult of all terminals I have crimp due to the size of each terminal. You can barley hold these terminal in your fingers. I also found that PA-09 was not fully crimping the terminals. PA-09 would not lock the strands down to the terminals once crimped. I used PAD-01 which did a much better job at crimping.

-----

q9nCRDIl.jpg

USB 3.0 Low Profile Cable fully Sleeved. I might get different heatshrink, I really don't like the type I'm using here, It's very thick a has a bit of weight to it compared to MDPC-X or MFC. MDPC-X nor MFC make heatshrink in the 18mm range. I could do a dual Sleeve type sleeving as well if I don't find any good heatshrink.

-------

7CDdPCZl.jpg

gKQ7HSkl.jpg

arnVrsnl.jpg

A look at difference between OEM "Molex" vs Branded "Molex" terminals. As you can see they have very different styles. Not to mention Branded version is Truly Gold plated & much easier to remove from the housing. Branded is a bit more money, but worth the extra money. They also sell tin version which is much cheaper. These are made by T.E. since Molex has stopped making these awhile back.

Molex does have new versions however they will not work due to the different shaped housing & pitch is a bit lower (5.03 I believe compared to 5.08).

7 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

- Small issue, going to delay certain aspects of the build. My OLED screens for Vision blocks are both completely cracked. There both going to have to be RMA to Aqua-Computer.

lets see if thats another 6 months or whatever it took for them to get in stock

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

lets see if thats another 6 months or whatever it took for them to get in stock

Most of the Vision stock is normal now.

This is all I need:

Link: https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3609

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

Small issue, going to delay certain aspects of the build

rip

by the time this build is done the CPU will be discontinued :P

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

20 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

rip

by the time this build is done the CPU will be discontinued :P

I doubt it, I'm basically at the end now. Allot of things are just waiting for shipments. Needed another tube of glass & some more wire. Creating Cables is a very long process (Specially with all the cables I have), Which I should have started before I even bought any motherboard or CPU.

------

X99 is still one fastest chipsets available, Even with X299 out. I just don't trust AMD, I will never be using there CPU's again.