[Build Log] Project Frost - Case-Labs THW10 | X99 Watercooled | i7 6950X | Titan X | Borosilicate Glass Tubing

Revan654
35 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I Sold my EK rads since there high FPI rads which require high RPM's. I want to go with silence.

EK's XE line is pretty damn impressive.  Besides that, once you get to the level of radiator surface area that we are using, you're talking about spare change with regards to cooling capacity.  Absolutely nothing you'll actually see in water temp differences.  

I don't have an option for wired connection. the modem & router is on a completely different floor.

I just pointed out the 10 Gigabit and other stuff because you said that x299 didn't offer any new features when actually it offers quite a bit.  Sounds like you meant to say that it didn't off any features that you'll actually use.  

Your not getting what I'm saying about 5960x.

Apparently I'm not.  You said "The new 7900x is new 5960x."  but it's not.  The 7900k has more cores, more CPU PCIe lanes, faster clock speed, more IPC, blah blah blah.  The only thing that's similar is the launch pricing.  If you meant to say that you get a better CPU for the same price as a 5960x at launch, they yes, but that isn't what you said.  O.o

Why would speed be an issue if there just there for storage. I three SSD in Raid since I need the speed & space.

3 SSDs in a RAID 0 is right at the limit for DMI 2.0.  Anything more and it will bottleneck.  I know this because I ran a 4 x SSD RAID 0 on my x99 rig and it caps out right around 1.7 to 1.8 GB/s.  That's still fast.  I was just pointing out that DMI 2.0 is limited.  

Transferring large files from your 960 Pros to the storage will be limited by the DMI 2.0 if you are doing a RAID 0 SSD with 4 or more drives.  

If you are only using spinning hardrives for storage it wont matter as those are slow for transfers anyways.  No big deal.  

You don't lose m.2 slot, atlease with my motherboard it just reduces the speed. I don't use the M.2 slots on my motherboard anyways. All my M.2 are watercooled.

This is straight from the manual for your motherboard.  Like I said, if you start filling up all of your PCIe slots with stuff and actually run them to their fullest capacity, you will start loosing M.2 slots.

Remember, you were saying that x299 has less PCIe "area" and less options.  I was just pointing out that you really can't use all of it at once anyways so it doesn't matter.  The only thing that changed in the x99 and x299 Extreme boards as far as PCIe slots is one x1 slot was removed.  Like I said, nobody cares about those slots anyways.  As far as options, it still has all the the same relevant ones and then some. 

Smart move running your M.2's in the PCIe slot as they will achieve max performance there.  You can even software RAID them in Windows for some real nice speed.  

Capture.thumb.JPG.e62413c99a2430c2dd873cd3ca5db628.JPG

I do not like how EK is marketing the new line. The whole increase in FPS in games with there new kits.

I don't pay attention to it.  I just use their parts.  

XE are good, specially at higher RPM's. Which is what I was trying to avoid with my build. I didn't want high FPI rads. It's why I sold my XE rads.

With my rads you can go all the way down to 600rpms & still get the same performance. EK rads are designed for high speed rpm. Personally I didn't care how they look.

Hardware Labs will always be KING in my book.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

2 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

XE are good, specially at higher RPM's. Which is what I was trying to avoid with my build. I didn't want high FPI rads. It's why I sold my XE rads.

With my rads you can go all the way down to 600rpms & still get the same performance. EK rads are designed for high speed rpm. Personally I didn't care how they look.

Hardware Labs will always be KING in my book.

Yeah, the SR2 is tops at 750 RPMs, but in an actual loop the size of our loops, you wouldn't notice a difference in either as far as temps. Just like the EK's lead at 1300 RPMs is chump change and wouldn't be noticed.

Really, as long as you're running quality rads like yours or EK's, the difference just won't be seen.  

1.JPG

2.JPG

3 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Anyone have any quick tips of removing Paint Primer (Other then using Paint remover or sanding the item down)?

Oh boy, that doesn't sound like fun.  :(

47 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Oh boy, that doesn't sound like fun.  :(

Paint is easy to remove, Primer on the other hand is a pain in the ass to remove, due to the adhesive element. I really don't want to use a blade to cut all primer off since it will take forever to do.

27 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Paint is easy to remove, Primer on the other hand is a pain in the ass to remove, due to the adhesive element. I really don't want to use a blade to cut all primer off since it will take forever to do.

Unfortunately, I'm no paint expert.  

Do you have any pics of the system zoomed out so we can see the whole thing?

26 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Unfortunately, I'm no paint expert.  

Do you have any pics of the system zoomed out so we can see the whole thing?

There are Photos somewhere in this thread of the two sides. I can't take any new ones right now since I took some things apart while I wiring certain parts.

j3liKI3.jpg

yJUoVAx.jpg

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

Very nice man.

Are top and bottom rad fans set to draw fresh air in?

No, Bottom fresh air in, Top exhaust. The case is designed to hold about 35mm on the top. It's why my fans are at the top instead of inside the case.

z4DDfIR.jpg

- Looks like I'm missing two sets of terminals. 2.00 Pitch (aka VGA terminals). Everything else is accounted for except those. My cat better of not stolen that too.

6 hours ago, Revan654 said:

- My cat better of not stolen that too.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

- Here comes the fun part run all the wiring everywhere & still have it look clean. Going work on USB & fan cables first. Molex & Sata cables have not been made yet. I have to install harddrives inside the PC before I can start to create those cables. Since USB are behind the harddrives, I have to do the USB & fan cables first.

- Removed all the crappy double tape from cable clips & replaced them with Velcro (Standard & industrial).

- Going to try my luck again with finding a butane lighter(*Edit*, Found a very good one). Since last time the lighter switch broke with a day of using it. I'll go with a more known company hoping it will work much longer.

- I found out that the Felt Polishing Buffing Cone for Dremel tool will remove all Paint Primer without any issues(No Scratches). Just need to make sure I wear mask due to all dust it creates & you don't want to inhale that dust.

- I still have about 50 dollars of Credit left at Performance-pcs. Not sure what to grab. Maybe another fan for the empty slot I have on the left side. Since I have nothing planned for that spot. I only have 420 radiators at the top.

-------

This is my new lighter tool. It runs on Butane. It also has multiple addon tips from a soldering tip to a hot knife tip. So far this tools works great. At full tank the tool will last for 75 Minutes non-stop.

fIeQObAl.jpg

tpFa4Q1l.jpg

UNeeZZRl.jpg

sydAXExl.jpg

-------

Now here is picture of some dupont terminals from Molex with 22 AWG. I'm not sure if this looks right. It seem it's pinching the wire to much. The max size of wiring for the terminal is 1.63mm, the 22 AWG I have is just about 1.60mm (atlease according to the site). Not sure if I should just drop down to 24 AWG to be on the safe side or not. These cables are for USB connections for all AquaComputer devices.

910aWKRl.jpg

51kcoy7l.jpg

On 6/6/2017 at 3:36 PM, Revan654 said:

This is my new lighter tool. It runs on Butane. It also has multiple addon tips from a soldering tip to a hot knife tip. So far this tools works great. At full tank the tool will last for 75 Minutes non-stop.

fIeQObAl.jpg

tpFa4Q1l.jpg

UNeeZZRl.jpg

sydAXExl.jpg

If everyone recalls the guide I wrote up on sleeving. With some testing I did last night, This tool can be used for sleeving without any issues. You only need to do heat each side for about 3 seconds now instead of the normal 5 seconds. It will melt the sleeving in no time on the highest settings.

Just be careful if you touch the heatshrink since it will be a bit hotter then when you use a normal lighter.

With Hot Knife & focus heat addons, It's well worth the price. Plus it's a Dremel tool so you know it's going to last.

8gMBnlSl.jpg

As you can see it gives you a much smaller area that is melted. If done right none of the burning area will stick out of the connector.

- I'm switching back to 2mm wiring. The 2.4mm wiring is creating to many problems.

1.The increased size is causing problems getting the Wiring/sleeving inside the connectors.

2. The melted size has also increased which is another problem getting the sleeving into the connector.

2. 2.4mm Wiring is not creating a good crimp on any of my Sata connectors.

3. Some of the Mini Fit Jr. Terminals are having problems accepting the wiring (Even the ones designed for 16 AWG).

Short Sata:

2.4mm Wiring

en441jKl.jpg

2mm Wiring

SbgXJXLl.jpg

Long Sata

2.4 Wiring:

A13nJ04l.jpg

2m Wiring:

YN1CMcSl.jpg

Connectors:

zeaH441l.jpg

2S7lCSCl.jpg

On 8.6.2017 at 8:11 PM, Revan654 said:

This is my new lighter tool. It runs on Butane. It also has multiple addon tips from a soldering tip to a hot knife tip. So far this tools works great. At full tank the tool will last for 75 Minutes non-stop.

Nice, I have the same Soldering Iron, this one is very useful, as it can be used for more than just soldering.
It is not the fastest with heating up, but it works very well for its price.

I also like this one more than the one I have with a cable, as this one is wireless.

I can recommend it to people who don't have a permanent place to put ther soldering station and don't like cables on your desk.

Regards,
Robin

6 hours ago, Robolon said:

Nice, I have the same Soldering Iron, this one is very useful, as it can be used for more than just soldering.
It is not the fastest with heating up, but it works very well for its price.

I also like this one more than the one I have with a cable, as this one is wireless.

I can recommend it to people who don't have a permanent place to put ther soldering station and don't like cables on your desk.

Regards,
Robin

Your getting the convenes of it being portable. Portable tools will never be as powerful as ones you plug in. It's only running on Butane. I also have a small weller soldering iron, which should heat up allot faster. I don't have any kind of station just an iron.

gGCXYW9l.jpg

It's time for some soldering. This is my very attempt at soldering.

The setup:

Method One:

MJhjxiUl.jpg

WG7Bj2dl.jpg

or

Method Two:

iu5qjwbl.jpg

z01bQPAl.jpg

Soldered:

MRyKVbfl.jpg

Way to thick for my first attempt

Second attempt:

qAEYklU.jpg

Getting a little bit better.

i would lay them together and just kinda twist all the way instead of doing this ball thing, would give you a more even thickness if you care about that, last one is pretty good though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i would lay them together and just kinda twist all the way instead of doing this ball thing, would give you a more even thickness if you care about that, last one is pretty good though

You can't lay them next to one another. The PVC would melt into the other one.