Primate Labs unveils new GeekBench 4 and a surprise for Mac and PC users

AlTech

Primate Labs, the creator of GeekBench benchmarking software, have developed Geekbench 4. This is the successor to GeekBench 3.

There are 3 controversial things we need to get out of the way first.

1) Geekbench 4 is a free upgrade for IOS and Android users BUT not for PC, Mac and Linux users.

2) The differences between GeekBench3 and 4 look to be very minimal.

3) Geekbench 4 is not available on Steam whereas Geekbench 3 was.

Measuring performance of a new smartphone is important for tech enthusiasts. Whether you’re an average consumer or a professional, performance is a key aspect when comparing with a predecessor or a rival smartphone. Geekbench by Primate Labs Inc. is a tool to measure real-world performance demonstration of a smartphone or a tablet. Previously, users have been making use of Geekbench 3 as an instrument to measure a device’s manifestation of internals. Now, the company has released Geekbench 4 for a more up-to-date performance measurement.

I'm not a huge fan of all this sketchy behavior. Frankly, I don't think Geebench is that useful anymore.

http://wccftech.com/primate-labs-inc-releases-geekbench-4-for-ios-and-android-download-here/

http://geekbench.com/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Dat sensationalism

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, RikvE said:

such clickbait.

How exactly?

1) Geekbench 4 is a free upgrade for IOS and Android users BUT not for PC, Mac and Linux users.

2) The differences between GeekBench3 and 4 look to be very minimal.

3) Geekbench 4 is not available on Steam whereas Geekbench 3 was.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Not clickbait, but kinda sensationalist. 

They chose to make it a free upgrade for mobile users, but not desktop users. Oh well.. That's my only response. And not putting it on Steam, not really a 'nasty surprise', more like a "oh. well that's a shame" kinda thing.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

57 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I honestly didn't even know what Geekbench was xD

I assume it's not normally free, so I don't think I'd every use it tbh

You haven't watched many phone reviews, right?

20 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Yeah I haven't since I don't really care about most phones

Any phone reviewer worth their salt uses GeekBench.

Has anyone tried it yet to see if scores are similar on pc?

I still only use the free pc version so nothing has changed.

Except the UI was driven over by a steamroller

Update:

PC - uses a completly different set of tests (Html,HDR,n-Body physics, memory bandwidth etc)

Scores are different also eg i5 2410m - geekbench 3 2104/4000 and geekbench 4 ~2500/4700(thats even with 8 tabs open)

they have added compute benchmark with selection for different APIs.

64bit is free for PC

Why do dis?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Any phone reviewer worth their salt uses GeekBench.

You could not be further from the truth.

GeekBench is a pretty bad benchmark if all you're doing is look at the final, single number it gives you. It's pretty good if you go though the detailed report though (which I rarely see anyone do).

Some of the best reviews however, such as those from Anandtech, doesn't even use GeekBench at all (although they use a lot of browser based benchmarks which is a bad idea for cross platform comparisons, so pick your poison).