ARK developer is under fire for releasing DLC for their early access survival game, it costs almost as much as the base game...

niofalpha

We all hate day 1 DLC, but what about DLC for Early Access games? ARK just did... No, not gonna update it to DirectX 12 which has been in the patch notes saying it's coming soon has been in the patchnotes since November of 2015... 

Beyond how much I hate that, I can see why they would... They did just recently get hit by a large lawsuit. But they also just crippled the base game... They're planning to allow you to (Source there <)

TRAVEL BETWEEN ARKS
Survivors can take their character, favorite creatures and items between the Island and the new Desert ARKs, making their Island-dwelling friends jealous with all of the amazing new items, structures, creatures and secrets they find in the Desert.

If the trailer is realistic to the game, this is gonna break the normal game by adding a paywall into an Early Access survival game...

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/first-ark-survival-evolved-expansion-now-adds-new-creatures-items/

Studio Wildcard was teasing a major new expansion for Ark: Survival Evolved earlier this week, though now it has been officially revealed. The expansion is called Scorched Earth and is available to download now on PC and Xbox One for $20. The base game is required in order to play the expansion, and that has been marked down 40% on both PC and Xbox One.

The game costs as much as the DLC, since it's on sale...

Large portions of the /r/PlayArk, and the steam community page for ARK are up in arms about this. 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I Know right. I have dual titan x's and i cant run the dam game at epic at 60fps. Like devs get your crap together and fix your game!!!!!!!!!

CPU: I7-6700k @ 4.7ghz Memery: 16GB HyperX DDR4 GPU: GTX TITAN X OC MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z170A Gaming 6 SSD: 1-Kingston 120Gb    1-PNY 240GB HDD: 1-WD 1T, 1-Seagate 750GB CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i GTX PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: Corsair 760T White Edition

1 minute ago, redbaron28 said:

I Know right. I have dual titan x's and i cant run the dam game at epic at 60fps. Like devs get your crap together and fix your game!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't even support SLI yet...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Just now, niofalpha said:

Its dum it doesnt it needs it bad. The minimum system requirements is a joke.

CPU: I7-6700k @ 4.7ghz Memery: 16GB HyperX DDR4 GPU: GTX TITAN X OC MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z170A Gaming 6 SSD: 1-Kingston 120Gb    1-PNY 240GB HDD: 1-WD 1T, 1-Seagate 750GB CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i GTX PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: Corsair 760T White Edition

2 minutes ago, redbaron28 said:

wot

I have an RX 480 8gb and it runs just fine.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

7 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

Well of course it's just as expensive.

How else will the game developers afford a new Ferrari every day.

You people are so insensitive to the plight of the game developer.

It's an early access game, and they're already releasing DLC for it. If you don't see an issue with this, you're beyond thick skulled.

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Just now, niofalpha said:

It's an early access game, and they're already releasing DLC for it. If you don't see an issue with this, you're beyond thick skulled.

*facepalms*

Its called sarcasm.

ARK is a pile of shit.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

8 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

Well of course it's just as expensive.

How else will the game developers afford a new Ferrari every day.

You people are so insensitive to the plight of the game developer.

They can charge as much as they want, and I can choose to buy it or not... when I know what I'm buying. I adopted a "let me know when it's finished" policy with games (and I don't mean released, but actually finished). Since I don't play online, there is no value to me in playing games when they are new, while there is value in playing them when they are good, which is after they finish patching, debugging, and adding stuff. 

If a game actually survives, I can buy "game of the year" or whatever edition 1 or 2 years later, fully supported by everything, running well on hardware that doesn't cost that much any more. It's not like I'll be waiting, there are so many not-so-new interesting games I still haven't played, and not so much time to play them...

16 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

lol the games terrily optimized so i would reccomend optimizing it first then adding dual gpu support

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

1 minute ago, crysilis said:

lol the games terrily optimized so i would reccomend optimizing it first then adding dual gpu support

It's not that poorly optimized. I play on a combination of Epic- High and run ~45 FPS on a 980. Sure, the FPS is low, but the game looks beautiful.

Spoiler

sex hahaha

48 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

wot

I have an RX 480 8gb and it runs just fine.

At what settings? High Settings suggest GTX 970 yet only run at ~40 FPS. I have a 980 Ti and it runs at ~40 FPS on medium when it's 1440p. Btw, the game looks like GARBAGE when its on anything but high.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

1 hour ago, redbaron28 said:

You have dual GeForce GTX Titan X's, you should upgrade to dual GeForce Titan X's

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Just now, rattacko123 said:

You have dual GeForce GTX Titan X's, you should upgrade to dual GeForce Titan X's

Heres the thing i upgraded from one titan x to two because i find two of them for 600usd and sold my first one. Didnt want to do 3 way sli.

2 minutes ago, redbaron28 said:

Heres the thing i upgraded from one titan x to two because i find two of them for 600usd and sold my first one. Didnt want to do 3 way sli.

Which Titan X? The new one? or the old one? xD

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 minute ago, rattacko123 said:

Which Titan X? The new one? or the old one? xD

Old one of course lol.

AH! serve you right, that will teach to buy promises instead of waiting for the finished product

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It's about time we stop calling these games "early access".

Call them what they are, "always in development" or "constantly in development".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

At what settings? High Settings suggest GTX 970 yet only run at ~40 FPS. I have a 980 Ti and it runs at ~40 FPS on medium when it's 1440p. Btw, the game looks like GARBAGE when its on anything but high.

the 980 ti isnt a 1440p60fps card at max settings.

What would you class as a "full release game"? As we've seen over 2015 and the majority of 2016 so far is that a full release game is far from "perfect". These games are released with many bugs, optimization issues, server problems and the list goes on.. Ark Survival Evolved has given me 230~ hours of gameplay for £20 and now a DLC with more dinosaurs, more items and a brand new map [all of which nobody had a clue about, even I didn't and I beta test for Studio Wildcard] for £15 so as far as I'm concerned, I've got more play time and a better finished game for £35, some of which AAA games priced at £60+ couldn't achieve.

Class dismissed.

edit - english.

5 hours ago, niofalpha said:

Your reply is as closed minded as you're making out other people to be.

9 minutes ago, CynicalSalmon said:

What would you class as a "full release game"? As we've seen over 2015 and the majority of 2016 so far is that a full release game is far from "perfect". These games are released with many bugs, optimization issues, server problems and the list goes on.. Ark survival evolved has given me 230~ hours of gameplay for £20 and now a DLC with more dinosaurs, more items and a brand new map [all of which nobody had a clue about, even I didn't and I beta test for Studio Wildcard] for £15 so as far as I'm concerned I've got more play time and a better finished game for £35, some of which AAA games priced at £60+ couldn't achieve.

Class dismissed.

edit - english.

The point is, it's still early access, if they released it with bugs fixed, called it complete then released DLC no one would have as much of a problem with it. 

Your hours put into it is irrelivant 

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

2 minutes ago, Realist Peter Pan said:

The point is, it's still early access, if they released it with bugs fixed, and called it complete then released DLC no one would have as much of a problem with it. 

Your hours put into it is irrelivant 

My hours put into it are relevant due to the fact I've paid £35 for a game I've been getting more fun out of than a game I paid £60 for that's a "full release".

Edit - To address your shortened & more straight to the point than OP, people would still complain but in a different way for different reasons. If there's something to complain about it, someone will.