I feel like my parents spent too much money on me. What do I do?

Knaj

So recently, my parents bought me an $1,800 laptop for school for my birthday. It's the laptop I asked for, but $150 more expensive than the laptop I needed. My family is an upper-middle class family, so I know it really won't affect them, but I still feel really guilty about this. What do I do?

Nothing, you accept their generosity and feel happy that your parents a chill when it comes to buying you things.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Nothing. You asked for it and got it. Thank them.

Also this isnt reddit, so this isnt a subreddit....

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Nothing, you accept their generosity and feel happy that your parents a chill when it comes to buying you things.

But I almost want to tell them to return it for the cheaper one.

Either way I feel terrible.

Just now, Knaj said:

So recently, my parents bought me an $1,800 laptop for school for my birthday. It's the laptop I asked for, but $150 more expensive than the laptop I needed. My family is an upper-middle class family, so I know it really won't affect them, but I still feel really guilty about this. What do I do? (And if this is the wrong subreddit please link me to one I can talk about this with).

Appreciate it, be thankfull for it. I personally didnt grew up like that. Yes Material things are nice to have, theyre not everything tho.

you could repay their generosity by helping them out more with chores, or giving them gifts for father's/mother's days, or their birthdays. or you keep the laptop and tell them that its too much and they shouldnt give you anything for the next holiday/birthday to make up for it

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 minute ago, Knaj said:

But I almost want to tell them to return it for the cheaper one.

Either way I feel terrible.

pls why is your sig in Comic Sans I hate that font so much

Just use it normally and maybe show your parents what you are using it for like school or projects.  Just show them that it is being used and their money was well spent.  My parents splashed out to get me an iPad for Christmas last year and I have used it almost every day since then so their money was absolutely well spent.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

4 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Because we love Comic Sans allot,if your mad at me,you have the right to be...

6 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Also that Blue on the dark theme.

I wanted a $1650 laptop, it's the increase in value of $150 that has you upset and feeling spoiled...  ...Okay.

8 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Because we love Comic Sans allot,if your mad at me,you have the right to be...

I'm having a cringe attack call an ambulance

I would advise against making them second guess their purchasing decision, be a better son/daughter if you feel guilty(you shouldn't).

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5930k  |  Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified  |  RAM: 32 GB Crucial DDR4  |  GPU:  R9 290 Reference Tri-Crossfire w/Kraken g10 mod  | Case: Corsair 780t  |  Storage: Sandisk 960GB SSD, Crucial 960GB SSD, 128GB Sandisk SSD, Seagate 2TB Hard Drive, Seagate Archive Drive 8TB, HGST Deskstar 4TB  |  PSU: Rosewill Gold Lightning-1300, Display(s): Nixeus Vue 24"144Hz FreeSync, 50in TV, Yiynova MVP22U(V3) Tablet Monitor w/ Mechanical Arm  |  Cooling: Cosair H55, H105, 2*Kraken X41  |  Keyboard:  Rosewill Mechanical Brown Keyboard| Mouse: MX Master, G602  | Sound:  Sennheiser HD 700, Westone W40, SoundBlaster e5, Fiio e18

Just now, byalexandr said:

I'm having a cringe attack call an ambulance

Sure,what was there number again 69? yea that's its ima call the cringelance for you

Think of it like this. If that 150 makes the laptop that little bit better than the one below it, it may also last that little bit longer before you have to buy a new one. Ease your guilt by making the laptop last as long as possible before you need another.

23 minutes ago, Knaj said:

So recently, my parents bought me an $1,800 laptop for school for my birthday. It's the laptop I asked for, but $150 more expensive than the laptop I needed. My family is an upper-middle class family, so I know it really won't affect them, but I still feel really guilty about this. What do I do?

You could tell your parents

Well, if you begged for it and acted like a child for it, then you might feel gulity. If they didn't resist paying for it, then I don't see the problem as much. You could just do things for them in return

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

35 minutes ago, Knaj said:

Do well in school and let them know how much you appreciate their generosity. They gave it to you for school right? Then do right by them and make it so their purchase wasn't for nothing. If I bought my kid a laptop and saw him actually using to get school work done and it showed in his report cards or whatever, I'd be thrilled I contributed to his experience. Just a thought.

Don't feel guilty, appreciate what awesome parents you have and pay them back with helping them out and all that.

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | ASUS PRIME X570-PRO | 32GB 2400MHz Kingston HyperX Fury | RTX2060 6GB GDDR5 | 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD and 2x 960GB SATA SSD | Windows 11 22H2

HOME SERVER:

CPU: Intel Core i5-11500 | Gigabyte H470i Aorus Pro AX | 16GB DDR4 | Radeon RX570 8GB GDDR5 | 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | VMware ESXi 7.0 Update 3

LAPTOP:

Apple M2 Pro (10 core CPU, 16 Core GPU) | Apple MacBook Pro 14" 2023 | 16GB Unified Memory | 512GB SSD | macOS Ventura

I completely understand your situation. My parents always gave me the good stuffs, that I felt bad for it, but just appreciate what your parents have done for you. If you want to repay them, just be a good man. Your parents will be satisfied for it.

Hey,

You can really tell your parents care about you. If you want to repay them, show them good grades at school or at random moments offer to help with any work that needs to be done

Don't feel bad, they obviously love you and want you to succeed.  You asked for it, I'm pretty sure you said, "well this would be the best laptop for me."  So don't complain, you'll make them feel bad.

Help out around the house, get a job and help pay some bills (like maybe your phone bill or car insurance).  Show you appreciate it.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.