[RUMOR] Earlier than expected Vega launch?

Sammael
Just now, Hunter259 said:

Doesn't matter. They still haven't done anything wrong.

If they raise prices drastically like in the post I commented to then they would be in a potentially situation with anti-trust laws, if they do things gradually or keep pricing stable based off costs then you are right but this was all in response to a comment about arbitrary price jumping due to no competition.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

If they raise prices drastically like in the post I commented to then they would be in a potentially situation with anti-trust laws, if they do things gradually or keep pricing stable based off costs then you are right but this was all in response to a comment about arbitrary price jumping due to no competition.

Eh. While it's fucked up it is still their right to price their property so actually no, perfectly legal.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Wouldn't there be an issue where the market would not pay the prices demanded, which would reduce the sales from the product causing the business to either drop prices to more reasonable levels or go out of business?

Considering these are luxury commodities the market could just ignore the higher prices and go for lower end cards, or go iGPU master race? We are not talking staples here like food but a luxury item that has a sizeable second hand market behind it as well. Most of the "Prices would be $1,000 for a GTX650" comments are fairly invalid.

6 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Eh. While it's fucked up it is still their right to price their property so actually no, perfectly legal.

Speaking for Germany (and the EU as a whole) it is not. "§§ 19, 20, 29 GWB and Art. 102 AEUV" (http://wirtschaftslexikon.gabler.de/Definition/monopolmissbrauch.html <- german) forbids impure actions in cases of monopolys, you cant charge what you want. But you can certainly raise prices as long as authorities don't get suspicious or you have a good reason.

linux master race.

3 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

RX 490: 15% less than a 1070 for $319 to $350?

Im optimistic about this but it'll probably not happen. 

keep dreaming.

490 is def going to be 349 or higher, 319 is but a pipe dream. Vega is a performance Architecture, not a "efficiency" architecture as Polaris was. So expect performance equal to a 1070 more or less.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

keep dreaming.

490 is def going to be 349 or higher, 319 is but a pipe dream. Vega is a performance Architecture, not a "efficiency" architecture as Polaris was. So expect performance equal to a 1070 more or less.

I'm saying $319 because look at the 390. Ofc, that'll be a while after launch but still. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Just like the ISPs

Well there are technically more than one of those in most areas, key work technically also they been paying people off for years so the FTC doesn't screw with them

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well, it is very well possible, that Vega might have been taped out earlier this year and the only thinkg, that AMD is waiting for is a proper HBM2 suply. (GCN is starved for bandwith and a 12,5% Overclock (9GHz) on the rx 480 gives almost perfect scaling, even though the polaris 10 GPU has some nice compression) I hope they use 128ROPS on it.

6 hours ago, Kunter said:

Speaking for Germany (and the EU as a whole) it is not. "§§ 19, 20, 29 GWB and Art. 102 AEUV" (http://wirtschaftslexikon.gabler.de/Definition/monopolmissbrauch.html <- german) forbids impure actions in cases of monopolys, you cant charge what you want. But you can certainly raise prices as long as authorities don't get suspicious or you have a good reason.

I ask how do you know that charging what you want is illegal? That reads similarly to the american law (in a basic form).

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

38 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

I ask how do you know that charging what you want is illegal? That reads similarly to the american law (in a basic form).

Well, you can "calculate" that. But of course this only applies if you really overdo it. Like skyrocketing prices without major technical differences.

Financial authorities usually have some kind of insight in those numbers, but still, with a monopoly prices will raise, 1080 in a monopoly would probably cost 800-900 instead of 700, but not like titan x prices. 

linux master race.

20 hours ago, Prysin said:

Vega is a performance Architecture, not a "efficiency" architecture as Polaris was.

vega will be more power efficient than polaris though.

it may draw a bit more absolute power cause it's high end.

But perf/watt will be better.

UNZIP

Fun fact: AMD thought they stopped naming their architectures based on islands

But nooooooooope

120787_7ad80315494e4ebb8019.jpg

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

if you can increase performance more then power draw, then that makes perf/watt increase.

That still doesnt mean it will be a frugal GPU. Expect 250w draw, with high clock speeds and high performance. But a 150w 1070 contender. No, there wont be any from AMD this gen, nor the next. Not at those perf/watt envelopes

Just now, Prysin said:

if you can increase performance more then power draw, then that makes perf/watt increase.

That still doesnt mean it will be a frugal GPU. Expect 250w draw, with high clock speeds and high performance. But a 150w 1070 contender. No, there wont be any from AMD this gen, nor the next. Not at those perf/watt envelopes

That's what I meant. Vega is set to increase performance more than power draw, thus making it more efficient than Polaris.

I don't expect a frugal GPU, it's still a high end part.

Vega-and-Navi-being-produced-by-AMD.jpg?

19 hours ago, Humbug said:

Yeah, Polaris used a lot of power because it was designed as a laptop part. So it ramps up power usage a lot when you force it to run at desktop speeds. Vega will have a huge benefit of having HBM2 though. People severely underestimate the power usage of GDDR5.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro